• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There's an option, at least on Android/Samsung to set selfies as previewed (check the box) or flipped (uncheck the box).
Screenshot_20211021-080259_Camera.jpg

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Because a mirror image is a "lie" but people are used to seeing themselves in the mirror so prefer it. Presumably that's why OSs introduced the feature to flip back a camera image to a mirror one.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Because a mirror image is a "lie" but people are used to seeing themselves in the mirror so prefer it. Presumably that's why OSs introduced the feature to flip back a camera image to a mirror one.
OK, but I wouldn't call that vanity. I'd call that people just not being used to seeing themselves un-reversed, and preferring the other way. Kind of like thinking you sound weird when you hear a recording of your voice. I don't see how vanity is involved, personally.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
In a selfie?

Clue is in the name
Oh... I thought you were saying reversing the image was the vanity part. :ogbiggrin: My bad.

That said, a selfie of just yourself might often be vanity. But a picture of yourself with Mikaela Shiffrin is a memento and a memory.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Oh... I thought you were saying reversing the image was the vanity part. :ogbiggrin: My bad.

That said, a selfie of just yourself might often be vanity. But a picture of yourself with Mikaela Shiffrin is a memento and a memory.
Even more reason to turn it the right way round.

Anyway interesting as I found out that selfies are sometimes lies. Next I'll find out about beauty filters and airbrushing and that will blow my mind.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Any chance we might get back to MS?

Not that “Selfie Talk” is not compelling.

Anybody heard confirmation that she either IS or ISN’T a go for this weekend in Soelden? Hearing some chatter….with nobody really able to confirm a thing. These are folks there now, drawing national federation paychecks.

I hope she and others are ready to race. Particularly M. But of course the whole season will be measured by her medal count in China. So best to be healthy then….

USST has far too many injured athletes on the shelf. And the season has not started!

Maybe digging into this, and overhauling some conditioning and coaching staff should be Job 2 {after fixing TV} for our new CEO. Of course with not an ounce of experience, and with the braintrust around her, she likely does not think it is an issue.

Back to Selfies, Mirrors, Smoke & Mirrors….

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Don't really care about the Olympics for MS - especially with what happened to Biles at the summer games. The media hype machine shows no remorse and requires more souls to power its operation. I can't imagine how hard it is with the constant pressure from social media. I imagine every interview leading to the games is going to claw at the old wounds to draw new blood for the audience.

Until a few years ago, it seemed to be a foregone conclusion she would smash Stenmark's WC wins record... now... ??

James

Out There
Instructor
Shiffrin at virtual Atomic Media day recently.

“For my whole career my focus will always be tech, but I love speed, and I love Lake Louise especially, so that is in the plan right now,” Shiffrin said.

“I probably won’t be at every single speed race, it’s just not really possible.
“The overall, is always in the back of my mind but it’s not my highest focus. My real top focus, the thing that’s driving all my decisions is if I’m able to ski slalom and GS to the best of my ability, on my top level. If I feel it’s not there I’ll take away some speed races or this or that or even say maybe the Overall globe is not something I want to do.
———————-

Tweet about Wash Post story-

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
I will say it once again.

ALL the USST/USSS Board Chair, and his cadre of close supporters on the board, care about is medals. OLYMPIC medals.
Not development, not even WC wins, or WC globes. OLYMPIC MEDALS.

Now any of us can say we don’t care, but in the opinion of the chair, who skied for Bill Marolt at CU-Boulder, he’s clearly a “best in the world” guy….as measured by medals. I think it continues to be nuts. Crazy.

It gets even more ridiculous when you look at legitimate medal favorites, and even when you stretch it to hopefuls…possible medalists.

The list in the eyes of most starts and ends with Mikaela. And she knows it.

Best of luck throughout the season.

I clearly recall a conversation with her, and some friends at a summer BBQ 3-4 years ago. She was telling me that he best friends were in college and loving it. And she wondered what she was missing. Maybe she should be playing tennis of soccer in college.

She is a complex young woman, and I think even more so since the loss of her dad. Being a fan of the sport, I selfishly hope that what is best for her is enabling us watching her chase down the Stemark record on the WC.

BTW, anybody heard much about Project 26 {2026} lately? How’s that working out and coming together?

Fingers crossed for MS.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
She is a complex young woman, and I think even more so since the loss of her dad. Being a fan of the sport, I selfishly hope that what is best for her is enabling us watching her chase down the Stemark record on the WC.
I’m right with you on that but I’m not sure that it is really selfish. I would say that I fully support her chance to leave a historic legacy that will live long after we are all gone. If she goes a different direction so be it.
From the outside it appears that Kilde has helped put the spark back in her step. Let’s hope nothing screws that up.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It probably helps if none of us projects our hopes and wishes too much on her. We come to think of sports stars as superhumans because in athletic ability they are and most are cut from a different cloth re competitive nature and willingness to grind. But none are infallible nor should we expect that.

I sense the tide is turning a bit in sport with Biles, Osaka and, at least in the parts of the world that follow the better bat/ball sport some high profile cricketers hitting the mental health pause button (England's standout all rounder missing the current World Cup). For that reason whatever decisions Team Shiffrin takes should be accepted (maybe sometimes training is preferable to attending a race weekend).

Muleski

Inactive
It’s not good. There is so much to fix. I’m not on board with the new hire, and I am clearly not alone in my thinking. I am pretty certain that we are going to see Tiger Shaw firmly thrown in front of the bus, even after he is gone. Some deserved, some not.

Anybody in the non-profit PR and fund raising business would tell us that you MUST promote your organization, your priduct. We appear to have an Instagram wannabe influencer running media. And PR. And it does NOT INTRODUCE ANYBODY WHO MATTERS to the sport.

This is an Olympic year. Kipp Nelson, the board chair, has made it very clear that he is old school Marolt. All about medals.

So when our most interested and devoted fans struggle to find a way to watch WC events, how does that create any expansion? Anything that could be pitched to sponsors? Does it?

We’ll see a bunch of athlete vignettes and very limited skiing on NBC during the OWG’s. Not a chance that we’ll see a single run by every qualifying alpine athlete. Based on the fact that nobody cares!

Is the cart before the horse? As always it seems backwards. And yes, it is frustrating.
At the least, the USSS/USST could provide a bit better roadmap for people to view it!

Same old. Actually probably worse than same old.

If you have European friends, they are likely astounded that it’s so difficult here.

That’s all, folks.

Sponsor