• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

It's Wiggle Season!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Kirkwood Wiggle…
B17E25AD-9D56-45C0-AFCC-0940FC290691.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Diamond Peak Wiggle showed up under the chairlift for closing day when we visited there yesterday
IMG_6998.jpeg

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If that's the one off of Broadway #1, I happened to try it last Sunday. Pretty smooth and easy.
If you look closely it has a wellformed bump/upslope before each bank to help you to scrub spreed and unweight turn, so it is isn't as fast as it looks if it didn't have the bumps.

Unlike the wiggle at Palisades off of Shirley. The last turn there has a misaligned double bump thay will huck you out of the trough or turn you sideways,unless you air the second bump or bailout and skip it. Those that tried the last double bump seemed to have 50% success rate and take home some snow rash as a souvenir

Attachments

• VID-20230502-WA0000.mp4
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Proving that wiggles are made for the short snowboard? What’s the longest snowboard length people use, 165?
"The House" has a sizing guide that goes up to 168.

But how does that pic say anything about short snowboards? I'm not following.

James

Out There
Instructor
"The House" has a sizing guide that goes up to 168.

But how does that pic say anything about short snowboards? I'm not following.
Snowboards are short.
Wiggles develop mostly due to snowboards.
There’s three snowboarders in your wiggle photo.

Many snowboarders will aggressively push the back out on a turn, making them bot round turns. Those ones look pretty good.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If that's the one off of Broadway #1, I happened to try it last Sunday. Pretty smooth and easy.
If you look closely it has a wellformed bump/upslope before each bank to help you to scrub spreed and unweight turn, so it is isn't as fast as it looks if it didn't have the bumps.

Unlike the wiggle at Palisades off of Shirley. The last turn there has a misaligned double bump thay will huck you out of the trough or turn you sideways,unless you air the second bump or bailout and skip it. Those that tried the last double bump seemed to have 50% success rate and take home some snow rash as a souvenir
That wiggle has been pretty much erased. I think I did trip over it on the first no vis day. I was traversing around the top of that slope to come down around the corner.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Snowboards are short.
Wiggles develop mostly due to snowboards.
There’s three snowboarders in your wiggle photo.

Many snowboarders will aggressively push the back out on a turn, making them bot round turns. Those ones look pretty good.
but there's almost always a wiggle at Alta?

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
but there's almost always a wiggle at Alta?
That was my thought... And I skied one at Copper once that I saw a bunch of folks do, all skiers. And the big one at Palisades a couple of years ago seemed to be mostly skiers too. (That one required a pretty decent traverse to get to the top of... more skier friendly.) I don't think it's true that "Wiggles develop mostly due to snowboards."

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Interpretations…
No one, esp the person posting under this username, said only snowboarders make wiggles. It’s the shaping, phrased as “develop” Like banana bumps.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No one, esp the person posting under this username, said only snowboarders make wiggles. It’s the shaping, phrased as “develop” Like banana bumps.
I didn't say that you said that. I quoted you even. And I don't think it's correct. But I don't know.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well Ed Sheeran apparently didn’t copy Marvin Gaye either. Based on sheet music.

Sponsor