• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'm a fan of the Solly STH 13 but I just spent the morning on a demo ski with an Attack 11 rental binding. Assuming that they make a retail version, it may end up as the least expensive choice. I did ski some side country but it wasn't very powdery and I didn't feel like doing a field test putting the binding on in loose snow. It does seem very easy to step into on a packed surface.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm a fan of the Solly STH 13 but I just spent the morning on a demo ski with an Attack 11 rental binding. Assuming that they make a retail version, it may end up as the least expensive choice. I did ski some side country but it wasn't very powdery and I didn't feel like doing a field test putting the binding on in loose snow. It does seem very easy to step into on a packed surface.
They do...
tyrolia-attack-11-ski-bindings-2016-black-orange.jpg

It is a pretty darn good 11DIN binder for $169 MAP but the 13 has a better heel and is worth the $30.00 uncharge, especially on a 100mm ski.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My bindings seem to have caught on to my plans and have behaved themselves today. Interesting. I'll keep an eye on them and see if they get cranky again, or if I can't deal with them in soft snow.

The Sth2 13 does not have a touring option, the WTR refers to it's ability to accept a WTR (Walk To Ride) sole. WTR is not DIN and it is not a full Tech Sole, it bridges the gap between the two. The Sth2 13 toe allows for the adjustment to accommodate the taller boot sole by being able to adjust the toe height. There is no difference in stance height or extra weight and there is no non WTR option when it comes to the Sth2 series. The adjustable toe is something Salomon has been doing for almost 40 years going back to the 727, and by adding some rollers to the toe wings they can now add an acronym and call it WTR.

Thanks, Phil. So it's just a binding that allows you to take a lugged sole like on a touring boot and ski with it?

I was confused by the wording here: http://www.skiessentials.com/2015-salomon-sth2-wtr-13-bindings.html -- " The Walk to Ride Certified STH2's gives you the ability to modify the bindings into a skinning compatible binding to explore the back-country."

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My bindings seem to have caught on to my plans and have behaved themselves today. Interesting. I'll keep an eye on them and see if they get cranky again, or if I can't deal with them in soft snow.

Thanks, Phil. So it's just a binding that allows you to take a lugged sole like on a touring boot and ski with it?

I was confused by the wording here: http://www.skiessentials.com/2015-salomon-sth2-wtr-13-bindings.html -- " The Walk to Ride Certified STH2's gives you the ability to modify the bindings into a skinning compatible binding to explore the back-country."

Not a full tech sole but WTR, which is different. Salomon offers the Warden which accommodates a full tech sole. It can be confusing, I know.

Regular DIN sole:

WTR Sole:
8b989adf2642924fb6d5e356b89d9d24.jpg

It is a little taller and a bit of rocker. which makes it easier to walk. It is backwards compatible with any current Lange with replaceable soles.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I ... see. But wait, I had the Scarpa Domina which was marketed as a freeride boot and had big chunky soles and walk mode, but didn't have the tech binding holes. Would that still be called a tech sole?

So if I want a binding that's easier to enter than the Marker Royal series - price ignored - for a regular downhill style boot, would I be happier with http://www.skiessentials.com/2016-tyrolia-attack-13-bindings.html or http://www.skiessentials.com/2015-salomon-sth2-wtr-13-bindings.html ?
If you want a binding for the Tech Sole from the Scarpa and is easier to get in than the Marker, look to the Salomon Warden. That will accommodate both soles because if has a sliding AFD.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If you want a binding for the Tech Sole from the Scarpa and is easier to get in than the Marker, look to the Salomon Warden. That will accommodate both soles because if has a sliding AFD.

No, sorry, that's not what I meant. Two separate topics. I was just asking for my own edification - is it still called a Tech sole if it's an AT boot but doesn't have tech fixtures (ie works with Fritschi and such)?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
No, sorry, that's not what I meant. Two separate topics. I was just asking for my own edification - is it still called a Tech sole if it's an AT boot but doesn't have tech fixtures (ie works with Fritschi and such)?
No, I her referred to to as one.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The attack bindings are really easy to get in and also very little pressure is required on the heel lever to get out.
We have been switching from Marker royals to attacks since last season whenever possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When you have more availability, could you translate? ;-)
It looks like your Scarpa has a Vibram sole (different than a full Tech sole) bit grippy none the less. For the to release correctly, it needs a sliding AFD. The only option with that and an easier heel (same one that is on the Sth2 13) to step in.

Also, I will send you a new decoder ring, you might still be using the old one that was only Epicski compatible.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The attack bindings are really easy to get in and also very little pressure is required on the heel lever to get out.
We have been switching from Marker royals to attacks since last season whenever possible.

I have the Attack 12 on my Great Joys and they are my favorite binding thus far.

Sounds like I may need to order some number of these. Fortunately my quiver has been shrinking recently as the Santa Ana wipes out all contenders.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Today I hiked up 4 o'clock at Breck to ski Horseshoe Bowl, which is hike only until the T-Bar opens. When I got to the top, it was so difficult to get into these bindings on a slope that my instructor had to stab the tails into the snow and support the front so I could stomp in. The snow on the run itself was challenging, and I fell and popped a binding off. I was standing in a couple of feet of mank, crud, and soft stuff. Again, I couldn't get into my bindings, and needed his help to get back in.

Sick of these bindings. Ordering Attack 13s tonight.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Today I hiked up 4 o'clock at Breck to ski Horseshoe Bowl, which is hike only until the T-Bar opens. When I got to the top, it was so difficult to get into these bindings on a slope that my instructor had to stab the tails into the snow and support the front so I could stomp in. The snow on the run itself was challenging, and I fell and popped a binding off. I was standing in a couple of feet of mank, crud, and soft stuff. Again, I couldn't get into my bindings, and needed his help to get back in.

Sick of these bindings. Ordering Attack 13s tonight.
Sacrifice old bindings to Ullr, do not sell or pass these bindings on to anyone else. These bindings are possessed and need have the bad juju end. NOW.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Sacrifice old bindings to Ullr, do not sell or pass these bindings on to anyone else. These bindings are possessed and need have the bad juju end. NOW.

What do I say for brake width for the Attack 13s for the Santa Anas - 100?

Sponsor