• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
French Bordeaux Merlot with sirloin BBQ Kabobs...excellent.

View attachment 174348

Tonight red with a Filet, corn and casear salad. Saturday night north of 7!!
You're living high on the hog. Cow. Whatever.

Can't quite read that label, but nice shot.

Who can explain the weirdness of Canadian wine labels? I don't mean labels on Canadian wine; I mean labels on wine in Canada, like the above. Do Canadian importers buy in bulk and then bottle and label stuff themselves or something? And don't the French (Italians, Germans, whatever) freak out about it? Just can't get my head around the whole thing. And to make it MORE confusing, if you go to a restaurant often you get the wines and labels you're used to from dining / wine shopping elsewhere in the western world.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
French Bordeaux Merlot with sirloin BBQ Kabobs...excellent.

*ucking Merlot!!!

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I've been enjoying a handful of Merlots of late .. semi random but all nice and one very very good.

It's always a mistake to dismiss a classic. Defensive move that reflects on the dismisser, not on the dismissed. Some good soul taught me this in college, in another context - music, I think.

You won't catch me turning down a glass of l'Evangile or a Napa bottling made by someone who gets it, that's for sure

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Merlot was Petite Marine Merlot 2019
Bordeaux blend - Merlot/Cab S Vignobles Canet Special Oak Reserve Languedoc 2020

All are part of offerings from a wine buying club that I belong to here in Canada. It's got to be special if I spend over $20/bottle.
The Filet - Costco. I like good meat!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's always a mistake to dismiss a classic. ......
I show hate to no wine! (further proven by my uptick in whites ... )

Diversity is a lovely thing especially in wines. It'll be interesting in how things change with temperature changes/trends being observed. Gee, two things I love so closely affected, wine and skiing.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
eheh ...

decided we'd do another Franc bottle tonight. Still enjoyed it ogsmile

Resized_20220731_185802 (1).jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ahhh, who'd a thought I'd promote this but ...

Happy National White Wine Day ... August 4th!

for a bit later .. suspect it's fine given it's popularity, also it's hot out and so it's sounding good.

Resized_20220804_145954.jpeg

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
They offer a Picpoul de Pinet wine in my club. Never tried it. Maybe I should. Oh, it's in this offering....$21/bottle and I have to buy 6. Think I'll look for single bottle to try first. If I like it order next year...

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
They offer a Picpoul de Pinet wine in my club. Never tried it. Maybe I should. Oh, it's in this offering....$21/bottle and I have to buy 6. Think I'll look for single bottle to try first. If I like it order next year...
We drank a lot of picpoul's several years ago, though I don't remember if any were actually from the AOC. We got out of the habit for no particular reason, except maybe ready availability. I liked them.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
. Oh, it's in this offering....$21/bottle and I have to buy 6.
Personally pass...unless wine is way more expensive in CA than US? There are tons of very good Picpouls for $10-15 USD. It's not a grape that needs/wants a lot of extra $$$$ thrown at it.

Sponsor

Staff online