• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Media Coverage of WC racing - Streaming or TV

James

Out There
Instructor
@Rudi Riet , or Mr Peacock!, you might be interested in this podcast. Nothing earth shattering. Often they’re announcing hours after a race. At least Stemmle in Canada. Wished they let Weirather speak.
Ah, one interesting thing Porino said- Back during the research on ski sidecuts, one of the guys on the team told Porino that the data changed significantly at 40 meters, but not really before.
But companies balked at 40m, they could never sell any. So they settled on 35.

Don’t forget Nick Fellows!

——————————-
If you have ever watched a World Cup ski race, then you have certainly heard at least one of the four legendary voices we’re lucky enough to feature in this episode. Eurosports’ Nick Fellows, Steve Porino of NBC in the United States, Canadian Broadcasting Company’s Brian Stemmle and Tina Weirather of Switzerland’s SRF give us an inside look at how they give life to World Cup races for viewers and listeners around the world.
We get a chance to hear their perspective about their roles, the preparation that goes into each broadcast, the stories they love, and the skiers they root for; we even get a bold prediction or two. No topic is left unturned, including the evolution of FIS safety, as well as how their roles as broadcasters may evolve in the future…
——————-

goweje

Putting on skis
Skier
I wonder if we hurt their feelings because they didn’t even show up for one of the women’s races last weekend & then didn’t show up till a bunch of racers had already gone in the 2nd run a couple days ago. No introduction, just started yattering in the middle of the race.
This was Kronplatz Tue AM. They started talking after four or five racers. This is normally when their intro/first run recap ends and they jump in live except this time there was no intro.

It's been laughable amateurish at times this season. So, I have to agree with 4ster, at least there's a way to watch. I would guess the broadcasters are pretty frustrated too. Clearly NBC has decided the fewer resources dedicated to World Cup the better.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple year’s ago when it was still NBC SportsGold Snowpass I bought one of those $50 Apple adapters so I could just plug my phone into my big screen, pretty simple & it worked great. Now Peacock doesn’t even support that! It works for the advertising at the beginning but as soon as the race comes on blank screen :doh: , so I end up watching on my phone or IPad which is less than ideal.
I have internet problems which have caused me to have to use 4G hotspot for my home for the past few months. Luckily the 4G speed has been good enough to be able to watch stuff on my tv apps or computer + hdmi cable to tv with good resolution. But my hotspot data is capped to X Gb per month and I can go over the limit, after which hotspot speeds are throttled to the point of being unwatchable. Cellular data speed is not throttled, just hotspot. So I also tried to get an adapter to connect phone/tablet to my TV and found that Peacock app will not work that way. It doesn’t make sense to me, but maybe they have some agreement with cell providers. If I try to watch Peacock on Chrome on phone/tablet through the adapter it (Peacock) says not supported on mobile. It’s very frustrating. As a result I have also been watching a lot of races on my iPad until my quota starts over in the next billing cycle .

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ah, one interesting thing Porino said- Back during the research on ski sidecuts, one of the guys on the team told Porino that the data changed significantly at 40 meters, but not really before.
This is true. At one time I had a copy of the FIS report on ski testing as well as the data on injuries sustained in races/training by WC athletes in races.

While ski dimensions do play a role in the rate of knee injuries, one has to wonder why binding technology hasn't changed since the introduction of the Look Pivot and the Salomon 727 40+ years ago.

On the subject of athlete safety it was alarming to hear Tina W. state that the leading WC skiers will sustain a significant injury on average once every three years.....

On the same train of thought Martin interviewed Ivica Kostelic and Jan Hudec last year. Part of the conversation covered athlete safety and it was pretty alarming. In their opinion athletes are a disposable commodity, sacrificed for "the show" with little power to advocate for safety reforms.

Does anyone here have Peacock TV to stream World Cup races? If so is there many races broadcasted on Peacock exclusively? I have the Olympic channel and NBCSN already but looking to fill in the missing races. Also are they actually live on Peacock? It looks like I can get it for $5 per month or $50 for a whole year.
I have peacock. They show every race. Either nbc or British feed, which I think does as good a job.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
If you want to see how skiing should be broadcast online look no further than the World Surf League, which kicked off the 2022 season today on the north shore of Hawaii. Conditions were superb today and look good for week ahead. Maybe Sophie Goldschmidt, who came over from the WSL to run US Ski and Snowboard can give this thing a push. And if nothing else, check out the highlight video.

knobby

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I heard this too and thought it was off. Is he saying they settled on 35m because the general public would buy a radius almost as un-skiable? The only people buying these skis are FIS skiers and they're buying whatever is required. I thought the real reason was that the athletes pushed back because no one could ski a 40m ski.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
So just as the Olympics begin NBCSN mysteriously disappears from my DISH line-up.
Anyone else? :huh:

James

Out There
Instructor
They’ve transferred to USA Network. Because you know, having the word “sports” in a network covering…sports, is somehow a bad idea.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
They’ve transferred to USA Network. Because you know, having the word “sports” in a network covering…sports, is somehow a bad idea.
and, largely, Peacock. And to some extent, Olympic Channel.

And, they lost rights to a lot of interesting things too.

James

Out There
Instructor
So is this Peacock?
Lol, yes I think. Took me awhile to find out. I would recommend getting the nbc app too, but I think Peacock will show the whole thing.
Nbc doesn’t make it easy, but you can find out here-

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Lol, yes I think. Took me awhile to find out. I would recommend getting the nbc app too, but I think Peacock will show the whole thing.
everything NBC has for the olympics will be on peacock.

Edit: all sports (every event, every moment available) will be on peacock. Peacock probably won't have all the studio banter and human interest stories. Many of the sports on Peacock will be without commentary or with world feed commentary instead of the NBC people. Which, for most sports, will be a huge positive.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
you can watch everything on peacock

what's on actual tv will depend on stories.

Second runs will probably be on NBC during late night coverage.

Okay thanks. l was hoping I could just DVR some of the Alpine events like I did with the DH training run last night broadcast on USA network last night. Peacock is a major PITA for me but I guess that is a first world problem ;).

I do have the NBCsports app but haven’t used it in a few years. I will check it out and hope it works better than Peacock.

I do see some of the major races 2nd runs will be on NBC but we all know that will mostly be human interest & very little racing.
Peacock it is!

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Okay thanks. l was hoping I could just DVR some of the Alpine events like I did with the DH training run last night broadcast on USA network last night. Peacock is a major PITA for me but I guess that is a first world problem ;).

I do see some of the major races 2nd runS will be on NBC but we all know that will mostly be human interest & very little racing.
Peacock it is!
I think you'll be lucky to get 15 racers on NBC TV.

James

Out There
Instructor
Peacock will be without commentary or with world feed commentary instead of the NBC people.
Got to have my Tara and Johnny though!

I do have the NBCsports app but haven’t used it in a few years. I will check it out and hope it works better than Peacock.

I do see some of the major races 2nd runs will be on NBC but we all know that will mostly be human interest & very little racing.
Peacock it is!
It seems like the Nbc app will have the events there for the watching for awhile. There is lot of ads but prob not worse than tv. There was commentary.
I assume Peacock will have it saved.

Sponsor

Staff online