• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

maple19

Getting on the lift
Skier
I don’t really think either party was at fault in that interview. He merely asked her what she was thinking about the race and if she was happy with the medal. She understandably appears to misunderstand him/thinks he’s implying that she should be disappointed with silver. She gets a bit upset, and then because she’s wearing sunglasses he doesn’t know why she hasn’t responded to his question, and so he wonders if she’s angry. With the loud atmosphere plus the language barrier, it appears to just be a misunderstanding between them (and she said as much in a second interview with ORF that day).

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Let's face it: none of us has any idea of how much pressure Mikaela puts on herself at these events. They are big deal things for USST and for media exposure in the U.S. and the tears were probably ones of relief for her: that she still knows how to lay down a run at a big event, that she's able to perform.

And I'm guessing that she's missing her dad more than ever. Her glimpses to the camera were knowing ones. And the ORF interviewer, to his credit, didn't over-press. He saw what was happening and let it happen. Frankly he did better than most members of the U.S. media would do in those situations.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Here's a few photos of one of Solitude Mountain Resort's M-B Sprinter Van resort shuttles with a new wrap.

IMG_1051.jpeg

IMG_1049.jpeg

IMG_1048.jpeg

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Looks like big changes.

The Stifel US Alpine Team has issued a short statement.

“Mikaela Shiffrin will be moving forward with new coaching and will continue to be supported closely by the Stifel U.S. Alpine Ski Team coaches for the remainder of the season and in the future. The team thanks Mike Day for his work and great success over the last seven years.”

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Looks like big changes.

The Stifel US Alpine Team has issued a short statement.

“Mikaela Shiffrin will be moving forward with new coaching and will continue to be supported closely by the Stifel U.S. Alpine Ski Team coaches for the remainder of the season and in the future. The team thanks Mike Day for his work and great success over the last seven years.”
l wonder if we’ll get to hear the rest of the story :huh:

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
l wonder if we’ll get to hear the rest of the story :huh:
Looks like it was a decision by Mikaela (or Eileen).

“After working with Mike Day for seven seasons, I’ve decided to move forward with new leadership on my team for the next phase of my career. I want to thank Mike and acknowledge all of his work and dedication over the last several years.”

This might be an evolving story, and we will continue to report only if there is relevant additional information.

maple19

Getting on the lift
Skier
Something very big must have happened, because neither Day nor Shiffrin benefit from such a sudden and drama-filled split like this. Day’s been with her for seven years now - there’s no way this doesn’t affect her mental or emotional state heading into this weekend. Not to mention that this is a PR disaster that can only serve to be a major distraction for her. If you are Shiffrin or her mom, this is simply not what you want two days before WSC tech races begin. And Day doesn’t look good either - he was either fired during WSC, or he resigned and ”abandoned” his athlete during WSC. Obviously there is way more nuance to this, but on a basic level this is good for no one, so you’d have to think it was precipitated by something very major. I also heard he was with Shiffrin in Orcières Merlette this weekend for tech training, so it was seemingly also very sudden.

James

Out There
Instructor
Mikaela protested-

———————-
It’s been a hectic week for Shiffrin since the super-G. She was targeted by a small protest from environmentalists who thought she wanted to travel by helicopter between her off-site base in Gap and the training slope in Orcieres, which was a 40-minute drive away.

The Orcieres ski club and a helicopter company had offered the use of a helicopter but Mitter told them from the start that she wasn’t interested, said Megan Harrod, Shiffrin’s spokeswoman.

“They made up stories,” Riml said. “She always planned on driving up and down.”

Because of the concerns about the protest, however, security was brought in to protect Shiffrin, Riml said, although Harrod added that the skier “didn’t even hear” the protest.
———————-

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I really don't think her set up (not necessarily MS herself) helps itself with unnecessarily timed drama. Coaching had obviously been working out pretty ok in the WC so far this season.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Something very big must have happened, because neither Day nor Shiffrin benefit from such a sudden and drama-filled split like this. Day’s been with her for seven years now - there’s no way this doesn’t affect her mental or emotional state heading into this weekend. Not to mention that this is a PR disaster that can only serve to be a major distraction for her. If you are Shiffrin or her mom, this is simply not what you want two days before WSC tech races begin. And Day doesn’t look good either - he was either fired during WSC, or he resigned and ”abandoned” his athlete during WSC. Obviously there is way more nuance to this, but on a basic level this is good for no one, so you’d have to think it was precipitated by something very major. I also heard he was with Shiffrin in Orcières Merlette this weekend for tech training, so it was seemingly also very sudden.
Do you have a source for any of this or just speculating? "Drama-filled" ? Shiffrin and drama are two words I don't associate together. One of the reasons I really like her as an athlete.

maple19

Getting on the lift
Skier
Do you have a source for any of this or just speculating? "Drama-filled" ? Shiffrin and drama are two words I don't associate together. One of the reasons I really like her as an athlete.
Yeah actually, I do. According to Riml, Day “took off” after she informed him she wanted to move on at the end of the season. He said they were “shocked” that he left like that. So yeah, your coach unexpectedly taking off and hoping on a plane to the US is drama…

And I’m the biggest Shiffrin fan there is but it is well known that Team Shiffrin is in many ways nothing but “drama-filled.” Her last two coaches have left mid-season - one during WSC and the other mere weeks before the Olympics. Before that, her coach was fired for posting videos of her on Youtube. And the origins of Mikaela getting her own coaching team way back when? Nothing but drama.

Again, I’m a huge fan of her and for the most part I don’t blame her - but there is always drama. There’s also a big distinction between Shiffrin herself and Team Shiffrin, the latter of which undoubtedly being where most if not all of the drama comes from.

James

Out There
Instructor
Before that, her coach was fired for posting videos of her on Youtube.
Yeah, that was truly ridiculous. Unless there’s stuff we haven’t seen, none of it gives anything away.

The Opera continues!
The immediate results last time were not so great.

Sponsor

Staff online