• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Well it is kids sport. Pro sport are top level pro athletes, normally out of schools and out of their teen years. College football is played by well... kids in school, ok students, but point remains same. That's one thing for "kids sport" another thing is level of sport. No student sport is on pair with top level pro sport, and I'm pretty sure this is not exception either. But as I wrote, I'm perfectly fine with this that some people have different priorities and preferences. I don't mind if you pick colleague football match over skiing race. It's fine. Afterall, even after all this time I spend in skiing, with all these friends I still have in skiing, if I have chance to go skiing (or running or whatever sport) myself, I will always pick that over watching skiing. Even if it's Olympics race, or Kitz or my "home" race.

@Swede too much fresh snow. Weather report yesterday was showing snow in forecast,
“Gentlemen, you are now going out to play football against Harvard. Never again in your whole life will you do anything so important.”
-Yale Coach T.A.D. Jones

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
F37FECD2-1925-4CE2-8E63-9A87DB8027B4.jpeg

Well Feuz was top 3 anyway. Shouldn’t have given up on Kriechmayer, but bib 1…

Going to go with an all Austrian podium for the super-g

Kriechmayr
Mayer
Franz

Odermatt
Baumann

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
“Gentlemen, you are now going out to play football against Harvard. Never again in your whole life will you do anything so important.”
-Yale Coach T.A.D. Jones
Haha I heard something similar before my first national championships race from my coach... except we weren't addresses as gentlemen at that time, and I was something like 7 or 8 years old. It was very true at that time, but didn't remain this way for rest of my life ;) I really doubt it would be much different for any of those "gentlemen" this guy was talking to.... If this would be true, and if we stay with football, Superbowl is obviously much less important that Harvard Yale match. Might be, but somehow I don't really buy that ;)

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Haha I heard something similar before my first national championships race from my coach... except we weren't addresses as gentlemen at that time, and I was something like 7 or 8 years old. It was very true at that time, but didn't remain this way for rest of my life ;) I really doubt it would be much different for any of those "gentlemen" this guy was talking to.... If this would be true, and if we stay with football, Superbowl is obviously much less important that Harvard Yale match. Might be, but somehow I don't really buy that ;)
Can’t resist: The Harvard-Yale “importance” is the enduring tradition of the game. It’s been played annually since the late 1800s and though it may be a kids game just walk around mid town Manhattan the week leading up to the game and see the number of grown men wearing a Harvard ( and sometimes Yale) sweatshirt under their coat for a couple of days leading up to The Game. It has little to do with athletic excellence . And yes, it is more “important” than the Superbowl.
The alpine skiing equivalent is perhaps Kitzbuel / Hanhnenhamm. The tradition of the race is arguably its most important feature. Yes, the world’s best skiers compete and its amazing to watch them throw themselves down that knarly hill but, if it weren’t for the gondolas with winners names on them, how many folks would remember who won years later.
Most Americans could unfortunately care less about sports where hundies count and unappreciated technical athletic skill makes a difference. College football rivalry and smash mouth sports they get. Skiiing? Not so much. Even with the OWG , most have no clue re SG vs DH , or GS v. SL… all that matters is the medal count.
Alas, skiing will forever be a v minor sport in the U. S. , regardless of how many events televised or not, there are here or whether its a “ kids” sliding sport with real athletes or not.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
There's some more stuff going one then just cancelled SG in LL. Red bubble (racers, coaches, servicemen, FIS officials) had PCR tests yesterday, as they needed them to go forward to USA and about 10 of them were positive plus few more "not valid" (whatever that would mean, as I though it's either positive or negative no "well something that's not positive neither negative"). As they need to leave LL today, to make space for ladies, the whole group is moving to Calgary, making new set of tests to see if anyone else out of those yesterday's negative is positive, and only then they will see if they will be allowed to enter US or not. So it's actually possible at the moment, there won't be any BC races at all.

Peefeeniz

Booting up
Skier
Pass Pulled
Can’t resist: The Harvard-Yale “importance” is the enduring tradition of the game. It’s been played annually since the late 1800s and though it may be a kids game just walk around mid town Manhattan the week leading up to the game and see the number of grown men wearing a Harvard ( and sometimes Yale) sweatshirt under their coat for a couple of days leading up to The Game. It has little to do with athletic excellence . And yes, it is more “important” than the Superbowl.
The alpine skiing equivalent is perhaps Kitzbuel / Hanhnenhamm. The tradition of the race is arguably its most important feature. Yes, the world’s best skiers compete and its amazing to watch them throw themselves down that knarly hill but, if it weren’t for the gondolas with winners names on them, how many folks would remember who won years later.
Most Americans could unfortunately care less about sports where hundies count and unappreciated technical athletic skill makes a difference. College football rivalry and smash mouth sports they get. Skiiing? Not so much. Even with the OWG , most have no clue re SG vs DH , or GS v. SL… all that matters is the medal count.
Alas, skiing will forever be a v minor sport in the U. S. , regardless of how many events televised or not, there are here or whether its a “ kids” sliding sport with real athletes or not.

