• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2023 National Gathering in Utah - February 25 - March 4, 2023

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ski Mon - Fri
Right now, purchasing advanced tickets, 2x Alta, 1x Snowbird, 1x Brighton, 1x Solitude - comes to around $600. But that would have limited flexibility, cause you have to buy for a particular day.
However, the Mountain Collective pass right now is $600. So that could be the best option, leaving some additional days that I'm not sure I would get to use, but there's that.

SCHEDULE AND DAILY MEET-UPS
Sunday, February 26th - Snowbird
Monday, February 27th - Alta
Tuesday, February 28th - Snowbird
Wednesday, March 1st - Alta
Thursday, March 2nd - TBD
Friday, March 3rd - TBD

I would not assume that Thursday and Friday will be at Brighton and Solitude. In any case, the more flexible option is always better, all other things equal.

In general, I think most people who attend the gatherings regularly have landed on some variant of an "in for a penny, in for a pound" mentality. They decide that traveling to ski is going to cost them, no matter what, and so they might as well do what they really want. Then from that anchor point they start figuring out what their best options are for passes, travel, and lodging. Certainly if we can make it to Utah from New England, halfway to Portugal, you can make it from Arizona, a neighboring state. :D

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tally so far:
Pushing @teejaywhy over the edge: 9
Talking him down: nil

OK. Received an email with $25 off Black Friday deal for the Mountain Collective pass. Enough to push me over the edge. :ogbiggrin:

Done deal, I will add my name to the roll call. :beercheer:

Thanks for the shove!

Tom

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
(Thinking out loud...)

Big drive though, 680 miles one way. I've done it before when I was a lad. Not sure what it would be like to do it now. I've done a few 8 hour days in the last few years
A lot of gas @$5 /gal, but still less than flying/renting.

Is this a totally stupid idea? :huh:
Being possibly the oldest old fart here, I'll do the 620mi from Cali to Midvale UT in a SUV but the next day will be a R&R day with no skiing (rest). Maybe otherwise in my younger days ! lol :roflmao:

I have not checked this out yet but this deal should continue this year:
Last year you could ride the UTA ski buses up LCC, BCC for free it you have an Ikon Pass. I did this a couple times last year as heading up in the gas sucking SUV probably sucks up $10 or $15 in gas each trip - also avoids the parking CF at Alta or Solitude.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Being possibly the oldest old fart here, I'll do the 620mi from Cali to Midvale UT in a SUV but the next day will be a R&R day with no skiing (rest). Maybe otherwise in my younger days ! lol :roflmao:

We're mostly interested in your mdskier days. 24-25 hours to Denver, those ;)

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
I just noticed that Brighton requires IKON pass holders (like me) to make a reservation (none of the others nearby do: Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Snowbasin, DV)

So narrowing down the dates would be a good thing for those interested in doing a Sol/Bright day (or 2) as @Jim Kenney mentioned.

an Ikon Pass holder may cancel a reservation they have made for themselves or anyone on their Ikon Pass account by 11am MT on the day of the scheduled reservation. Any "no-shows”, visits without an active reservation or other misuse or violations of the reservation program may result in penalties.

So doesn't hurt to overbook as long as you cancel.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I just noticed that Brighton requires IKON pass holders (like me) to make a reservation (none of the others nearby do: Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Snowbasin, DV)

So narrowing down the dates would be a good thing for those interested in doing a Sol/Bright day (or 2) as @Jim Kenney mentioned.

So doesn't hurt to overbook as long as you cancel.
Do we have a quorum for Thurs, Mar 2 for a Sol/Bright Day?
Will there be a group meeting one night during the week to talk about 2024, and hangout, etc?
I realize that most folks that are staying up in LCC all week will probably not be interested in a jaunt over to BCC.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Since I sprang for the MC pass, I'll probably forego Sol/Bright and try to get my 2 Alta, 2 Snowbird and at least one Snowbasin.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm in... I'll update the opening post when I get a chance, to show a Sol/Bright day as an alternative to AltaBird for Thursday.
Opening post has been updated to fill out the schedule and note the Sol/Bright alternate plan for Thursday.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Roll call is at 32 as of today. Wasn't the last Utah gathering around 100?

EDIT: 116 on the roll call with 90 people actually spotted at the event. I wonder why there's such a big drop? It can't be all COVID related.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Roll call is at 32 as of today. Wasn't the last Utah gathering around 100?

EDIT: 116 on the roll call with 90 people actually spotted at the event. I wonder why there's such a big drop? It can't be all COVID related.

Wondering if the steady stream of reports of crowding, traffic and parking issues has cooled the enthusiasm ?

I have to say, this thread in somewhat disappointing in the delivery of stoke. My first gathering so I guess I was thinking there should be more. haha. I guess the mundane start to the season might have something to do with it. :snow::snow::snow:

I note the Pugs are not on the role call. Are they not coming? :( Apologies if I missed any previous communications.

Sponsor

Staff online