• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
and just saw @Mark1975 posting. Totally agree. Time for a complete revamp of USS and top level changes.

I am afraid wishful thinking on our parts. USSS/PSIA is a built like a pyramid. The top isn't going anywhere unless the bottom walks away from it, and since they are both the only games in town, there is little chance of that happening. What USSS is counting on is with a population of 350 million, there will be the next Bode or Lindsey somewhere out there to market the heck out of, thus keeping the bottom from walking away. It is all about keeping the gravy train moving down the rails, and since FIS level and above ski racing in the U.S. involves the 1% to 2% crowd for the most part, there is always a lot of gravy to be had.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

4ster

Instructor

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
It’s a VERY different season for everybody: fans, coaches, athletes and those working for the various ski federations. Add to it the issues that Mikaela, her mother and brother are dealing with. I keep hearing that MS and Eileen are both holding the other up, or together.

I believe that there is a bit of a filter on much of what we see. My understanding is that the training, including free skiing {and drills} in Reiteralm was great. Area is essentially closed, weather was great, etc. Yes, it IS “her job”, but it seems like it was enjoyable.

I’m not expecting a single thing in terms of how much we see her race this season. Ot would be a plus, in terms of her career, and such if she does race at the FIS World’s this spring. Who cares if she races just one event?

Much has be written here, and elsewhere, about what a “different” adolescence and young adult years MS had. I, for one, was surprised and pleased when it became public that she was in a relationship with Math Faivre. She has been so sheltered. Her team of one, her family, her coaches and her agent, Kili.

I hear people speak that she is NOT a kid. I could debate that. Or that she should be moving on. Maybe. Or perhaps we don’t grasp the effect of things. It’s not like she has a huge support group, or friend group...as it has been relayed to me.

My hunch is that she will race this weekend, and I suspect they they may fly back to the US, through the holidays. Then race again on 1/12, the Flachau SL.

We’ll see. A lot for them to deal with. Not as simple as training, being fit, and pushing out of the starting gate.

I suspect that Eileen {and Kili} have dictated to the USST {friends of CEO Tiger Shaw and ES say that he is petrified of taking her on} that any racing will be done on her terms. Have her support team ready to roll, but only when E and M give it the green light.

I’m staying out the team of one, and HUGE level of support provided by the USST...along with how in affects the USST. BTW, those who say it was the same with LV and her level of USST support {and expenses} are not so much in the loop.

USST, Tiger, Megan Harrod {USST Media} sure would like MS back.

In the meantime, let’s get excited about any progress. Paula M, Nina O’B, Breezy....maybe even Lila L. We’ll see.

Wishing ALL the Shiffrins the very best. The end of 2020 can’t come soon enough for many.

4ster

Instructor
We’ll see. A lot for them to deal with. Not as simple as training, being fit, and pushing out of the starting gate.

I’m not expecting a single thing in terms of how much we see her race this season. Ot would be a plus, in terms of her career, and such if she does race at the FIS World’s this spring. Who cares if she races just one event?
I can understand why she may want to pick & choose. As long as she can maintain her top seed there is probably no reason to push out of the gate if she doesn’t think she has a good chance of winning. They seem to have done a pretty good job of that (winning) so far.
Whatever she decides to do I hope it will be the right thing for her & when she looks back there are no regrets. One could really call this period of time an injury that she needs time to come back from.

Muleski

Inactive
That’s an interesting point, and I would think that if it were up to the NGB of the sport, the USSS/USST, it MIGHT be possible. Not sure that FIS would begin to see one’s emotional/mental health as fitting into their injury and frozen points “box.” Pretty old school, IME.

James

Out There
Instructor
Why would she fly back to the US for Christmas? I mean in normal times, ok, but things are a mess here and getting worse. I guess if they have access to a private jet, maybe, but it just seems too much. Plus, wouldn’t they need to quarantine going back?

I suppose, if she fly's back into Austria, she could have a sign around her neck saying “positive”, and they’d ask for an autograph and let her in anyway. ogsmile Not sure the crystal globe effect works anywhere else. Possibly Slovenia?

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Why would she fly back to the US for Christmas? I mean in normal times, ok, but things are a mess here and getting worse. I guess if they have access to a private jet, maybe, but it just seems too much. Plus, wouldn’t they need to quarantine going back?

They have the Red Bull private jet at their disposal. And while they would need to quarantine, their bubble is tiny and they can keep that bubble even if they choose to train on-snow. It is a lot of travel, for sure, but it's not something atypical for elite U.S. winter sports athletes.

Muleski

Inactive
Great day, great result for all: MS, her family, coaches and support team, AND for the entire women’s tech team who seem like a tighter group {including Mikaela} than they have been in about 10 years. That last part is great to see.

Fun to celebrate MS’s win and AJ Hurt’s first WC points!

I hope that this is the emotional lift that M, Eileen, Taylor and her team needed to get a big more back on track and “centered.” My sense is that she can and will race whatever and whenever she wants this season. She proved to all that she’s got it.

If it’s a very cut back schedule, fine. Whatever works best for her, and family.

I DO hope that she races at the FIS WC’s, and comes to Cortina on top of her game, in every respect. Think she will.

Sun and hard snow is good stuff!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh me of little faith! :P With all the off-and-early season uncertainty, I didn't see Shiffrin getting a win this early.

I haven't watched any of it yet, but it's a shame to see that Vlhova and Bassino and Robinson skied out.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Her post-race interview by the FIS media person was tough to watch. MS was bawling, Eileen swooped in to comfort her. It wasn’t much of an interview in the end, more of a “great to have you back” reassurance as MS couldn’t really string words together.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I get FIS ski racing on a channel on my YOUTUBE TV. I watched a GS race in Courchevel over the weekend and Mikaela did not win. It was snowing very heavily and MS came in 4th. The announcer said they will race again tomorrow and hoped the weather is better. Can someone explain about the 2 races?? Is one a prelim and the other count towards FIS points?? Or is there just two races with 2 runs each?

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Two races. FIS usually schedules two races on adjacent days. I presume it is to cut down on the travel and course-prep.

Yup. And this year’s travel aversion is more drastic than usual. If not for the pandemic the postponed races would’ve been moved to future race locations or canceled altogether. Given most of these venues are closed to the public right now it’s easy to push to Monday (at least with tech events).

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
She is truly America's Sweetheart.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And it’s World Cup points in these races. FIS points is something different and you want a low number.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I think it was Olympic Gymnast Mary Lou Retton that held that honor. Usually it's for movie stars.

Sponsor

Staff online