• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
you-want-a-warning-signs.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is the engineer ordering the plate anchor to the outside dimensions of the pole base not to match the hole pattern and the contractor concreting it in place before the pole is delivered as per written spec.

Nope. The guy that set the anchor bolts misread the dimensions on the print for the base plate.

Or, when the field guy building the base with the anchor bolts called back to the shop and asked for the base plate dimensions, somebody accidentally added an inch.

I've seen this happen a few times, and here is how it goes: In hopes of giving a really precise measurement, the tape is held at the one inch mark, thus avoiding the always imprecise end on a well-used tape.....then when the dimension is communicated, they forget to subtract an inch or cm or whatever unit is being used.

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
Nope. The guy that set the anchor bolts misread the dimensions on the print for the base plate.

Or, when the field guy building the base with the anchor bolts called back to the shop and asked for the base plate dimensions, somebody accidentally added an inch.

I've seen this happen a few times, and here is how it goes: In hopes of giving a really precise measurement, the tape is held at the one inch mark, thus avoiding the always imprecise end on a well-used tape.....then when the dimension is communicated, they forget to subtract an inch or cm or whatever unit is being used.
I've done this to myself when working on projects. I never trust the end of a tape measure... to avoid it I usually start at 100mm so it's obvious if I forget. But I'm talented so I still manage to forget once in a while...

As a retired engineer, I can also say that when something gets screwed up it is rarely one person's fault... there are almost always multiple things that could have been done differently that would have avoided the situation.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Seen it, Done it. :huh:

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier

I have also been there and have been the one to cut off the anchor rods and drill the concrete and use driven anchors to set the post.
The anchors come as a single unit with a plate having 4 threaded rods welded to them. This is set, leveled and covered in concrete with some of the rod exposed over finished grade. When the wrong plate is ordered to match the base, then this is what you get. What you use may be different, but as I stated, I have cut a lot more off because of poor engineering then anything else.

Sponsor

Staff online