• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Let's talk Baseball!

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Back when the wildcard didn’t matter, this series would be no big deal.
By last year’s rules, a wild card would have meant a 1 game playoff with the Padres. This year it’s a 3 game series with the Brewers. I’d say the wild card mattered more in the past.

dm

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Last night the Seattle Mariners qualified for the playoffs. The second time in team history and the first time since the George W. Bush administration.

James

Out There
Instructor
By last year’s rules, a wild card would have meant a 1 game playoff with the Padres. This year it’s a 3 game series with the Brewers. I’d say the wild card mattered more in the past.

dm
Before that, 1994-2011. One wild card per league. Made little difference if the Yankees or Red Sox wildcarded or won the division. Few cared before that one game playoff change in the 2012 season, to 2019 + 2021. - Two wildcards per league.

2022- Three wildcards per league.

I agree the one game playoff was terrible.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Last night the Seattle Mariners qualified for the playoffs. The second time in team history and the first time since the George W. Bush administration.
The Mariners made the playoffs in 1995, 1997, 2000, and 2001. So ... fifth time in team history. First time since 01.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's never too late for the Mets to choke it all way. Yikes! No doubt the final out will be Vobelbach waddling in to a double play..

James

Out There
Instructor
It's never too late for the Mets to choke it all way. Yikes! No doubt the final out will be Vobelbach waddling in to a double play..
I confess I’ve been most entertained by the Mets drama since they choked on a 7 game lead with 17 to play. 2007? Then Tom Glavine pitched in a one game playoff, gave up 6 or 7 runs in the first inning! It was over before many were seated.

Even 2015, when they went to the WS, before the trade deadline there was endless drama and heartbreak.

This year really looked different. Could still be. We’ll see. They’ll make the wildcard at least.

James

Out There
Instructor
I suppose if they beat the Dodgers anything is possible
If they beat the Padres, then the Dodgers, the end of season choking will be forgiven.

The thing is, they’ve still won 98 games so far! The Yankees probably had a worse, and longer, stretch of being terrible. Who knows if they can pull it together. They keep losing closers, and catch the no hitting flu.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And the Phillies, if lucky will back into the playoffs but it doesn't seem like either them or the Brewers want that last playoff spot.
Not backing in tonight! Nola had a perfect game into the 7th and Alvarado has shut them down since. Three solo shots from Schwarber (2 for an NL leading 46) and Stott. Onto the 9th.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Be fun to have Harper back in the playoffs. What a collapse by the Mets to end up as the 4 seed...as a Nat fan I hope the Padres advance. I think the Mariners Jays series could be interesting too. Lets go!

James

Out There
Instructor
What a collapse by the Mets to end up as the 4 seed
All they had to do was win one of three against Atlanta last weekend. The old Mets would now go into a death spiral after that. We’ll see if it’s different.

The Braves still have to win one to clinch, Mets can’t lose to Nats. They got rained out today.

James

Out There
Instructor
Atlanta clinches.

Radio call only, WFAN, Judge #62
John Sterling with Jeff Nelson (filling in for Susan Waldman)

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's been fun watching Albert Pujols break the 700 HR barrier. He's hitting them in meaningful situations too!
This fan's a classic, he caught perhaps Albert's last one, #703:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All they had to do was win one of three against Atlanta last weekend. The old Mets would now go into a death spiral after that. We’ll see if it’s different.

The Braves still have to win one to clinch, Mets can’t lose to Nats. They got rained out today.
As a Phillies fan, I couldn't really have said which I'd rather see win the East, but the Mets do seem to be making a habit of collapsing when it counts. So folks around here wanted to play the Mets rather than the Cardinals because their team aura is not great right now compared to Pujol's inspired performance. But we will have Wheeler and Nola pitching as the 1-2 punch this weekend.

Sponsor

Staff online