• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
A downsized for web digitized version of a 4x5 film transparency I shot with my view camera of quaking aspens during snow showers near Conway Summit on a fall leaf trip in October 2007. Am in process of tediously digitizing a few hundred old 4x5 slides and this is one finished a few days ago. Using my Sony A6000 with a Sigma 85mm prime plus extension tube to directly image focus stack sets from transparencies on a Logan light box. I then stitch blend stacked quadrants. Not drum scan quality but better than my old Epson scanner. Enough to look sharp on a large 8k display.

07-CC-8y.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
A downsized for web digitized version of a 4x5 film transparency I shot with my view camera of quaking aspens during snow showers near Conway Summit on a fall leaf trip in October 2007. Am in process of tediously digitizing a few hundred old 4x5 slides and this is one finished a few days ago. Using my Sony A6000 with a Sigma 85mm prime plus extension tube to directly image focus stack sets from transparencies on a Logan light box. I then stitch blend stacked quadrants. Not drum scan quality but better than my old Epson scanner. Enough to look sharp on a large 8k display.

View attachment 184600
I don't understand half of your process but you do beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Though I've never tried focus stacking, I'm familiar with the idea. But I'm not understanding the need for focus stacking for a perfectly flat subject like a transparency?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@SSSdave , like everyone else above I don't speak photography very fluently, but really like that picture of the aspens.
I am guessing that the "stacking" is what gives it the depth. That is a wonderful effect. Thank you.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Largest snow we have seen in town for at least 5 years, and still snowing. Will call it 6" since last night and it isn't over. The ski areas around here are predicted to get 1'-2' out of this storm cycle.
My Supervisor is in the window.

View attachment 184570
I love the "beware of dog" and then the dog scowling in the window :roflmao:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Yup.

I'm trying to figure out:

View attachment 184643

Of course, given my name, I had to ask about this one I saw on a pair of skis one day:
View attachment 184646
I thought I was being rejected.
Doug you are not alone, we have had so much fun with this over the years. Had one neighbor look at it for 2 years before he asked.

NO L noel.

Merry Christmas

SSSdave

Skier
Though I've never tried focus stacking, I'm familiar with the idea. But I'm not understanding the need for focus stacking for a perfectly flat subject like a transparency?
A key issue trying to digitize film with a camera has always been critical focus across a full film plain. No top ILC camera lenses are equally optimally sharp from frame center to frame edges and corners. The greater magnified detail desired, the more critical are the micro-dimensions of focus required regardless of added lens element optics tricks. Not only is film on any base not absolutely flat but also critical focus difference varies between say a center focus and frame points further away towards edges. Optimal optically would be a slightly concave film plain. There is tremendous potential resolution in slides but getting a critical focus from a single shot has been inferior to typical flatbed XY scanning processes, much less laser drum scanning. But laser drum scan cost about $80 each and I have hundreds of strong images.

But with focus stacking using a top medium telephoto prime digital lens, I can use sharpest apertures as F5.6 and take a number of shots at different film frame locations while setting Auto Spot Focus for each of those spots. At each point am taking an F5.6 and F8.0 shot. With 6 spots that is 2*6=12 shots per frame that later is optimized with Zerene Stacker that chooses the sharpest point for each XY spot to make the composite image. So 2*6*4=48 total shots. I do that for each of the 4x5 quadrants and then stitch blend combine that with Kolor Autopano for the full composite that I then perform Photoshop processes.

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey! There's a big, frosted donut in the sky!

SSSdave

Skier
@SSSdave , like everyone else above I don't speak photography very fluently, but really like that picture of the aspens.
I am guessing that the "stacking" is what gives it the depth. That is a wonderful effect. Thank you.
Much more impressive and real like will be when looking at the full image with high detail on a 65 inch or so diagonal UHD 8K pc monitor display, that is termed "immersive". Currently only large 8K TVs are available. With the recent implementation of DisplayPort 2.1, large pc displays will also soon be available in 2023.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A key issue trying to digitize film with a camera has always been critical focus across a full film plain. No top ILC camera lenses are equally optimally sharp from frame center to frame edges and corners. The greater magnified detail desired, the more critical are the micro-dimensions of focus required regardless of added lens element optics tricks. Not only is film on any base not absolutely flat but also critical focus difference varies between say a center focus and frame points further away towards edges. Optimal optically would be a slightly concave film plain. There is tremendous potential resolution in slides but getting a critical focus from a single shot has been inferior to typical flatbed XY scanning processes, much less laser drum scanning. But laser drum scan cost about $80 each and I have hundreds of strong images.

But with focus stacking using a top medium telephoto prime digital lens, I can use sharpest apertures as F5.6 and take a number of shots at different film frame locations while setting Auto Spot Focus for each of those spots. At each point am taking an F5.6 and F8.0 shot. With 6 spots that is 2*6=12 shots per frame that later is optimized with Zerene Stacker that chooses the sharpest point for each XY spot to make the composite image. So 2*6*4=48 total shots. I do that for each of the 4x5 quadrants and then stitch blend combine that with Kolor Autopano for the full composite that I then perform Photoshop processes.

Wow. Thanks for the details. One of my retirement projects is to digitize some old 35mm Kodachrome. Was planning to use FF DSLR with a macro lens, light table etc. Was assuming the DOF would be enough to capture all the film layers as well as any film concavity. Wasn't planning any stacking but I guess we'll see.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

The county and USFS did a wildfire fuel mitigation two years ago by clearcutting a number of acres of trees in USFS domain that was near my neighborhood. Last week and this they are burning the piles they left to dry.

IMG_20221206_121316987_crop.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online