Know anyone who learned to ski after 50? Be honest.

Marker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied with a 79 year old today that got started 12 years ago. He skied the morning then took a lunch break making it back out to hit the soft spring corn on Superstar. The simple answer to this silly question is yes. @Marker will confirm as he was hanging at out with us on this spring perfect tailgate day.
A nice day for skiing and tailgating! We had a good conversation before you guys headed out for the afternoon. We did discuss the issues with both learning to ski after 50. Hope to ski with him next year!

jt10000

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm learning to downhill ski in my early 50s now. I did it perhaps 4 times as a teen, and once 15 or 20 years ago.

Then took it up for real a few years ago in my early 50s.

BUT I've cross country skied since college, with some racing over the years. So gliding on snow is not new to me. Standing on alpine skis and doing wedge turns on easy terrain, etc is trivial to me - so simple. Hockey stops at low speed no problem from the start. I can skate around base areas really easily too....

But really skiing right - really using the edges and shape of the ski - is not so easy. There's nothing like that on race-width XC skis, which are about 44mm underfoot. Even the speed is disconcerting at times. I'm trying to learn to carve and that's only slowly coming. I can do OK brushed turns, but not good carving....yet.

My wife is similar but from a less athletic background, learning to XC ski at age 30. No racing. She's got the alpine bug too.

jt10000

Getting on the lift
Skier
Also, I've only had one lesson and want more, but cost is an issue. The wife has had more - she's the budget holder and wants us to save money. BUT when she's thought of taking lessons I've said "Do it!" because I wanted her to get hooked on the sport. And now she's hooked.

We put our boy in ski school for two full days last season at Killington and that hooked him (he's under 10 so I guess off-topic for this thread LOL).

Next year I'll get more lessons. In the meantime, it's a ton of time on YouTube.

Actually - we did take lessons that one time we skiied 15 years ago, but that was a group lesson for first-time skiers that was an add-on to our rentals. So much of it was pre-skiing basics and the wedge turn: "This is how to put on your skis. This is how to stand. Let's stand with our toes together. This is a pizza. You can use it to turn if you are not in a flat place like we are now." Good for never-evers but after XC ski competence it was useless to us. So the instructor told us we could go after 15 minutes.....

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Dreams are made of corduroy...
Skier
I'm learning to downhill ski in my early 50s now. I did it perhaps 4 times as a teen, and once 15 or 20 years ago.
A man in his prime, you will master it pretty quickly when you give it enough time on the slopes.;)

But really skiing right

Ahhh, that might take some time. I can‘t think of a single user around here who would come forward and say: I ski right, I ski great, I ski perfectly.:ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:

jt10000

Getting on the lift
Skier
And I should not have used the word "right" - I mean really using the skis edges and shape to turn and not just skid or slow down. It's a journey.

Among other things, the offseason is going to involve thinking a lot about the article Deceleration Lives in the Future.

Tony Storaro

Dreams are made of corduroy...
Skier

Après Skier

Safer at Home
Skier
Also, I've only had one lesson and want more, but cost is an issue.
Ski lessons in the US can be very expensive. My sister in CT has found good deals flying her family to Europe for a week of ski school. She swears that when all was added up: flight-lodging-food-tickets-lessons the pricing was more affordable than some domestic trips she’s taken. I mention this because your profile says you live in NYC and I know from growing up in the tri-state area that airfare from JFK and EWR to Europe is sometimes a great value.

Of course, this year is not the best time for travel to Europe but if enough people in the US and Europe follow the advice of epidemiologists, the pandemic will hopefully be stymied in time for some lovely skiing in the Alps & Pyrenees.

Sponsor

Staff online