• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Okay Pugski...choose a crudski

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cochise, and Head makes a limited number of 192 monster 98's.
The original Kastle MX98 was available in a 194. I recall skiing with Griffin Post at A-Basin one Mothers Day and for some reason I ended up skiing his 194 MX98 down Palli's. It was my last run of the day...and I don't think it was even lunch time.

Crudmaster

tinyurl.com/pungjgt
Skier
I had a Volant shape ski in a 188 CM that was great in the crud, so I would have to say traditional camber, metal, and a little extra weight.
What Uncle A didn't say is that the all-stainless Volants (not the later ones) were unsurpassed in crud because they were much more damped than any other ski. They gave a Cadillac ride in rough snow.

Camber, metal and weight were a lot of how Volant did that, but it's not the only engineering solution.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
As a current owner of all three types of Chubbs and Colorado era Sins, I will say that the Head Monster series from the past 2 years have been heavier and damper*, size for size. Arguably stiffer, too. I know, it shocked me too.

Several of my previous Volant favourites (blue-script 2002 Chubbs, Sins, Golds amongst them) are now made completely redundant by what's available in the modern marketplace.

*particularly in high frequency buzzy ranges like when edging on refrozen cat tracks.

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is there a point where one man's crud ski is another man's powder ski? I'm 6'4 245lbs. For example, everyone seems to rave about the Bonafide but would I lose the benefits and the best characteristics at my height and weight to where I need to start looking at the Cochise or something wider and longer?
Cochise will be better for you in all conditions.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
What Uncle A didn't say is that the all-stainless Volants (not the later ones) were unsurpassed in crud because they were much more damped than any other ski. They gave a Cadillac ride in rough snow.

Camber, metal and weight were a lot of how Volant did that, but it's not the only engineering solution.
I could not talk about ALL Volants because I only owned one pair but they did ride like a Limo with a Hemi. The friend that bought them from me still uses and loves them. Although he is younger and stronger than I am so weight is not an issue for him. I thought one other reason they skied so well was because of the stainless top sheet that went all the way down to the edges or what we would call a cap type ski. Other companies made cap skis but I think only Volant used a metal cap.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I could not talk about ALL Volants because I only owned one pair but they did ride like a Limo with a Hemi. The friend that bought them from me still uses and loves them. Although he is younger and stronger than I am so weight is not an issue for him. I thought one other reason they skied so well was because of the stainless top sheet that went all the way down to the edges or what we would call a cap type ski. Other companies made cap skis but I think only Volant used a metal cap.
My Volants, 190 cm machete g are fantastic crud skis and they are still lively. A little too lively to ski past 50 mph. I like the feel of their full camber, but that has more to do with their almost effortles hookup into a railed carved turn that isn't too short. The bonafied makes a good crud buster too, but is better at shorter carved turns and pivoted turns than long railed turns.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My Volants, 190 cm machete g are fantastic crud skis and they are still lively. A little too lively to ski past 50 mph. I like the feel of their full camber, but that has more to do with their almost effortles hookup into a railed carved turn that isn't too short. The bonafied makes a good crud buster too, but is better at shorter carved turns and pivoted turns than long railed turns.

I have to say that I totally expected your post to be about a 2015ish or so Bodacious. ogsmile You on a Bonafide. Hrmph.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My ideal top crud ski is one that is great in both resort powder and crud, both deep and shallow, and in at least some soft bumps, once powder on the flats is gone especially. I suspect that of the many skis I haven't tried, maybe the old metal Katanas would have been tops, for me. But I've guessed that those are too heavy for me now, given age, knee, etc.

I also suspect the Cochise (or even the Bonafide) might be my crud favorite(s) if I were at least 20 lbs. heavier. Maybe the current Cochises are more versatile than the older ones - seems like it: one of the best skiers on the mountain at Copper last week was charging sg style on groomers with new Cochises, just railing on edge the whole way. And then he'd bee line towards stretches of uneven crud, not missing a beat, popping into the air when possible. It sure looked great to me.

Reactions: BC.

SmileGuy

Booting up
Skier
Lots of good options mentioned. Id agree with the sentiments of everyday skis at western mountains should be crudbusters, mostly 98-110mm waists, 19-25M radius, stiff and damp.

I'd add the Line Supernatural 108 in a 186 as a recommendation. It's my current crud ski. Thing is a tank- heavy, 25 M radius, and stiff. I'm unwrapping a 2012 enforcer as soon as enough snow that should be pretty good as well. And my skinny daily driver, monster 88, isn't bad either-I'm sure 98 or 108 much better. Guess I like all my skis to be pretty good in the chop.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
And my skinny daily driver, monster 88, isn't bad either-I'm sure 98 or 108 much better.

Both will haul the mail in crud if needed. The 98 is better in certain conditions (deeper crud), and the 88 quicker edge to edge as you'd expect, but the 98 isn't plain old 'better'. They're both really near the top of any crud ski chart.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
As a PNW skier, mostly Mt Hood, any type of ski also has to be a good crud ski. Powder lasts about an hour, maybe less on a weekend and the groom gets cut up pretty good too. This year I am riding ON3P Wrenegade 98s as a daily driver and Billy Goats for fresh snow days. Both are bamboo core, no metal and have pretty good amount of tip and tail rocker. Only had the Wrenegades out so for this year. If I let them run a bit they become more stable which makes them handle really well in the crud. ON3P skis have a feel, maybe suspension is a better word that really works for me, especially in crud. Very damp into the turn and then a nice rebound out to setup the next turn.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Agree on the Head Monster series as great crud skis as are the longer lengths of their old Flight Series. I’m 6’2”/175 and my Head Venturi 95 in the 181cm are decent, the 191cm very good and the 181cm Head Collective 105 great through crud. I sometimes switch to the 191cm versions after lunch to fly through the afternoon crud with ease with my weight.

Constantly get asked about my skis on lifts as I am one of those crazy people easily going 50 plus mph through crud. Lol

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
givethepigeye - have you tried the El Capo? It seems like there is at least a little bit of Girish DNA in there.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
givethepigeye - have you tried the El Capo? It seems like there is at least a little bit of Girish DNA in there.

^ never did - went from Girish to OG Enforcer (avatar) to FX104. With a detour in NS Enforcer - back to FX104 - prolly should have given them a whirl.

Sponsor

Staff online