• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm choughed that was so thoroughly thought out, it's usually tougher than that.

Hopefully not so "choughed" that you developed a cough, or you might have passed through to the other side, and bought the farm. Thoroughly.

James

Out There
Instructor
The $5million comma-
———————-
The case began in 2014, when three truck drivers sued the dairy for what they said was four years’ worth of overtime pay they had been denied. Maine law requires time-and-a-half pay for each hour worked after 40 hours, but it carved out exemptions for:

The canning, processing, preserving, freezing, drying, marketing, storing, packing for shipment or distribution of:
(1) Agricultural produce;
(2) Meat and fish products; and
(3) Perishable foods.
What followed the last comma in the first sentence was the crux of the matter: “packing for shipment or distribution of.” The court ruled that it was not clear whether the law exempted the distribution of the three categories that followed, or if it exempted packing for the shipment or distribution of them.

Had there been a comma after “shipment,” the meaning would have been clear. David G. Webbert, a lawyer who represented the drivers, stated it plainly in an interview in March: “That comma would have sunk our ship.”
——————-

James

Out There
Instructor
Let’s not forget the apostrophe.

———————-

Missing Apostrophe in Facebook Post Lands a Man in Defamation Court​

An Australian man claimed a real estate agent did not pay its “employees” retirement funds. The lack of a punctuation mark may cost him thousands.

…On Thursday, a judge in New South Wales ruled that the lack of an apostrophe on the word “employees” could be read to suggest a “systematic pattern of conduct” by Mr. Gan’s agency rather than an accusation involving one employee. So she allowed the case to proceed.
———————-
www.nytimes.com/2021/10/11/world/australia/facebook-post-missing-apostrophe-defamation.html

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Let’s not forget the apostrophe.

———————-

Missing Apostrophe in Facebook Post Lands a Man in Defamation Court​

An Australian man claimed a real estate agent did not pay its “employees” retirement funds. The lack of a punctuation mark may cost him thousands.

…On Thursday, a judge in New South Wales ruled that the lack of an apostrophe on the word “employees” could be read to suggest a “systematic pattern of conduct” by Mr. Gan’s agency rather than an accusation involving one employee. So she allowed the case to proceed.
———————-
www.nytimes.com/2021/10/11/world/australia/facebook-post-missing-apostrophe-defamation.html
Do you wander the interwebz looking for these random cases?
I can only imagine what you're find behind the next web door.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
259823773_4769749623076196_5648130435535905022_n.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thought this was a bit funny.
The dude who tweeted to Tom got a few things wrong.
Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.37.15 AM.png

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty sure that "Three Year Letterman" is a comedy twitter account. It was supposed to be funny!

I'll add this one that I noticed just a little while ago...

1649864628489.png

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Back in the '90s if you ran the string zzzz through autocorrect, Microsoft Word would change it to sex.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Question for the tribe.
I was just typing about a lotion with SPF and was wondering if it's.
a spf
or
an spf

I mean think about it.
A sun protection factor
or
An Ess Pee Eff

:huh:

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Question for the tribe.
a spf
or
an spf

I mean think about it.
A sun protection factor
or
An Ess Pee Eff

:huh:
You answered your own question.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Question for the tribe.
a spf
or
an spf

I mean think about it.
A sun protection factor
or
An Ess Pee Eff
The answer is a simple one. If the first letter of the next word is a vowel you use "an" but if the first letter of the next word is consonants than it is "a".

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If the first letter of the next word is a vowel you use "an" but if the first letter of the next word is consonants than it is "a".
Not really... it's based on pronunciation/sound, not spelling. So "an SPF" is correct, even though S is a consonant. Because when we say "S" it's pronounced like "ess" which starts with a vowel sound.

So most acronyms with consonants, where you say the letters, would have "an" before them. "An MBA degree", for instance, is correct - when we say "m" it starts with a vowel sound.

On the other side, words that start with "u" are often pronounced with a consonant y sound... so it would be "a universal remote" for instance. Or for acronyms, it could be "a US made object".

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Eh, with things like SPF you have to consider the cases where it doesn't take an article at all - just like octane number.

"I am looking for SPF50"
"I am pumping 92 Octane"

Now here's a question - why why why do USAian writers not use proper past tenses? I mean come on people.

'Well-lighted' is fine for someone who spent time doing a movie set and used a deliberate craft , but sorry, the hallway is just plain 'well-lit' and it isn't "better writing" to use longer vowels and give distorted time sense.

Last edited:

Sponsor