• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men’s World Cup 2021

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I love Dave Dodge, and his partner Bill Doble.....as well as marketing spokesman {and close friend of mine} WCN. They were VERY good to my son, who was one of two guys to race in the NCAA for a couple years on them. This is when the boots were relatively new, about 10 years ago. He spent a lot of time with them. And with PJD who was working with them a bit.

But No...just no. Not the solution for those types of forces, etc. The Dodge boot is really great for some great skiers, and others have had challenges with it. I beleive that much {or ALL} of what they had for challenges with early on has been fixed. Better, stronger hinges, for example.

But not a WC speed boot. Nope. Probably has too much of an "on-off" switch among other things. My son raced speed on a typical softened plug boot at the time. SL and GS in a Dodge.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Does Beat Feuz get two cable cars named after him? Or is it one and only one per winner?

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
doing @4ster's job for him here and posting the results :ogbiggrin:
Thanks! Nice pick with Clarey.

Here’s tomorrow’s SG...
935DDF12-A55F-4D36-BBE3-8B3725322EAC.jpeg

Mayer
Odermatt
Kriechmayer

James

Out There
Instructor
I kept picking Mayer to win. Good for Feuz, winning Kitz twice in 3 days!
What’s up with Clarey? Was he hurt for awhile and had trouble coming back? He’s only 0.17 off the top at Kitzbuhel, not bad for someone pushing 40.
I think he has the speed record at Wengen of 100mph several years ago.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Clarey turned 40 at the beginning of the month....oldest to ever make a WC podium.

Clarey also fell heavily in one of the last training runs. Last jump - 140 kph - ouch!

Did just fine in #1 and brilliantly in #2.

Vid is cued for his whole practice run. 18:45 to jump to the bad bit.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I kept picking Mayer to win. Good for Feuz, winning Kitz twice in 3 days!
What’s up with Clarey? Was he hurt for awhile and had trouble coming back? He’s only 0.17 off the top at Kitzbuhel, not bad for someone pushing 40.
I think he has the speed record at Wengen of 100mph several years ago.

It's pretty incredible with Clarey, but he said going in to the season that he had never felt better. Don't know what and if he'd done something different? Also the experience of having done a course 5-6-7 times before and experienced it in different "lights" compared to a couple of times is a big advantage. But there's some kind of lid that has come off too, for sure.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I would say that actually biggest thing, even though they went by totally unnoticed were two 4th places of Innerhofer (DH and SG). He tested positive for corona and didn't do anything for last 2 weeks or so. On Thursday morning, just before last training he made third test and got negative results (after being positive you need 3 negative tests to be allowed to race), so he could go for last training run. Both, Thursday training and Friday's race were sort of painfull to watch, as he was really with no power and hardly made it down. But then one day break and 4th yesterday (with quite big gap to third) and another 4th today, with only 0.04sec to third place. Ok I'm sure slightly biased, but for me this is really one hell of a result.

James

Out There
Instructor
The super g featured a lot of acrobatics visible in the slow motion replays. Tons of one legged landings with arms a flailing, and recovery turns supported by the inside hand.
Would be interesting to compare Odermatt and Kriechmayers lines. Seemed like K pulled it out right at the end with a better jump. Mayer made a huge error in one of the big sweeping turns. I expected him to be 1.5 seconds back at the finish and he ended up 0.55 back in 3rd. Impressive bottom half of the run.
How about James Crawford, CAN? Going 28th and finishing 1.11 back in 6th!
Jeffrey Read, CAN, 17th from 43. Pretty good for the Canadian speed team coming back.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Painful to see Davide Cazzaniga, ITA, getting back and trying to pull the turn out on the inside tail. Then stopping and screaming. Heli evac. I’m thinking acl.

James

Out There
Instructor
F2E90055-87ED-4AF3-8DD9-647C4DDA6378.jpeg

Here’s where Cazzaniga stopped, injured. Good thing it wasn’t on the pitch after.
Look at that gap, realistically, that’s a two meter window to make at 60mph.

During the stop, someone was changing afd’s at the start-
1FE1AE59-F879-4273-8A6C-64DEAB8BE0FB.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Jared Goldberg, bib 46, got massive air on the first jump. It was crazy, I figured nets on landing.
0F0F6A73-606E-4858-8A01-C9B0C01FA4B2.jpeg

B8074FD0-7D9A-4071-80EE-736499861C3F.jpeg

Meanwhile, how about Matthieu Bailet FRA, bib 50, finishing 8th!

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The difference between Odermatt and Kriechmayr was, to my eye, the difference between a tech racer and a downhiller. The Zielschuss is all about harnessing and retaining speed, letting it all go. Before that it's a more technical course (especially with the set by the Swiss coach). Odermatt excelled on the technical portion, but you could tell it was possible for it to fall apart when Kriechmayr had the top speed in the Lärchenschuss - his skis were running and his gliding ability was second to none today.

The Canadians were really on the money today, as well. They skied an aggressive line and went for it - good on 'em!

And don't overlook Mattieu Bailet's run: started 50th, had a top 5 run going until a big mistake entering the Traverse section. Finished 8th.

The USST was just outgunned. I feel sorry for Goldberg having to wait out the helicopter evac of Cazzaniga - not a pleasant situation, but he did well coming out of it. Ganong looked rough. Bennett looked out of sorts. There was a comment on Ski Racing's article on the race that will certainly touch a nerve with The Powers That Be in Park City:

"Those alpine nations know how to identify tough as nails, blue collar work ethic athletes on their teams who can generate results. This while the US Ski Team is focused on developing kids who can underwrite team travel expenses…if only the US Team and it’s Board could see(or chose to see) the athletes that have walked away from the sport, who are capable of matching the alpine nation’s athletes. Rinse and repeat!"

I can't say I completely disagree with this summation, but alpine ski racing in the United States is a complicated mess.

Sponsor

Staff online