• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
nov 2022 heron PCB.jpg

2 nov 2022 sunset early PCB .jpg

nov 2022 mary's house.jpg

Random scenes from recent time in Florida.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Its not a very good picture, but here is one I took of the blood red moon (lunar eclipse) early this morning while waiting for the dogs to finish up. View attachment 182545
The moon normaly looks flat to me. @Michael Kane's photo makes it look like a ball - the light and shadow on it is quite visible. I wonder what causes the more than normal shading on the red moon.
Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 10.12.22 AM.png
When is the next full Moon? All about the July Buck Moon | GoodTo

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The moon normaly looks flat to me. @Michael Kane's photo makes it look like a ball - the light and shadow on it is quite visible. I wonder what causes the more than normal shading on the red moon.
View attachment 182670
When is the next full Moon? All about the July Buck Moon | GoodTo
"Flat" would imply everything is evenly lit. For something far away, we don't have much parallax difference between our eyes, so any depth you see is likely due to lighting and how your brain interprets it. A full moon is very evenly lit and far away, so not many depth cues.

In an eclipse, though, there is variation in the lighting as the shadow moves across the moon - it's not entirely light or dark. My guess is your brain then sees this shading as revealing the actual curve/bulge of the sphere that is the moon, and your brain interprets the depth from that.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Moon set over Beatty, NV.
20221110_074944.jpg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online