i doubt any of the proletariat care about Harvard ~ Yale

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There's some more stuff going one then just cancelled SG in LL. Red bubble (racers, coaches, servicemen, FIS officials) had PCR tests yesterday, as they needed them to go forward to USA and about 10 of them were positive plus few more "not valid" (whatever that would mean, as I though it's either positive or negative no "well something that's not positive neither negative"). As they need to leave LL today, to make space for ladies, the whole group is moving to Calgary, making new set of tests to see if anyone else out of those yesterday's negative is positive, and only then they will see if they will be allowed to enter US or not. So it's actually possible at the moment, there won't be any BC races at all.
Luckily 9 of the tests have since been determined to be false positives and BC races are on

https://apnews.com/article/coronavi...nada-alberta-368d8df5f22fa6a9a2fdf1e030b3c525

Relevant info is at the end of the article

edit: the linked article was published only a couple of hours ago, long after Primoz’s post

Last edited:

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
i doubt any of the proletariat care about Harvard ~ Yale
Interesting word choice. Regardless, was responding specifically to Primoz comment.
Sadly, doubt that “ proletariat “ in the U.S. cares much about ski racing either:). Hence the , predictably unpredictable lousy media attention here that drives those of us who track WC ( EC, NorAm etc ) crazy.
BTW: Harvard has a D-1 ski team …admittedly not Dartmouth or Middlebury caliber, let alone DU or UVM…but D-1 nonetheless.

James

Out There
Instructor
There’s a member here that used to be the Harvard alpine ski coach. And MIT.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Interesting word choice. Regardless, was responding specifically to Primoz comment.
Sadly, doubt that “ proletariat “ in the U.S. cares much about ski racing either:). Hence the , predictably unpredictable lousy media attention here that drives those of us who track WC ( EC, NorAm etc ) crazy.
BTW: Harvard has a D-1 ski team …admittedly not Dartmouth or Middlebury caliber, let alone DU or UVM…but D-1 nonetheless.

And their most recent NCAA champ, women’s GS, 2012, hosted by Montana State. Rebecca Nadler….skied in HS with our daughter. Great person, great skier.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
And their most recent NCAA champ, women’s GS, 2012, hosted by Montana State. Rebecca Nadler….skied in HS with our daughter. Great person, great skier.
Harvard alpine has really improved in the last 5ish years; used to be a joke. I've watched them (and Midd and Williams) training the last week or so ... there are some solid skiers wearing Crimson (mostly women, from what I can tell).

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Harvard alpine has really improved in the last 5ish years; used to be a joke. I've watched them (and Midd and Williams) training the last week or so ... there are some solid skiers wearing Crimson (mostly women, from what I can tell).
BTW , was I the only one who cringed when during the Killington WC coverage NBC s anchor extraordinaire commented re women from : “the U of V” …when referring to UVM?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
…when referring to UVM?
University of Vermont is "UVM"? Since Vermont is "VT", I figured it would be UVT, or VT, or U of V.

Is the "M" just from the second syllable of Vermont, or is there something more to it?

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
BTW , was I the only one who cringed when during the Killington WC coverage NBC s anchor extraordinaire commented re women from : “the U of V” …when referring to UVM?
At one of the early Killington races, the local announcer did it with Doug Lewis. So they pretty much just say stuff to keep things going. During Wendy Holdener’s run, he’s going on and calls her “The Swiss Miss”. As in the cocoa.

7682EEA5-D499-4DA1-9D64-E76793923E31.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
University of Vermont is "UVM"? Since Vermont is "VT", I figured it would be UVT, or VT, or U of V.

Is the "M" just from the second syllable or Vermont, or is there something more to it?
Good question.
Because it’s the “University of the Green Mountains”, in Latin, not the “University of Vermont”.
C1A4CAB9-5A4B-49AE-A605-D0DE7893E91E.jpeg

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Part of ski racing’s draw to me is that it isn’t important to everyone. It’s important to me, other people who raced growing up, and folks on SkiTalk, and that’s enough. I went to Kitz and Schladming for my last milestone birthday, no one in the USA cares a lick - but it was the best trip I’ve ever done.
And it’s fun to be surrounded by folks who have a background in our niche sport. Because it is small, it allows great access. Getting breakfast at the same buffet as Aksel, Kilde, and Jansrud (while staying in room next to Svindal) the morning of the biggest event in their sport would never happen at the Super Bowl.
Planning to take each of my girls to Kitz and Schladming before they go to college. Wouldn’t bother me if only 200 people showed up for those races when I go again.
A5CEE786-0B35-4265-A507-74294C87E4CE.jpeg

Last edited:

Gnorris2

Booting up
Skier

Is the "M" just from the second syllable or Vermont, or is there something more to it?
with the internet all things are known ... from the UVM website:

Facts and History​

“UVM” stands for the Latin words Universitas Viridis Montis -- University of the Green Mountains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online