• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Love the ice?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Second one is not actually dragging his arm, just sayin' ;) and actually bends the ski, unlike the first one
Second one you can actually see the pole bending as the basket drags.. definitely bracing.. Betting at some point the hand touched. Just sayon..

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Second one you can actually see the pole bending as the basket drags.. definitely bracing.. Betting at some point the hand touched. Just sayon..
Second turn here. Slowed too and snapshot.

Not great skiing, same dragging, right, but it doesn't look like an outrigger to me, either left or right... bend looks more just a matter of having a pole basket...

Last edited:

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
That type of "snow"! :geek:

Has anyone actually measured this reduction in torsional stiffness? Seem to remember some-one did do some basic measurement and didn't find any reduction. (@Dakine ?)

Who's the person here who measures this stuff on new skis? Maybe he can look at the data from some used skis.
My setup wasn't good enough to really answer this question.
What I have said about this is that if a layup isn't overstressed, it should have a very long fatigue life without a noticeable reduction in flexural properties.
What I have also said is that a strong skier can overstress a ski with one run through bumps.
So, it really depends on the ski design and the use it is put to.
Some core materials, notably plastic foam, are so easily damaged that they don't belong in skis.

And about pole dragging....
Watch some video of the Mahre brothers racing.
They made it OK to drag your pole.
Any port in a storm.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There was an interesting moment in yesterdays SL from Killington. Norwegian Kristin Lysdahl had just crashed mid course and an official "rushed" over the raceline from the other side, on skis, to assist. He had big troubles and it looked like was going to slip and fall. Now women's courses are not prepared as icey as men's are, but still rock hard.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
He had big troubles and it looked like was going to slip and fall.
I saw the same thing. Poor dude was barely hanging on & they cut the camera before it got worse.
Steve Porino, the US on course commentator & former racer also said that he fell during inspection. Pretty amazing that some of the racers where able to recover from big mistakes.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While skiing the Amer demo at Snowbasin yesterday I heard @Philpug ski off into some moguls and said....Nope!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
While skiing the Amer demo at Snowbasin yesterday I heard @Philpug ski off into some moguls and said....Nope!
As a ski tester extraordinaire @Philpug knows the only "true test" of any ski or oneself are icy moguls
F0223074-9473-4692-8C34-273579EEE5BB.jpeg

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wow, so many chest thumping silverbacks. :snowball:

Yeah, Australians know nothing about firm snow. After all we only get it twice a season. From season opening to about the 1/2 way point and then 1/2 way to season close. :rolleyes: Water injection? Try days of torrential rain followed by clear skies and overnight freezes.

Come on down, @Tony Storaro - you are going to love a season at Thredbo. (There will be short periods when the snow is fresh and soft. But not to worry - just wait a night or two and it will firm up.)

Know very well what skis sound like on coral or 20MPA concrete. (Suspect the silent parts are the censor in action given the "wowww" at the start.)

Your resort, @DanoT - how would you rate the firmness on Broadway a morning or two ago? The skier in the vid described it merely as firm.

Glacial ice. Really? Skis hand tuned with, what, 4,5, maybe 6 deg edges. Carried to the top by hand. That do one run before going back to the tech.

Anyway, look forward to seeing all the upcoming vids of near hip touch carving on real ice on the daily drivers. Just mic yourselves so we can hear how quiet it is. :popcorn:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Your resort, @DanoT - how would you rate the firmness on Broadway a morning or two ago? The skier in the vid described it merely as firm.
Earlier today in the PNW Conditions thread, I posted that Sun Peaks is not offering its normal easy carving ego snow but instead it is firm and fast. Whenever we call it icy, some eastern skier laughs.

I wasn't at SP last week but any freeze/thaw/freeze that occurred only impacted the lower 300-500 vertical feet, which is fairly normal when B.C.'s almost annual January thaw happens province wide.

Given SP's dry snowpack it will only take 3 or 4 cms of new snow to soften things up and 2-4cms are predicted for overnight tonight.:crossfingers:

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online