• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
1610749151898.jpeg

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have Tidal, $19.99/mo for the Master quality account. I can clearly tell the difference between Hi Fi and Master and I have high frequency hearing loss. Focusrite Thunderbolt interface into JBL 802's.
I also have something wrong with my hearing, and despite not being able to follow a conversation in a crowded bar, I can confirm that the regular streaming Amazon Prime Music through my Gateway Computer sounds like cats trying to claw their way up a blackboard. My mediocre antique Marrantz SR225 receiver and Klipsch Energy C-series (the old EMIs died :() speakers don't sound that bad with most sources (FM, CD player, cassette deck hooked up), but hooking up the sound from the standard rate Amazon Prime Music makes it sound even worse.
(edit: added some info on speakers)

Last edited:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Streaming audio and video are subject to fairly aggressive data compression. The dumbing down of sound quality. CD quality is much better, and even that is a compromise compared to full bandwidth audio. To me Tidal is worth the money, it's pretty much the same thing as Spotify, except better sound quality. Not likely there will be a video equivalent for a few years though.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Streaming audio and video are subject to fairly aggressive data compression. The dumbing down of sound quality. CD quality is much better, and even that is a compromise compared to full bandwidth audio. To me Tidal is worth the money, it's pretty much the same thing as Spotify, except better sound quality. Not likely there will be a video equivalent for a few years though.

After 3 months of Tidal I switched to Amazon Music HD. So far so good, with many more titles available in higher-res.

Sponsor

Staff online