• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OFFICIAL 2023 National Gathering in Utah - February 25 - March 4, 2023

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wondering if the steady stream of reports of crowding, traffic and parking issues has cooled the enthusiasm ?

I have to say, this thread in somewhat disappointing in the delivery of stoke. My first gathering so I guess I was thinking there should be more. haha. I guess the mundane start to the season might have something to do with it. :snow::snow::snow:

I note the Pugs are not on the role call. Are they not coming? :( Apologies if I missed any previous communications.
This has been the best December / early season UT has had in at least 5 years in terms of snow. The crowding was really low; until it wasn't. And xmas week was unusually chaotic with numerous canyon closures and wild crowds /traffic jams. But the skiing, when you can ski, has been really good. The bigger lines which require larger base depths to cover / ski well, are already well covered and will open when patrol deems them ready. If it keeps up anything close to this, the gathering will be just fine.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Roll call is at 32 as of today. Wasn't the last Utah gathering around 100?

EDIT: 116 on the roll call with 90 people actually spotted at the event. I wonder why there's such a big drop? It can't be all COVID related.
But there were only 36 on last year's roll call at this time of year.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But there were only 36 on last year's roll call at this time of year.

I didn’t realize that. I thought more were signed up earlier but I didn’t dig deep in the old post.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For anyone attending the Gathering and hasn’t yet made reservations for accommodations, or for someone who’s on the fence about attending, I have a 3 BR house in Sandy that I’m renting. I had a SkiTalk friend who was going to split it with me, but has been off the radar and unlikely to attend.

So….it’s a 3 BR house near the Sandy Historical station so close to a Trax station, close to shopping, near the start of the Ski Bus route that goes to Alta and Snowbird. The house has a hot tub. To split the cost with only two of us (or if you’re a couple) it would cost you $125/night for however many nights you stay, or if all three rooms are used $85/night for each night.

I’m fine to have the place to myself as it’s far far less expensive than staying at Alta or Snowbird, though it’s always more fun to have ski housemates.

If you’re interested send me a PM.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple of folks have mentioned Snowbasin... anyone want to take the lead on a Snowbasin day/option/meetup during the Gathering?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So much amazing snow this year out this way!

I haven't really participated in this thread yet because we've been buried with so many other things while getting to this part of the season.
We skied Brighton today and WOW!
The snow is fantastic. The staff is friendly and the terrain is incredibly fun.

It never stopped snowing all day, so this morning I woke up to this tweet.
I think we're going to have to asses where we're skiing on a day by day basis based on things like this particular situation.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Roll call is at 32 as of today. Wasn't the last Utah gathering around 100?

EDIT: 116 on the roll call with 90 people actually spotted at the event. I wonder why there's such a big drop? It can't be all COVID related.
Yes we had 100 + at the last Utah gathering, but it was pre-covid.

Lets start amping this one up!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes we had 100 + at the last Utah gathering, but it was pre-covid.

Lets start amping this one up!
Lots of usual suspects on the list so far, though notably missing @LadySalina (whose account mysteriously seems unwilling to materialize) and @Old boot :(

Often locals will fill out the ranks on an ad hoc basis, right? Like @jmills115 , for example. Would love to see @Wasatchman .

Given the snow they've been getting, I'd think this thing would be a strong magnet for people from all over.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a reminder that for a Snowbasin day, we have @ZionPow offering up guide services for the high advanced skiers (take him up on this!) and @utskier can also guide or is available to be hired for a private "lesson" for up to 5 people through the ski school. Cut lines, early load at 8 a.m. He also knows Alta and Powder Mountain and Deer Valley really well.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple of folks have mentioned Snowbasin... anyone want to take the lead on a Snowbasin day/option/meetup during the Gathering?
You mean suggest a specific day of the week as a Snowbasin option?
If Sol-Bright is Thursday, then another day, maybe Friday?

Sponsor

Staff online