• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men’s World Cup 2021

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Per the USST Twitter feed:

"Unfortunately, Ryan Cochran-Siegle crashed in Friday's downhill, sustaining a minor cervical fracture. He is otherwise OK, thankfully. He is currently resting at the team hotel, but will sit the remainder of the weekend out. His return to competition is TBD."

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And Paris ... he said count me out. We’re not that easily fooled.
Also worth mentioning, Clarey who crashed yesterday in training... back up in the saddle.

Last edited:

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
And Paris ... he said count me out. We’re not that easily fooled.
Also worth mentioning, Clarey who crashed yesterday in training... back up in the saddle.
40-yr old probably doesn't have many more opportunities to race the Streif. Awesome to see him having what is possible to be his best career season. Currently 5th in the DH standings.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
An addendum to the USST's earlier tweet:

"To further clarify: Minor cervical *spine* fracture (aka neck) for Ryan Cochran-Siegle."

That's a bit more dramatic and certainly makes the "TBD" status for return to competition more understandable.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Also: per Porino it appears that Kyrenbühel has torn ACL and MCL, broken collarbone, and a concussion.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Also: per Porino it appears that Kyrenbühel has torn ACL and MCL, broken collarbone, and a concussion.

That's a LOT of damage. Ouch. Wish him well on his recovery.

Too many injuries this year....

It sure seems that way. We'll hear "yeah, it's Kitz." And similar things. I have not done the math, but it seems like we are losing a LOT of the field, both make and female. It might be a race to stay reasonably healthy. Since the two women leaders are skiing in every race, every discipline, that's going to be a challenge. Those who have done it before talk about how exhausting it is. Physically, mentally, the works.

RCS....we'll wait on more details. I had heard initially that it was a collarbone, or a pretty bad shoulder separation. Assume that was not accurate. Not a doc but that does not sound like "cervical fracture." Hope his season is not over.

On a positive note....good to see three USST guys in the points today. Nothing stellar, though a top 20 there for Goldie is a nice move, IMO. Travis showing some real guts, too. Nice.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Swede I know. Few years back, during crash festival when several top guys ended season on Hausbergkante, and they also quit race after bib 30, friend of mine was bitching for a year, that they took chance for podium from him. He had few good placements in Kitz till then, but based on training runs, and every single run he had in last season and that season till Kitz, my answer was, that they actually saved his life, not took chance for podium away. But it's true, that Kitz that year was brutal, this year's track was probably easiest in last 10 years or so, but last jump was super long.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Based on what I heard, he has some minor neck fracture, but is out of hospital already and should be fine, but he's done for weekend. For Kryenbuhl, it's concussion, broken right collarbone, and ACL and MLC in right knee. He's staying in hospital overnight and should go back to Switzerland tomorrow. So not really nothing, but considering crash, result is pretty good.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hopefully weather co operates and a new race tomorrow where Odermatt (the upset guy) and the rest get their shot.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
We will see about weather. Forecast is some 15cm snow... if it will be cold enough for snow, otherwise rain as forecast for finish is around +1 to +2 (for today evening even up to +4c). Either way it's not going to be super nice. Not weather and not track either.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wow that last jump was big. Even Feuz was rolling down the windows. Just saw the Krynbuhel crash. He got the skis back up, but was just too forward and diving. Can’t imagine at 147kph/91mph
Maxence Muzaton, bib 19, almost backseat crashed on landing but pulled it out.

RCS was lucky he got his body on the snow to slow down before the fence.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
1FA4236F-EDB8-498B-BF5D-30B4E816F3D3.jpeg

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Hope it goes tomorrow...
91F5569F-0AE9-4559-BD73-3AB099D04EE5.jpeg

Mayer
Feuz
Paris

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
On another note, can someone explain why everyone was burying themselves in th snow during the delays?

Kitz_boots_buried.jpg

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
On another note, can someone explain why everyone was burying themselves in th snow during the delays?

View attachment 121789
I'm not an expert, but I would guess this is to keep the boots cold and stiff. Some boots can get much softer and flexier when warm, and presumably this is not something one would want on the Streif.

Sponsor

Staff online