• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
And with normal WC services resuming....

Garmisch-Partenkirchen - will a golden Noel maintain form or disappoint at least one more time?

And when was the last time SL was held there?

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
8FBC74B8-54EB-44FE-9D6E-96224F4C3813.jpeg

Noel
Foss-Solvagg
Kristofferson

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier
HK - he's just skiing really well right now.
Strasser - home court.
Feller - why not?

Surprised that Schwartz is still in the top seven, he hasn't really recovered from his ankle injury.

Strolz in ninth is now within striking distance without skiing out of his mind......Hmmmm......probably should have picked him for the podium.....

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
HK - he's just skiing really well right now.
Strasser - home court.
Feller - why not?

Surprised that Schwartz is still in the top seven, he hasn't really recovered from his ankle injury.

Strolz in ninth is now within striking distance without skiing out of his mind......Hmmmm......probably should have picked him for the podium.....
2/3, correct spots on those two also.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmmm......

Something continues to not belong here....trying to out Hirscher?

HK has been on a Marker Piston plate all season as part of his constant attempt to figure out what's going wrong with his consistency (spoiler: it's most likely the pilot not the airplane). That said, it seems to be working for him so... as long as his primary equipment sponsor isn't shutting it down, there you go.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
HK has always been a notorious “fiddler” when it comes to his entire equipment set up. Every. Single. Thing.

Hopefully, one of the only people that he listens to….his father….has convinced him to make minimal changes for the rest of the season. He has tomorrow, then the SL at Flachau followed by WCF’s. It should be a great race to the globe and he surely can win it.

But if he starts letting his equipment into his head, that has historically not worked for him. I hear that 5% of the time the fiddling makes him confident and 95% of the time it rattles him.

Not really sure what the secret sauce with that binding and plate setup is. Could be as simple as it’s what Hirscher landed on…with completely different skis, and a very different physique….oh, and boots….

I do like to see HK back on the top step.

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
BTW, I think there is a lot of truth to this chatter that the majority of the field….like almost everybody who was in Beijing….are just exhausted. Some just really don’t look like themselves to me. Might not be the case. It sure looks like in with the women at Crans Montana.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Aerni wins for best save even if he did DNF.
Great battle down the hill for HK!!!
Impressed to see Feller ski within himself & blaze the bottom. Really wanted to pick him didn’t trust him :doh: .

1B7E6541-C8A9-4026-8667-AFCB43BB384C.jpeg

Feller
HK
Vinatzer

Muleski

Inactive
I was rooting and screaming SO HARD for Tanguy Neff, Suisse, Dartmouth 2020.

He has incredible speed. He’s on the cusp.
Have a strong feeling of that. He looked so fast….but you can’t straddle. Right?

Probably the best in Dartmouth’s long history….and there have been a lot. One year I think he won the NCAA SL title, and was something like 15th in the WC SL in Zagreb.

I root for all the EISA guys, and most of the RMISA, too!!

Muleski

Inactive
Nice double win by HK. To think he could actually win SL title is interesting.

He's up by 49 points over Braathen, 78 over Linus, 94 over Riding.

Who's skiing better right now? Next race is Flachau, in about 10 days. I think Flachau could be a good hill for him. Then the last one at WCF's.

I love the young Vikings. I have always admired what Ryding has accomplished and the tour loves the guy.

My hunch is that HK is focused and dialed. When he has it working, wow. IMO, only Hirscher could beat him. And now he's bigger, stronger and more mature.

I think he WILL win, and if you'd asked me a month ago I would have said absolutely NO CHANCE.

He can drive fans crazy, but he's really fun to watch when he's dialed and ready to bring it.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can't really understand what is happening to Noel this season. Really happy he won the Olympics, but otherwise he's been very inconsistent. Two DNFs in two days isn't good at all.

Muleski

Inactive
I think, and I'm not alone, that the Mens' SL field is just "stacked". Deep and talented. Very much so. There are SO many guys in the field who can bring blazing speed. Now bringing it for two runs, and across the finish line, well, that's a real challenge at times for most. Everybody in the field seems to have periods of time when they have it all working and others when they just don't quite. And all that I hear is that everybody is going full gas, pedal to the medal all the the time! Which will lead to straddles, getting thrown out, etc. These aren't like U14's backing it down to finish.

It doesn't take much to make a difference one way or the other for the experienced guys. In my observations, tweaks to boots and the whole gamut of "setup" can work magic and make them feel right on top of their game.....skiing to win. Or, they can be convinced that it needs more work, is not working and they are just not going to be near the top.

At this level, they ALL seem to be able to handle any surface, any terrain, steeps, flats, transitions......sure, some better than others. But in general, these guys are so damn good.

Right now, HK seems to have it working, both on snow and in his head. And, when he's been dialed in like this in the past, he is one tough competitor. But so are the others. I like his chances to win the globe, But there are guys who will not win the globe who could pop two runs and just smoke him in either race.

That's pretty much the way SL is these days. The first repeat winner was HK, winning both this weekend. The first six SL's.....six different winners and a lot of faces on the podium. And in Beijing each guy on the Podium {Noel, Strolz, F-S} had won on the WC this season.

Next two should be interesting, IMO!

Really amazing. Quite a bit different than the ladies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid