• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long and heavy charger skis

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is how myself and @François Pugh ski in Ontario on our charger skis…..hahaha

Thought of this video when in Mont Tremblant as I twice went over rollers at speed to discover freshly formed mogul fields that I had to do “a Candide” through and made it out alive on my CT 3.0.
Do find I ski very aggressively on my CT skis as they reward (but don’t require) really driving the ski.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
^^Candide can do a fine jump. And he is moving at terminal speed without making turns. The jumps and speed are exhilarating to watch.

But I cringed as he cross-cut straight through a crowd, cutting off a slow-moving back-seat skier. So unnecessary. Why did he leave that bit in? Does he think it's fun to do that?

I worry that this video will encourage impressionable admirers to engage in this kind of aggressive disrespect for other skiers.

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 9.56.14 AM.png

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
This is how myself and @François Pugh ski in Ontario on our charger skis…..hahaha

Thought of this video when in Mont Tremblant as I twice went over rollers at speed to discover freshly formed mogul fields that I had to do “a Candide” through and made it out alive on my CT 3.0.
Do find I ski very aggressively on my CT skis as they reward (but don’t require) really driving the ski.
Maybe Greg skis that way, but not me. If you see me with my skis above my head, it's because I am crashing. In the past I have basically schussed (straight-lined) every mogul run at Tremblant though (on SGs).

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^Candide can do a fine jump. And he is moving at terminal speed without making turns. The jumps and speed are exhilarating to watch.

But I cringed as he cross-cut straight through a crowd, cutting off a slow-moving back-seat skier. So unnecessary. Why did he leave that bit in? Does he think it's fun to do that?

I worry that this video will encourage impressionable admirers to engage in this kind of aggressive disrespect for other skiers.

View attachment 138721
It’s part of his repertoire, so to speak. If one watches a lot of his videos, there’s quite a bit of “skiing through the crowd” bits. There’s also no way to know if those other skiers are active participants in the video. Not defending, but I don’t believe the intention is to look like an asshat.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
As @Wendy mentioned, lots of pre-planning in all his videos as he wouldn’t be launching blind over those larger jumps without knowing what’s in the landing area. The same with going at that speed through a mogul field and having to worry about what the other skiers will do on the hill.

Agree that it looks sketchy and disrespectful though.

I’ve actually seen quite a few “pro skier” videos where it’s obvious there’s no pre-planning and they are going 50mph plus on crowded groomers and it makes me cringe.
I like to ski fast but not when anyone else is around!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

View attachment 138721
Looks to me like a case of being jaded due to experience. To Candide, with his timing and ability to judge time and distance, that's not even close to too close. To the backseat skier, it very well might seem otherwise.

dcoral

Putting on skis
Skier
Thoughts on helping me decide between Mantra M6 184 vs. 191cm? I'm 5'9" 190 lbs and been skiing on 205cm Rossignol Dualtec Generation GS racing skis (95/62/82) for the past 20 years. I did a little bit of GS ski racing back in college and kept them as my recreational skis, as I love the stability and feeling the G's, and just being a bit different than everyone else by skiing on really long "vintage" race skis. I want to try adding wide skis to play on the backside too. My initial thought is that the Mantra M6 191cm would feel like a shorter fully cambered ski equivalent because of the rocker shape? So maybe the 191 would feel to me like a 175 old school ski? I am leaning toward buying the M6 in 191.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
buddy is 172cm and 95kg, he skied the 184 perfectly fine and couldnt "outski it" meaning it was a lot of ski but still fun.

m6 is not as burly as a mantra 102, but still quite burly, but if you want a huge ski... suuuure? ;)

they require some speed to come alive, I dont think many has demoed the 191 yet, I havent received mine yet, and they wasnt made last year for demos.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Saw (again) a pair of 191 cm M5 at the local ski swap in Delaware in my BSL 345. They have been there every year for the last few. I know the guy trying to sell them as he worked part-time at the shop and has the same foot size as me. I doubt there's no more than a handful of guys our size in the area that could make proper use of them.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
never loved the m5's

I do have the mantra 102 and katana 108 in 191cm, and my m6 191cm should be incoming soon.

make use of them, not really, but at 6'3 and 230'ish coming into this season Im fat enough to get them going and flexing ;)

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Thoughts on helping me decide between Mantra M6 184 vs. 191cm? I'm 5'9" 190 lbs and been skiing on 205cm Rossignol Dualtec Generation GS racing skis (95/62/82) for the past 20 years. I did a little bit of GS ski racing back in college and kept them as my recreational skis, as I love the stability and feeling the G's, and just being a bit different than everyone else by skiing on really long "vintage" race skis. I want to try adding wide skis to play on the backside too. My initial thought is that the Mantra M6 191cm would feel like a shorter fully cambered ski equivalent because of the rocker shape? So maybe the 191 would feel to me like a 175 old school ski? I am leaning toward buying the M6 in 191.
I really liked my m5 191. Im 6’3” 195’ish western skier. I never felt like i wanted them any longer. Id be inclined to say your size the 184’s unless you like to just haul a$$ in wide open terrain and make as few turns as possible. I actually demoed the m5s in 184 when i was looking years ago, couldnt find demo 191. I probably would of been happier with the 184 in tight terrain.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier

This popped up the other day. Not the heaviest, but look like a good deal.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier

This popped up the other day. Not the heaviest, but look like a good deal.
Ask @Drahtguy Kevin about those skis. Awesome tune and rail like a freight train.
Still available. Skied no more than 10 days or so.
Seriously.

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Skier
I've gotten about 12 days this year on the Mantra 102 in 191cm, and so far I REALLY, REALLY, like them. I can't believe how easy they are to pivot and dump speed(is that that whole 3d sidecut-beats me??). They are real fun in the trees and bumps too. Id call this ski 'playful', but Im not sure many would agree. I think they are more maneuverable than the M5's(which I loved). This afternoon was our first real clear day(more than 2 chair vis) after some fresh snow(6" of fresh and top of hill to bottom lift station views) which I interpret as no speed limit -make as few turns as possible kinda day. It was pretty tracked out by the time I got up there. They definitely like going fast but got pushed around in the chop at higher speeds more than I expected. These are my daily driver and I'm QUITE happy about that, but I'm kinda thinking about something abit stiffer and heavier especially for spring skiing when those clumps and crud get alot wetter and heavier. I keep having the Dynstar Mpro 105 pop up in my mind....

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Skier

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've gotten about 12 days this year on the Mantra 102 in 191cm, and so far I REALLY, REALLY, like them. I can't believe how easy they are to pivot and dump speed(is that that whole 3d sidecut-beats me??). They are real fun in the trees and bumps too. Id call this ski 'playful', but Im not sure many would agree. I think they are more maneuverable than the M5's(which I loved). This afternoon was our first real clear day(more than 2 chair vis) after some fresh snow(6" of fresh and top of hill to bottom lift station views) which I interpret as no speed limit -make as few turns as possible kinda day. It was pretty tracked out by the time I got up there. They definitely like going fast but got pushed around in the chop at higher speeds more than I expected. These are my daily driver and I'm QUITE happy about that, but I'm kinda thinking about something abit stiffer and heavier especially for spring skiing when those clumps and crud get alot wetter and heavier. I keep having the Dynstar Mpro 105 pop up in my mind....

have both of those skis and use them in the ways you envision. It’s a good split - LP if you are either going hard or the snow is thick, Mantra 102 otherwise. The LP just crushes spring crud and was honestly almost a cheat code for spring conditions at Jackson.

Sponsor

Staff online