• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Okay Pugski...choose a crudski

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
@Josh Matta said it well as usual. On a more general note, I feel like an all mountain daily driver” ski should be a crud ski, becuase this is what we tend to ski with a few rock hard days and powered days mixed in. So, you need decent stiffness, metal or other types of dampening, and a moderate 19-25 m turn radius (in long lengths). A tapered tip design makes a lot of positive difference in crud as well. Again, no surprises that all the highly regarded daily driver skis of the past few years made the list. My personal choice would be either a Kastle FXHP for a versatile design with a mix of power and finesse, or, if you are after a trucking through feeling in a ski that can still pivot, and don’t mind an occasional bumpy ride, a Blizzard Cochise.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Josh Matta said it well as usual. On a more general note, I feel like an all mountain daily driver” ski should be a crud ski, becuase this is what we tend to ski with a few rock hard days and powered days mixed in. So, you need decent stiffness, metal or other types of dampening, and a moderate 19-25 m turn radius (in long lengths). A tapered tip design makes a lot of positive difference in crud as well. Again, no surprises that all the highly regarded daily driver skis of the past few years made the list. My personal choice would be either a Kastle FXHP for a versatile design with a mix of power and finesse, or, if you are after a trucking through feeling in a ski that can still pivot, and don’t mind an occasional bumpy ride, a Blizzard Cochise.

Serious question: does skier height (or other physiology) impact ideal turn radius?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yes, just look at the kids skis as an example. They definitely have smaller radii than adult skis ( race skis included).

I've noticed I generally prefer a short turn radius. Which doesn't really make sense to me, as we've established I'm not much good at letting the ski turn, so I don't know why it would matter.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've noticed I generally prefer a short turn radius. Which doesn't really make sense to me, as we've established I'm not much good at letting the ski turn, so I don't know why it would matter.

Short turn radius gives faster edge engagement feedback.

If you're going to only apply the edges for a short time instead of letting the ski turn, it helps to feel like you're getting on edge quicker.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
A ski for this? ...and I think this was just minutes after a rope drop...

Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 10.46.15 PM.png

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Height defiantly has to do with it. The longer the ski the higher turn radius it will have even in the same tip/waist/tail specs. The longer the radius/length the faster the ski needs to be going to drive it from edge to edge thus making long wide turns. If you Try to make slower short controlled turns on long and fat high radius skis it's hard to really engage the edges. This is what crushes people's knees

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
All the Head Monsters. Bonafide. E-100.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Height defiantly has to do with it. The longer the ski the higher turn radius it will have even in the same tip/waist/tail specs. The longer the radius/length the faster the ski needs to be going to drive it from edge to edge thus making long wide turns. If you Try to make slower short controlled turns on long and fat high radius skis it's hard to really engage the edges. This is what crushes people's knees
Yeah, but a long radius ski will be more stable and you will be able to power they clumps of snow.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For me I want something stiff, damp, metal, mid 20s turn radius, mid to high 180s length, 100 to 100mm waist, moderate tip and tail rocker with camber under foot.

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
My daily ski for Bridger Bowl is a crud ski. I am currently using a Nordica nRGY 107 for that roll but plan to replace it with the Nordica Enforcer 100. The Enforcer has a nice balance and doesn't beat you up in the bumps as badly as some of the skis listed in this thread.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
My daily ski for Bridger Bowl is a crud ski. I am currently using a Nordica nRGY 107 for that roll but plan to replace it with the Nordica Enforcer 100. The Enforcer has a nice balance and doesn't beat you up in the bumps as badly as some of the skis listed in this thread.

Chances are skier weight hasn't been injected in the calculus. ogsmile

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Yeah, but a long radius ski will be more stable and you will be able to power they clumps of snow.

For sure.. That's my point. We are discussing the best skis for crud/chop.
Just trying to answer the question of height effect from above.

Last edited:

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier

Weight should definitely come into play here. A few years ago I was up from my normal 6"1 175- 180 to just over 200. I could feel a crazy difference in ski stability. Especially if I got a little in the back seat

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Solly QST 99, Volkl 90Eight. Fischer Motive 95 (in 180, of course) was a nice blend of crud ski and whippy quick mogul ski.

That said, the best crud ski I tried was a ON3P Billygoat. For 116cm wide, it’s amazingly quick and agile (in shorter lengths, like 179/184) but very stable, and the tail releases nicely in heavy crud.

I have never felt like a Billygoat was going to let me down in the crappiest PNW conditions. A ski that can missile through the junk should not be as nimble as it is. I'll have a pair back in the box next season for sure.

aliebe

Booting up
Skier

Is there a point where one man's crud ski is another man's powder ski? I'm 6'4 245lbs. For example, everyone seems to rave about the Bonafide but would I lose the benefits and the best characteristics at my height and weight to where I need to start looking at the Cochise or something wider and longer?

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I like skiing crud and seemed to collect a lot of chargy crud skis. I sold most this year and kept the Moment Belafontes. It charges fast and hard through the chop like a Dynastar XXL, Stormrider Pro or Kastle MX but I'm able to scrub speed or stop quicker if need be. Most crud skis with less modern shapes I've had take a turn or two to slow the train down once they are at full commitment speeds.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Is there a point where one man's crud ski is another man's powder ski? I'm 6'4 245lbs. For example, everyone seems to rave about the Bonafide but would I lose the benefits and the best characteristics at my height and weight to where I need to start looking at the Cochise or something wider and longer?

Cochise, and Head makes a limited number of 192 monster 98's.

Sponsor

Staff online