• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Makes my blood boil!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I thought the tradition was supposed to be that it was guys did in in celebration of their conquests. (that sentence makes me a bit icky in post #metoo era). But as single available women in ski towns were always a bit unicorn in status I'm sure the legend has been embellished somewhat.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Umm … me and most women I know. A good bra costs between $60-$80. We aren’t throwing them anywhere. However we learned, the hard way, not to leave laundry unattended in ski towns. Apparently, bras were the way young ski studs proved they got lucky!
$60-80! Seems like there ought to be an aftermarket.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There's a solution to this...
7b0167d0-9a6c-405b-b69d-a3faaed93374_text.gif

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thread drift:
--People seem to think women throw those bras out there on the bra trees. I've always thought it was boys/men who did it. Anyone have a first person story (you were there) supporting either supposition?
--I've always thought a jock strap tree would be far funnie

be careful what you wish for. A fully loaded with poop men's undies hung from an underwear tree at mt i was at- YUK.

I find it all rude. I don't ski to look at your old used undies and bras- it's just littering to me.

I heard it did start from a guy who got lucky and stole the girls panties and bra then celebrated by throwing them in a tree to embarrass her- guess she didn't want a 2nd date?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There's also the tons of Mardi Gras beads in the trees. Probably dangerous to wildlife both the strings and the beads.. which could resemble berries..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Maybe analogistic are bra trees at ski resorts. How many frequent women skiers can say they haven’t made a contribution at one point or another? The women I ski with pretty much all have. One admitted to panties.

Umm … me and most women I know. A good bra costs between $60-$80. We aren’t throwing them anywhere. However we learned, the hard way, not to leave laundry unattended in ski towns. Apparently, bras were the way young ski studs proved they got lucky!
When I read Lorenzzo's post I was thinking the same thing(s)
Bras are too expensive for me to want to throw one out, unless its old and ragged.
And yeah, I always thought it was dudes who did this to brag about conquests. '
I'll admit to owning a few bralettes that are cheaper for under tank tops in the summer, but for most days I wear a fairly high quality bra and its not cheap. Like anything else, there is a real difference.
And another thing, after my breast cancer surgery and follow up treatment, my size changed ever so slightly so I needed to get refitted.

Be careful what you ask for!

as for the aftermarket… there is always wal-mart if you don’t care about quality or comfort.
Welcome to the Rabbit Hole, Tricia.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
On my way from Reno to Tucson and I stop at this Colorado River overlook several miles below Hoover Dam. :nono:
20220617_163314.jpg

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's a viscous cycle of people who grow up poor and not owning property not having much respect for property other people own. It starts early. Little kids running around playing in other people's yards because they think that since their place is a rental unit everyone else's is so all the same everywhere. Then that turns to resentments when they hit the teen years and learn other people DO have their own property and it's off limits to them and the general public.

We're one of a few single owner homes in the neighborhood. Vast majority are multi family rental units. Seen that cycle over and over as the little kids get older and then head out on their own. Fortunately, for the most part these are young immigrant families and not tolerant of the gang garbage happening more regularly across town. The came here to escape that crap. I'm all in to pitch in and help them best I can. Not that get off my lawn curmudgeon but I will talk with the parents if I see something I'd like to know about if my kids were doing it. That's not very often at all though.. .

sure it starts early- bad parents make bad kids IMO- you're lucky, their parents listen- when I was in Fresno gangster lifestyle was rampant, the mexican gangs vs the vietnam gangs. the tagging was everywhere. One night our car got stolen out of the drive way! the thieves left a junker and took a better one -ours- it even had the steering wheel lock on it! the thieves got stopped as they were in a 'better' neighborhood looking to steal another car-

We lived out by the fig orchards and the freeway in a very nice neighborhood so I thought- but it was sad. No one ever came out of their homes- no one talked to anyone- it was the worse place I ever lived. Driving to places one had to go a certain way or risk your life at stop lights near 'stop and rob" stores= the gang initiation was kill some one at the 7-11!

I couldn't find a job and finally I had to drive over 30miles to find a job in a "safe" area- the shootings and gang rapes, robbery were crazy- everyday there were multiple gang shootings. I stopped buying the newspaper it was so horrifying. I was there for almost a year and would never go back. that was in the 1990's so maybe things have changed there? I hope-

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
sure it starts early- bad parents make bad kids IMO- you're lucky, their parents listen- when I was in Fresno gangster lifestyle was rampant, the mexican gangs vs the vietnam gangs. the tagging was everywhere. One night our car got stolen out of the drive way! the thieves left a junker and took a better one -ours- it even had the steering wheel lock on it! the thieves got stopped as they were in a 'better' neighborhood looking to steal another car-

We lived out by the fig orchards and the freeway in a very nice neighborhood so I thought- but it was sad. No one ever came out of their homes- no one talked to anyone- it was the worse place I ever lived. Driving to places one had to go a certain way or risk your life at stop lights near 'stop and rob" stores= the gang initiation was kill some one at the 7-11!

I couldn't find a job and finally I had to drive over 30miles to find a job in a "safe" area- the shootings and gang rapes, robbery were crazy- everyday there were multiple gang shootings. I stopped buying the newspaper it was so horrifying. I was there for almost a year and would never go back. that was in the 1990's so maybe things have changed there? I hope-
The apartment buildings around the corners are a lot sketchier. A 19 year old was shot dead 2 blocks away last year. Hardly a whisper about it on the news. Shootings within 10 miles are pretty much 2 to 3 a week. We had the high beam urban legend where gang initiation was supposed to be to drive around with high beams on and kill the first.person to flash back. Total bs that people still believe. Curious, how many confirmed 711 initiation murders? It helps having kids in the local public high schools. They have the scoop on what's really happening out there vs the hype. Here it's definitely the stealing handguns out of cars thing right now. They're definitely all armed thanks to people afraid of them bring armed and arming themselves irresponsibly.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I know where to report that kind of thing in Reno. Is there a place to report it there?
Probably DOT. It's been cleaned before judging by the schmear.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's scourge on the land to see these things and all their permutations laying around. This is actually a fairly orderly abandonment of an e-scooter, photo taken 6/20/22 in Alexandria, VA. Often rental scooters and rental bikes are just randomly tossed aside by users, sometimes obstructing biker and pedestrian paths.
scooter (2).jpg

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's scourge on the land to see these things and all their permutations laying around. This is actually a fairly orderly abandonment of an e-scooter, photo taken 6/20/22 in Alexandria, VA. Often rental scooters and rental bikes are just randomly tossed aside by users, sometimes obstructing biker and pedestrian paths.
View attachment 171752
They end up in the Truckee River in Reno.

Sponsor

Staff online