• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

James

Out There
Instructor
In important news, how do we like her new?helmet?

92AB8165-B38B-419C-973E-50982C4D9316.jpeg

maple19

Getting on the lift
Skier

The end of this interview encapsulates who she is as an athlete so well - the interviewer asks if she’s ever skied with Roger Federer and she says no, but hopes one day she could take him to do some drills! THAT is her idea of fun and I (perhaps controversially) love it…

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
My bad.............it said in the SR article Shiffrin rules out racing downhill; Super-G next at Worlds. I thought it meant she was skipping both. Regardless she medaled in the Super-G.

James

Out There
Instructor
Not sure about helmet, but once for a change, I actually like US speedsuits. They look nice... I guess it was time to get Italians to design them :ogbiggrin:
We’ve had some pretty awful ones. Not sure why for years they allowed spider webs on them. Might as well put Louis Vuitton symbols all over. Then Land Rover green…

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can’t see it’s mentioned. Mikaela gets Silver in the Super G, in the process equaling the record of most World Champ medals.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah ^
The clarity/eloquence/understanding. Her intelligence is as visible when she speaks as her skill when on skis.
Also in the Burke Academy drill clips; just a remarkable ability to communicate clearly.
And her humility is - just charming….

And awesome skiing by Fede and Marta ! Really pulling for Sophia to put the tri in tricolore !
I forget which southern general it was that was asked how they could have lost at Gettysburg [ given that they were considered the superior force ] said something to the effect of “the Yankees had something to do with it”

James

Out There
Instructor
Can’t see it’s mentioned. Mikaela gets Silver in the Super G, in the process equaling the record of most World Champ medals.

World Championships and World Cups, Mikaela Shiffrin Keeps Making Her Mark​

6AD1D1CE-A7BB-4A02-81C2-CF30CAAD2656.jpeg

Photo: Guillaume Horcajuelo/EPA
A silver medal in super-G gave Shiffrin her 12th career medal at the world Alpine skiing championships and made her the first woman in the modern era to accumulate that many.

By Matthew Futterman Feb. 8, 2023, NY Times

It’s becoming difficult to keep track of all the records Mikaela Shiffrin is breaking.
She finished second in her race on Wednesday, capturing a silver medal at the Alpine world championships in France in the super-G, which is probably her fourth best of the five Alpine disciplines.

No matter. Another day, another mountain, another race, and some more records for Shiffrin, the 27-year-old American who has been making headlines on the slopes since she was in her early teens.

“I’ve kind of accomplished every wish I’ve ever had in terms of world championships and medals,” Shiffrin said over the weekend, before the racing started.

With her silver medal Wednesday, Shiffrin’s success at the biggest skiing meet outside the Olympics is moving into rarefied territory.
————————-

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/08/...ytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

^ Gift link, but don’t know how many can use it.

Last edited:

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
I like the new version of the Kappa race suits Mikaela is wearing much better than the navy ones that were kind of boring looking. Although I think the USST should be wearing U.S.A. suits made by Spyder or Sync and not one from Italy. The good news is this suit looks sharp on Mikaela! Go USST!

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
I like the new version of the Kappa race suits Mikaela is wearing much better than the navy ones that were kind of boring looking. Although I think the USST should be wearing U.S.A. suits made by Spyder or Sync and not one from Italy. The good news is this suit looks sharp on Mikaela! Go USST!
Spyder suites are made in Poland imported by Spyder Europe.

Sp tag.jpg
sp 2.jpg
sp3.jpg

Last edited:

Awalkspoiled

Putting on skis
Skier
Unbelievably clueless reporter almost manages to unhitch Shiffrin from her incredibly sportsmanlike attitude. Her level of humility in the face of her own excellence is superhuman.

Reactions: JCF

James

Out There
Instructor
Someone did similar to Bode at the end of a race after his brother died.
They’re trying yo get a reaction, like Vhlova’s tweet after she won a few weeks ago.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I couldn't quite hear the question that the reporter asked that made her pause, what did he say?

Sponsor

Staff online