• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
McGrath was crying buckets of tears of joy. Bet Felix was pretty stoked. I wonder if at some point Atle could race for the US, especially given the depth of Norwegian tech talent (he said, hopefully). I read an interesting article about Felix when he took over as director at Burke Mtn Academy about the Norwegian/Euro systems vs US.

For Feller, it wasn't the whole run, I think, but he figured out something on the wall in his second run. Every other skier lost 0.4-1.0 seconds to him in about 200 meters -- only Strasser, I think, dropped less time. I meant to go back and look at his run but haven't had time.
When was the last time the US men got a SL podium? Might be worth throwing some cash at him!

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
When was the last time the US men got a SL podium? Might be worth throwing some cash at him!
2011, Nolan Kasper, Kranjska Gora (2nd)
2008, Bode Miller, Levi (2nd)
2008, Ted Ligety, Wengen (3rd)

Last win: 2004, Bode Miller, Sestriere (this was the victory that gave him wins in all 4 disciplines between 11/28 and 12/13/04).

Last edited:

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
2011, Nolan Kasper, Kranjska Gora (2nd)
2008, Bode Miller, Levi (2nd)
2008, Ted Ligety, Wengen (3rd)

Last win: 2004, Bode Miller, Sestriere (this was the victory that gave him wins in all 4 disciplines between 11/28 and 12/13/04).

Thanks for the link that's a cool search tool! Crazy that Norway had as many different skiers on the podium in the last week as the US since Mcgrath's dad in 88.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Finally got around to watching Schladming! Caught the @Rudi Riet callout :thumb:
Seems like SL is going back to its historical finish percentages.
Great day for Atle McGrath to put it together for sure!

I was going to say: for fucks sake,
Sorry @Swede :duck:but I was going to say: “who didn’t see that one coming” ogwink . But man that guy is as fast as anyone when he is on!

At this rate, maybe Odermatt ought to enter a slalom race.
l thought the same thing :ogcool::hail:

James

Out There
Instructor
and was 4th

I was course crew for that race. Had no idea who he was. That was still two years before his insane world juniors in Davos.
Hah, pretty cool. Small world. Looking at the fis page, after those races Odermatt went to Switzerland the next week, then on to Sochi the week after, then Switzerland. Not your average Ncaa racer!

I should’ve gone, I think I worked instead. Knew a bunch of people in that race. My sister would’ve been there watching.

I see Robert Cone got third in the gs. I didn’t know him but some years before that as a young junior he stayed with us for a Sunday River multi day event. I remember he and my nephew after getting back from the mt would go out “skiing, jamming their snow boots in the binding of the beater skis. They’d then tromp around and ski down a dirt bank. Did it for hours. I remember seeing all the scratches in the bases.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Finally got around to watching Schladming! Caught the @Rudi Riet callout :thumb:
Seems like SL is going back to its historical finish percentages.
Great day for Atle McGrath to put it together for sure!

Sorry @Swede :duck:but I was going to say: “who didn’t see that one coming” ogwink . But man that guy is as fast as anyone when he is on!

l thought the same thing :ogcool::hail:
:roflmao:If you look at the timing of that post, it was actually before Krille straddled, so one might think that I am a fortune teller. I'm not. TBH I was reffering to numerous posts about everything else but the ongoing race, cluttering up the discussion.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What was that about? Sound fun.

The English language commentator for Schladming was Carlton Kirby. He's on top of his Twitter account and is known for saying hello to his followers (and for engaging in conversation with them on Twitter - seriously nice bloke). During the first run he did his "let me know where you're watching" ask and I replied, so at the beginning of the second run broadcast he read out a couple of tweets - including mine!

He eventually got the pronunciation of my last name, as well. ;)

And as I missed the beginning of run two in realtime, I received a fair number of texts from friends with the "OMG - did you hear that?" response. It brightened an otherwise hectic Tuesday afternoon.

