• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long and heavy charger skis

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yes 191cm when he gets the hang of "3d radius" and apply weight, speed and edge angle they produce long or shorter turns, short enough to be a great workout
MANTRA 102-1.jpg
Mantra 102-2.jpg

So, did I get it right?

I kinda feel I did. Next-the Jesters.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I experienced, at some point, the MX99 and the MX98 that followed it (but did not replace it) being very different skis. One was much more ski. Was that right, at least at some point, when the change over happened, at least?
He would want the version of the mx98 that came before the mx99 (aka the best version). Same as the version before the bmx98. A unicorn but it came in 194cm. The old 105 wide Stormrider Pro that came in a 201cm is worth keeping an eye out for too.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
beein tall'ish at 190cm I'm always sad that its so darn hard to get a proper length ski. long skis are fun! I wanna ski something bigger than me.

That said with some skis that are properly built, like M102 191cm, you dont need more, but thats amingst a very few.

also sadly a lot of longer skis are built wrong in longer lengths, like 191 and 193 enforcers... they are worse than 185/186 versions of same ski!

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
@Tony Storaro M102 @ 191 can move pretty good. Quick ski this morning.:cool:

Btw, I think the gps glitched.... 62 is my tops, and I didn't feel any where near that today...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 6.05.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 6.05.06 PM.png
    892.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Btw, I think the gps glitched.... 62 is my tops, and I didn't feel any where near that today...

These are not for me man. I am not big enough to ski these. This is a Xmas gift for one of my buddies. Will see what he has to say after testing them.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

For the "more" ski for heavy spring crud you referenced earlier, may I propose a Monster 108?

Used shouldn't matter much.

I mean they can't really be killed. :ogbiggrin:

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Skier
For the "more" ski for heavy spring crud you referenced earlier, may I propose a Monster 108?

Our local shop had a pair of those on really good sale a couple years back and I passed on them. -Regret-

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We can be your buddies too? *goes poring through the Kessler catalog*

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Yeah, thing is this year I decided to play Santa and direct my skiing gear budget to other people. I already have enough skis, so decided to make happy other people.
I will buy Hero Masters for myself later this season or maybe next one while another buddy of mine got Scott Centric 10' #5 and another-Garmin Tactix Delta :ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:

What can I do man, life is short, one needs to do good.

dcoral

Putting on skis
Skier
Very happy with the Volkl Mantra M6 184 after a trip to Park City. Maybe I should have tried the 191 instead, but already purchased. The 184 didn't feel long at all, actually super light and easy (but I'm used to skiing 201 GS racing skis). This will be my playful, maneuverable ski for trees and moguls.

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Skier
Figured I put this here instead of starting a new thread. I picked up the Mantra 102 191cm last summer as my everyday ski. I've been really liking it as my everyday ski. It's very playful, can hold a line at speed, bust through decent crud, likes the bumps and trees.. This year family needs have caused some havoc on my skiing so instead of my normal 90-100 days, It'll be more like 70 something. That being said these Mantras have about 60 days on them and I'm getting some delam between the full length titanal and the layer beneath. My sidewalls get beat up from banging into each other. This is my second pair of mantras to have delam issues. My m5's had similar issue with the 'H' shaped titanal layer after about 90'ish days... I've got the 102's drying right now with some epoxy injected into the space, hopefully they can hold up for our last couple weeks of skiing this year.

Attached is a my attempt at getting a photo of the area of concern. My M5s looked like this a few days before they totally came apart under me.

Long backstory lead up for the question.. is there a ski in this class that has similar ski characteristics but perhaps more bulletproof construction? I'd take a heavier ski, and a stiffer ski, but not a lighter or softer ski.

67010507790__8E4D8859-F37D-4FD3-9F35-F5A00E3796C2.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That being said these Mantras have about 60 days on them and I'm getting some delam between the full length titanal and the layer beneath. My sidewalls get beat up from banging into each other. This is my second pair of mantras to have delam issues. My m5's had similar issue with the 'H' shaped titanal layer after about 90'ish days... I've got the 102's drying right now with some epoxy injected into the space, hopefully they can hold up for our last couple weeks of skiing this year.

Long backstory lead up for the question.. is there a ski in this class that has similar ski characteristics but perhaps more bulletproof construction? I'd take a heavier ski, and a stiffer ski, but not a lighter or softer ski.

No idea on a "better" mantra, but I'd page @Philpug and the Mad Russian Skis guy about skis with better construction.

Mad Russian know skis, but I'm a bit foggy on his handle at the moment. Maybe @Ivan?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You are talking about @mishka ; he and I have spoken about problems like this before and he refused to build me a ski that had a big flex mismatch between laminate and core layers - for just this reason. He -will-build a ski that has perforated laminae so that the epoxy bridges through each lamina. Yes there is perforated Titanal available to builders - this is not a new thing - but I don't know what on-market skis have it.

Last edited:

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Durability is really hard to predict, but I don’t recall too many people complaining about breaking Legend Pro Riders/M-Pro 105 skis. The replacement next year is in my opinion quite different so if you want one maybe go for it now (I have a backup pair).

The other thing that comes mind in this genera is the Heritage Lab R99 (https://heritagelabskis.com/products/r99) which is a project Marshal Olson has going on. I think the R99 is basically a race core in one of Blossom’s freeride shapes and I look forward to trying mine next season.

Also, ON3P and Moment skis are famously durable. If you’re open to more tail stocker the Wren 102 Ti or Commander 98/108 might be worth looking at.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I just picked up a lightly used pair of 194 mx98s. 30m radius. I understand Kastle only pressed 50 pairs in this length for the 3-4 year run. I love the shorter ones of this vintage so I thought I’d give these a try just for fun. Here they are next to a 193/30 gs ski. Looks like they’ll ski a little shorter. The gs skis are stiffer too. Just need to find a pair of Pivot 15s H Harlaut edition.

5C6C5A43-E8FC-44D1-9FB9-E7CFBD57F3D5.jpeg

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Skier
The other thing that comes mind in this genera is the Heritage Lab R99 (https://heritagelabskis.com/products/r99) which is a project Marshal Olson has going on. I think the R99 is basically a race core in one of Blossom’s freeride shapes and I look forward to trying mine next season.

Anyone have experience with his crash replacement program? Sounds like he really stands behind his skis.

Sponsor

Staff online