• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Let’s Talk about guests!

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am amazed at the off the wall and clueless things guests can do. Here is a smattering of things we found on arrival courtesy of "guests."
  • Dents in the ceiling from ??Popgun? Champagne bottles?
  • A stolen 1st aid kit
  • Artwork taken off the wall and moved to another floor
  • Furniture moved all over the place from floor to floor... indoor and out.
  • A bathroom door that had been crowbarred open with the resulting damage to the wooden doorframe.
  • Oven racks removed from oven and stashed behind the outdoor hot tub
  • Use of an abrasive (sandpaper or steel wool maybe) in an attempt to clean a spill on a walnut table and a bathroom cabinet
  • Two electrical circuits fried by a Tesla
  • Virtually everything in the kitchen cabinets moved around and thrown back in despite signs and photos showing where things go
  • A tea kettle burned on the outside beyond repair
  • Multiple melted kitchen items including one of those govino stemless wine glasses.
  • Use of bleach, yes bleach, on a rug to clean up dog pee when there are no pets allowed.
  • A velveteen chair with a permanent, large ass mark from someone sitting in a wet bathing suit.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am amazed at the off the wall and clueless things guests can do. Here is a smattering of things we found on arrival courtesy of "guests."
  • A stolen 1st aid kit
  • A bathroom door that had been crowbarred open with the resulting damage to the wooden doorframe.
  • Use of an abrasive (sandpaper or steel wool maybe) in an attempt to clean a spill on a walnut table and a bathroom cabinet
  • Virtually everything in the kitchen cabinets moved around and thrown back in despite signs and photos showing where things go
  • Multiple melted kitchen items including one of those govino stemless wine glasses.
  • Use of bleach, yes bleach, on a rug to clean up dog pee when there are no pets allowed.
  • A velveteen chair with a permanent, large ass mark from someone sitting in a wet bathing suit.
This is blows my mind! :doh:
I will admit that we moved stuff around in the kitchen coupboards at the condo we just stayed in at Snowmass becuase they had things spread out (like three short stacks of dinner plates which we put into one stack) and we wanted a place to put our stuff when we arrived.

Question for you: Do you have a few empty cupboards for the vacationers to put their stuff while they're staying there?

Last edited:
TS
bbinder

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
  • A stolen 1st aid kit
Wow.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just in case anyone is wondering, this is the location Jerez is talking about.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
  • A stolen 1st aid kit
Stunning.
Are these from numerous sets of "guests"?
Are these paying "guests" doing this to your property? Or friends/acquaintances?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So... Just throwing it out there... We rented a place in Colorado and my then two year old took his little plastic hammer and was hitting the bed post with it. I thought, it's plastic. Turns out he put some nice new finishes on the bed post!! So .. It may not be what you think is happening... :geek: :ogbiggrin:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just in case anyone is wondering, this is the location Jerez is talking about.
Oooh. Missed that along the way somehow. May need to pull some hard-partying retiree nordic skiing friends together to ski at SMR and then trash the place while dancing on the table in our wool knickers!

Seriously, looks great, but now I'd be a little self conscious about it. Mixing business with pleasure and all that.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wouldn’t have a problem renting from her. I would, however treat her home with care

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I sure hope it wasn't your Pugski "friends and family." Horrible!

Sounds like you need references and, say, an IQ test before you should rent to someone. And maybe a quiz about cleaning techniques.

A) What should I use to clean up a spill on the rug? (check as many as apply)
  1. Blot with paper towel, try club soda (unflavored) and rubbing with a rag
  2. Spread the spill around so the whole rug matches
  3. Bleach
  4. Rug cleaner (follow directions)

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
  • A stolen 1st aid kit
And people wonder why Airbnbs are so expensive. Yeesh.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So... Just throwing it out there... We rented a place in Colorado and my then two year old took his little plastic hammer and was hitting the bed post with it. I thought, it's plastic. Turns out he put some nice new finishes on the bed post!! So .. It may not be what you think is happening... :geek: :ogbiggrin:

Heh. There was once a Gathering house where the game was to put a water bottle on the cathedral ceiling beam.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I sure hope it wasn't your Pugski "friends and family." Horrible!

Sounds like you need references and, say, an IQ test before you should rent to someone. And maybe a quiz about cleaning techniques.

A) What should I use to clean up a spill on the rug? (check as many as apply)
  1. Blot with paper towel, try club soda (unflavored) and rubbing with a rag
  2. Spread the spill around so the whole rug matches
  3. Bleach
  4. Rug cleaner (follow directions)
I'm not sure how Evolv works for vacation rentals, but I know the past few times I rented an Airbnb I had to submit a request and was actually told by one of the hosts that my reviews were great.
I'm wondering how many people actually check reviews before they agree to a VR

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Stunning.
Are these from numerous sets of "guests"?
Are these paying "guests" doing this to your property? Or friends/acquaintances?
Indeed. To me, guests are people I know, or one degree separated, who are staying for free or a deep discount. Anyone paying market rate is a vacation renter or something of that ilk.

Sponsor

Staff online