• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From today at Alpental
IMG_1010.JPG

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is Mount Morgan just down the slope on 395 from mammoth lakes. As we drove south on a gorgeous day...the violent winds were already blowing west to east over the desert and blow snow off the top of this 13,747 foot peak adjacent to the John Muir Wilderness. My new iPhone 14 Pro just about begged to take this picture. I can stare it over and over...mesmerizing.
14119480-1899-4838-87BE-6805959E7EDC_1_100_o.jpeg

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
This is Mount Morgan just down the slope on 395 from mammoth lakes. As we drove south on a gorgeous day...the violent winds were already blowing west to east over the desert and blow snow off the top of this 13,747 foot peak adjacent to the John Muir Wilderness. My new iPhone 14 Pro just about begged to take this picture. I can stare it over and over...mesmerizing.
View attachment 196009
This is actually a photo of Mt. Tom at the bottom of the Sherwin Grade. Mt. Morgan (South), is on the north (right) side of Pine Creek, forming part of the Wheeler Crest and Rock Creek Canyon. And, just to add to the confusion, there is another Mt. Morgan just a bit further north behind Crowley Lake. One Morgan is in Inyo County and one is in Mono. In '05, two skiers were caught and killed in an avalanche on Mt Tom.
IMG_20180420_141657416_HDR.jpg
4/20/18

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is actually a photo of Mt. Tom at the bottom of the Sherwin Grade. Mt. Morgan (South), is on the north (right) side of Pine Creek, forming part of the Wheeler Crest and Rock Creek Canyon. And, just to add to the confusion, there is another Mt. Morgan just a bit further north behind Crowley Lake. One Morgan is in Inyo County and one is in Mono. In '05, two skiers were caught and killed in an avalanche on Mt Tom. View attachment 196112 4/20/18
Thanks and I was literally just mulling that over...On my Topo Matt it IS Mt. Tom...my mapping App was showing it as Mt. Morgan but didn't seem correct. Thank you for clarifying!

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is Mt. Morgan (North) from ski camp in McGee Creek July 12th, 2017. The one on the left. View attachment 196113
So many incredible peaks along the 395 corridor...just a feast for the sense. I was at the Mt. Whitney visitor center and they had the super cool Topo maps and I bought the two connecting ones to cover the entire region. Seeing the Owens Valley and the rise of the Sierra just is so amazing and all the little features. So lucky to be able spend time there!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
So many incredible peaks along the 395 corridor...just a feast for the sense.
...& the spectacular views of the eastern sierra range just continue to the north of Mammoth on 395!

Like Matterhorn Peak just west of Bridgport, CA. ...
1678491037698.png

Skiing on skinny Teles & leather boots in the early 80's...
Matterhorn Pk.jpeg

Cotton sweatpants, wool sweaters & homemade gators...
Matterhorn Pk 2.jpeg.jpeg

Somehow we survived & rarely saw another soul :eek:

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Although one might day hike to many mountain places, to really experience those amazing places in the High Sierra, one really ought to summer backpack into wilderness. The below, downsized for the web, is for you Tahoe ski fans, in Desolation Wilderness right along the west shore of Lake Tahoe. Heather Lake, Lake Aloha, and the Crystal Range. My actual image is one of my largest, 23,400 by 12,000 pixels, an 8 column by 3 row focus stack and stitch blended image.

RZ02904-03034-8x3y.jpg

And that above image of Mount Tom... Up that canyon to its right 2 backpacking days in is this pleasant place to base camp at. Golden trout too:

PT01619-01638-3x1vy.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online