• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ski Racing just posted a list of Norways female and male World Cup and Europa Cup members for 2018-2019. Many, most, of the skiers on the list are those you would expect to see. What was interesting to me was that the people who made the selections were listed by name, and the selectors for the female and male skiers were different people All the selected skiers were also accepted by the national association. Pretty transparent system. It shows the strength of the Norwegian Team in that the team members can be named this far in advance of the 2018-19 season.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The "selectors" are the various Norwegian coaches, listed by gender. I honesty think it's pretty much the same process followed by most federations. What we don't see here is the actual criteria to be named. Is it all objective, all subjective, a mix of both? Interesting that the Norwegians have two Canadian guys among their top coaches.

I think the timing is such that they can line up their their various training blocks, etc. Their mens speed team has recently been training in Norway with the USA speed men {those who are healthy}. They have a pretty strong working relationship.

The USST has their published objective criteria. I suppose that things will be held up this season, until we have a new Alpine Director and Mens HC in place {along with whatever other turnover in the coaching ranks may be taking place.}

But, the people who have made criteria know it. Those who have not made criteria know it. The only questions are whether they make discretionary picks, and to which teams, which independents they may be discussing firm WC starts with {they may not be....and that would be a HC decision}, and what level support that might provide for that group. Along with the costs......

We almost always announce the USST Nominations at the end of May.

BTW, the Norwegians, I hear, are formalizing a pretty detailed training arrangement to use Aspen as their North American training base. That may be men only. I'm sure we'll see more press on that soon. The Norwegians love the set up there.

I think the Norwegians really have their act together, in so many ways. Impressive. But I don't think this announcement is unusual.

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
What was interesting to me was that the people who made the selections were listed by name, and the selectors for the female and male skiers were different people All the selected skiers were also accepted by the national association. Pretty transparent system.
Procedure is pretty much everywhere the same. And while this might looks like super transparent system, in reality it's not just like that. Just check how things were going on this year in their XC team, and you will see there's whole bunch of politics, even in NSF ;)
It shows the strength of the Norwegian Team in that the team members can be named this far in advance of the 2018-19 season.
Most of teams anywhere are selected around this time of the year. New season starts few days after last race, and now it's time for some last sprint ski trainings and testing, so teams should be pretty much set. This doesn't mean team for first race is already set, but team selections are mostly done. Teams for specific races will be set just few days/weeks before the first race. For teams that have more racers then they have quotas of course. If you have team with 3 guys and 4 guys could race, it's clear now already everyone are in :)

Sponsor

Staff online