• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

It's Wiggle Season!

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some of those "wiggles" are awfully large ....... serpents?!?
I bet the bumpers hate it, they probably want really small wiggles. I want some BIG ROUND wiggles!!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I bet the bumpers hate it, they probably want really small wiggles. I want some BIG ROUND wiggles!!
A wiggle with widely varying turn sizes would be quite fun and quite challenging. I guess that’s pretty much what you end up with in tracked out trees sometimes.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
These wiggles are deep enough that from the lift you lose sight of the people in them until they either come out the bottom or get spit out the side. Doesn't look like a lot of fun.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A wiggle with widely varying turn sizes would be quite fun and quite challenging. I guess that’s pretty much what you end up with in tracked out trees sometimes.
I have always loved the "the berm turn", there is an extra level of difficulty carving a turn on a burm. When I'm on the hill, I love finding this type turns, I can't wait to give the wiggle a try. Do they do this in Taos? I bough a pass there next season.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have always loved the "the berm turn", there is an extra level of difficulty carving a turn on a burm. When I'm on the hill, I love finding this type turns, I can't wait to give the wiggle a try. Do they do this in Taos? I bough a pass there next season.
Now that you're a pass holder you are responsible for developing the wiggle with other pass holders. :P

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No.
There are enough entertainments provided by Mother Nature.
lol, KingGrump fits you. :roflmao:
What you may not realize @Tex, is that as a Taos pass holder you'll be required to ski with @KingGrump at some point next season, and realize why he has the "King" part too. :ogbiggrin: And ski with the rest of us that show up for the Taos Gathering!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
lol, KingGrump fits you. :roflmao:

1618968961924.png

No point for man made Disneyesque rides when Mother Nature has already provided plenty of terrains of consequences.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Very artistic/aesthetic shot - noice!

I'm sensing a micro-niche for fanatics developing here; some one needs to develop a miniature cat and cat-rake for grooming said wiggles ..... something lawn mower size?

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was a turn from mid 60s - all upperbody rotation to make turns. Stein would demo them and promote on his evening show. Skiers to this day can't get rid of it.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The bumps (red) would ruin it for me, hard to carve on that, top of berm (blue) looks like the line...My GS skies are starting to wiggle.

View attachment 131939
People who ski them well seem to slarve around the bends with the tails of their skis sticking up above the edge.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What you may not realize @Tex, is that as a Taos pass holder you'll be required to ski with @KingGrump at some point next season, and realize why he has the "King" part too. :ogbiggrin: And ski with the rest of us that show up for the Taos Gathering!
Just a little fun banter coach, I'm sure the King can take it. I been trying to tone it down a bit, the Velvet Hammer has not had to delete my posts for a while now, so I must be doing good. I have posted selfies all over this forum, call me out on the hill and first round of beer is on me. :beercheer:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The Imperial Wiggle.

IMG_20210519_105219.jpg

This appears to have been developed by snowboarders as it has a definite bias at the top and some abrupt edge changes that don't coincide with how skier's would make the wiggle. It isn't obvious but it starts at the top left and then turns down the fall line.

It was particularly challenging being the first down it after fresh snow as the fresh would grab the tips of you skis while trying to skid the entire ski through the turns. My most successful technique was when I was heavily on my tips, almost buttering, with my tails sliding way up on (and out) of the trough.

Sponsor