• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MA request: Taos bumps

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Time to embarrass myself with a MA request again. This is not my best effort but representative of the issues and poor technique that needs improvement. What I see is that I am not absorbing as well and staying too upright. All and any feedback is welcome.

Link to youtube

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It looked to me like your timing might have been a bit off, especially early in the video. Hard to be sure from that distance, but I think you are extending a fraction of a second too soon. (The tip off being the shoulders going up, something that happens to me too.)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, let make it a real MA thread and throw some techo babble in it.

Let start with dorsiflexion or the lack of it to be exact. :duck: :ogbiggrin:
A picket fence now and then would be nice. :ogcool:
The most egregious deficiency is the big bird move without the corresponding Maxwell squeal. :huh:

Seriously, decent skiing. Come back up and we'll do few laps together. :beercheer:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You're pretty leisurely in line selection. Maybe add a bit more "bam bam" in your approach. ;)

Last edited:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
True, but some times you have to go on the offensive.

It's not a fight. It's a dance.
Find the peace. Don' feed the beast.

BTW, all my comments in post #6 are real. Take a bit to decipher, understand and implement fixes.

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ideally, you should work with an instructor who is actually a good bump skier & can teach bumps.
Real time analysis, feedback, analysis & corrections are critical.

Based on only this VDO I have 2 suggestions -

You have pretty good overall balance, foot discipline & speed control.
A great foundation to build on & to improve.

My analysis & suggestions
1) Poles are a timing device, not a support while skiing esp bumps.
Work on sure (a little firmer than on the groomers) quick touch & release of your poles
You are leaving the poles in too long.... your hand, arm gets left back.... this causes 2 issues -
a) you end up rotating, when you must counter rotate making for less edge/skid control, balance & increased speed in the bumps than you are definitely capable of
b) you end up being slightly put off balance laterally with increased chance of being knocked around in the bumps.

2) In the bumps we need to be countered - facing down hill more, with the skis pivoting, turning under our torso). This encourages control, ready to react to the terrain.

I suggest the following drills to help you learn more appropriate motor function -
1) Practice fast light pole action, from the wrist only, hands & elbows always in front of the torso, your lat muscles slight tense to encourage upper boy discipline, hands 2 shoulder width apart for balance.
Do this fast poling drill just standing still, then on groomers in MR then SR turns. NEVER ever let your hands get back behind the front of your body.
2) On groomers hold your poles horizontally in front of you to encourage upper body discipline. Do a lot of high tempo brush parallel turns in this position - build muscle memory of hands, elbows in front, ready for fast pole action. AND torso countered, facing down the hill while your feet/skis pivot/turn under you.
3) Take this drill, hands out, poles horizontal torso countered, into the easy bumps - no pole action - your existing lower body skills will allow you to do this.
Of course use a soft mogul field as your chance for falling will increase.
Again hands, elbows out in front, visualize fast pole action + countered torso

Then after a run or two starting using your poles (or practice on a groomer first)- sure but light fast pole action - NEVER letting your elbows, hands get back further than the front of your torso.
A countered torso, facing down hill, accentuating control.

GL

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not a fight. It's a dance.
Find the peace. Don' feed the beast.

BTW, all my comments in post #6 are real. Take a bit to decipher, understand and implement fixes.
Why can't it be both? Even in dancing someone has to lead. You can follow the path of least resistance, or you can go where you want to go.

Personally when I feel like shit, taking charge and doing it my way really helps me feel better.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ideally, you should work with an instructor who is actually a good bump skier & can teach bumps.
Real time analysis, feedback, analysis & corrections are critical.
This @Pasha ...

We only skied together once, but I don't think this video is sufficiently indicative of your skiing for any MA based on it to be terribly useful.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would say listen for the sizzle. When hear that sizzle coming off your edges, you know you turn’en and burn’en good.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I would say listen for the sizzle. When hear that sizzle coming off your edges, you know you turn’en and burn’en good.

I much preferred a silent glide.

Reactions: Tex

Tin Pants

Putting on skis
Skier
It looked to me like your timing might have been a bit off, especially early in the video. Hard to be sure from that distance, but I think you are extending a fraction of a second too soon. (The tip off being the shoulders going up, something that happens to me too.)
try not to extend in bumps it is a wasted move and will throw you out of balance this what is happening to you. you are extending then making a small stem (maybe to seek balance)having a stem in bumps will inhibit your progress because it will limit your quickness and upset your balance go play on an easier slope try and develop a parallel release by making a small flex move and tip and release the skis by moving knees and ankle to the downhill side,then take that to the bumps by using the top of the bump as a release/ pivot point,

Sponsor