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
The English language commentator for Schladming was Carlton Kirby. He's on top of his Twitter account and is known for saying hello to his followers (and for engaging in conversation with them on Twitter - seriously nice bloke). During the first run he did his "let me know where you're watching" ask and I replied, so at the beginning of the second run broadcast he read out a couple of tweets - including mine!
He eventually got the pronunciation of my last name, as well. ;)
And as I missed the beginning of run two in realtime, I received a fair number of texts from friends with the "OMG - did you hear that?" response. It brightened an otherwise hectic Tuesday afternoon.
Awesome, the "Schladming callout" on Peacock is the highlight of this SkiTalk thread for the 2021-22 season. A webcast-type interview seems a reasonable goal for next season.
We will have to establish some goals and metrics for our FIS-WC threads in the fall.

:beercheer:

Last edited:

Radieschen

Booting up
Skier
Downhill... Feuz did it again, as so many times by now, but what is more for me then another win of Feuz is how Odermatt does it this year. It's pretty much his first real DH season, as until now, he was starting DH here and there, but not all of them, and he's skiing like he would be starting DH for 10 years. It's just amazing to see his line selection. Sure he gets lot of help, also from Feuz, but still... with so little experience skiing like long time pro is simply amazing for me.
PS: Just one thing.... Noone refers to Feuz as Fuzz or The Fuzz, so it's not his nickname or anything ;)
Hi all, just found your forum, I'm from Switzerland so maybe I can give some insights about our racers. Feuz's real nickname is "Kugelblitz" in German, which would translate to "ball lightning" best. In English I prefer Fuzz or The Fuzz, love how you guys nicknamed him here. ;)

As for Marco Odermatt, he does indeed select his own line and doesn't need that much "help" at all. As Carlo Janka put it: "This man doesn't need much help. He is just skiing the way he feels it." Or Beat Feuz: "He rushes down the Streif without thinking too much, I'm a little more concerned about that," Feuz describes the relationship with the dominator of the season. Odermatt also emphasizes the mutual benefit: "It's nice that he's not the only one who can give me tips and that we both benefit from each other."

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi all, just found your forum, I'm from Switzerland so maybe I can give some insights about our racers. Feuz's real nickname is "Kugelblitz" in German, which would translate to "ball lightning" best. In English I prefer Fuzz or The Fuzz, love how you guys nicknamed him here. ;)

As for Marco Odermatt, he does indeed select his own line and doesn't need that much "help" at all. As Carlo Janka put it: "This man doesn't need much help. He is just skiing the way he feels it." Or Beat Feuz: "He rushes down the Streif without thinking too much, I'm a little more concerned about that," Feuz describes the relationship with the dominator of the season. Odermatt also emphasizes the mutual benefit: "It's nice that he's not the only one who can give me tips and that we both benefit from each other."

Great with some more Eurocentric presence ;) Welcome. Then you guys have Tall Guy too! Been looking like he's on a rebound since that injury in Sweden.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Let us know if you have intel on the Swiss women too: I’m semi-obsessed with Wendy Holdener (you may see her referred to as Sendy around here) and what goes on in her head with her crazy record of podiums in one event without a win.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi all, just found your forum, I'm from Switzerland so maybe I can give some insights about our racers. Feuz's real nickname is "Kugelblitz" in German, which would translate to "ball lightning" best.
The first time I saw a TV broadcast here in the US with Beat Feuz, which is a lot of years ago now, and the announcer said his nickname was the Kugelblitz, I thought it was such a great nickname because he looks kind of like a Kugel as he is going down the course.

Radieschen

Booting up
Skier
Welcome to the forum! Let us know if you have intel on the Swiss women too: I’m semi-obsessed with Wendy Holdener (you may see her referred to as Sendy around here) and what goes on in her head with her crazy record of podiums in one event without a win.
Thanks! Sure, I will post in the women's thread too. As for Wendy Holdener and being 2nd or 3rd on the podium in Slalom for years without a win, there was always someone called Mikaela Shiffrin or Petra Vlhova, so we can't blame her really for not getting a win before these two Champs. And I think Wendy is well aware of this fact. I mean, we all know Mikaela Shiffrin is going to be one of the biggest skiers ever, no question about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online