• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men’s World Cup 2021

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Looks like the weather was good.

Impressive with that choice. Was it a WAG, dart throw, or did you know something about him?
Thanks
I think I remembered him coming from way out of the top 30 last year and having a blazing second run & some other good results. I think he was more surprised than I was. I figured with the early start he had great chance & he is a freaking bull!!
Odermatt is another young gun who was on fire last season till I think he was injured. Another young gun is Sam Maes from Belgium. Also good to see River Radamus get in the point. Since there is no wager on our choices I like to stay away from always choosing the obvious. The obvious ones did not podium today. It will be interesting to see how HK & Pintu react in the next races.

I think the nice weather and conditions made for a fair race today. Looked like there was a couple of chunky turns that could make or break.

Last edited:
TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Race prepped slopes like that are no joke... I seem to recall someone dieing in New England from sliding like that into something solid.
My first season at Snowbasin was the year before the 2002 Olympics & I ended up working for NBC the week of the pre-Olympic World Cup DH (I think CBS still had the Olympics but NBC covered the WC). It snowed most of the week so most of the time I ended up getting paid to ski powder all day, I think they ended up getting one training run in but the actual race was canceled.
Anyway, we would meet every morning in the NBC trailer for breakfast and I’ll never forget the one morning they put together a highlight reel of the course workers losing grip on the pitch then sliding uncontrollably into the B-net. It was quite entertaining but scary as one after another would take the slide for life :geek:!
The camera guys said they mostly covered NFL and other major US sports but they loved filming ski races.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Heh, we had an examiner who worked out at Vail for awhile. He worked slipping the Birds of Prey course one year. Said it was the scariest thing he’s done on skis.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My first season at Snowbasin was the year before the 2002 Olympics & I ended up working for NBC the week of the pre-Olympic World Cup DH (I think CBS still had the Olympics but NBC covered the WC). It snowed most of the week so most of the time I ended up getting paid to ski powder all day, I think they ended up getting one training run in but the actual race was canceled.
Anyway, we would meet every morning in the NBC trailer for breakfast and I’ll never forget the one morning they put together a highlight reel of the course workers losing grip on the pitch then sliding uncontrollably into the B-net. It was quite entertaining but scary as one after another would take the slide for life :geek:!
The camera guys said they mostly covered NFL and other major US sports but they loved filming ski races.
While working as a course crew leader on Grizzly course at Snowbasin during 2002 Olympics, I took a slide for life in Off Track Canyon. I was inspecting a reported problem area on the course. I took off my skis and did not put my crampons on to hike up to the location. A water injection hose had leaked the night before and the first step I took on the ice I went down. I slid down to the red room (B netting). No injuries except pride and I had to buy a lot of beer for my crew.

While working the 2015 Worlds on Birds of Prey course with the Talon Crew, my close friend was blown over by a strong gust of wind on the Men's Super G start below the Talon turn. He had crampons on and managed to slide a long way into the red room without getting hurt. Sliding with crampons is very dangerous and scary if they dig in at high speed.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
While working as a course crew leader on Grizzly course at Snowbasin during 2002 Olympics, I took a slide for life in Off Track Canyon. I was inspecting a reported problem area on the course. I took off my skis and did not put my crampons on to hike up to the location. A water injection hose had leaked the night before and the first step I took on the ice I went down. I slid down to the red room (B netting). No injuries except pride and I had to buy a lot of beer for my crew.
Off Track Canyon was probably the sketchiest section of that course even for the racers. Still makes me nervous on the rare occasion it gets groomed. In fact Bode almost bit it there during the combined DH.
13346A43-FEA0-4C70-A63C-AE93061AABE0.jpeg

Groomer61

Booting up
Skier
Heh, we had an examiner who worked out at Vail for awhile. He worked slipping the Birds of Prey course one year. Said it was the scariest thing he’s done on skis.
Was at Whiteface working the start of the National JO's Downhill on the Olympic course in 89. The weekend before the race it got really warm and rained, then it went sub zero for days. It took 2 days to groom because of the steepness and it was so bulletproof. Raceday it was -10 at the start, after 3+hrs in the starthouse I was frozen. Now I had to bring down the scoresheets to the jury. I have never ever skied anything that icy and steep carrying an extra pair of DH boards and stray clothing left behind

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks so much, 4ster. I was able to watch both runs, and replays too, thanks to you. Many things about the day and the skiers were surprising and neat. I especially liked watching the two top second runs, of the winner and second place finisher, so close, Lucas Braathen and Marco Odermatt. And the way Pinturault took himself out of contention on what seemed like just a few gates in the steep middle section of that second run.

Marco Odermatt is a good skier.

James

Out There
Instructor
Swiss Justin Murisier in the leaders chair on Sunday. Masked up and being safe !!
He’s a Verbier local.
I think he’ll have to lose the mask while on the leaders seat for sponsors. And us.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online