• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Quick little weight transfers: what to work on?

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I just about bought one of these at the fitness store the day back from my trip... I stood on it and was concerned I would break my head (could wear a helmet inside I guess) Is there an easy version?! I bought a simpler little balance disk.

Have you actually used this and improved your balance and proprioception over the course of an offseason?

Yes, I have 2 Bongo Boards and I have made boards for my daughter and both of my grandsons. They get used often, but not regularly.

Bongo1.jpg

Bongo2.jpg

Bongo3.jpg

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just about bought one of these at the fitness store the day back from my trip... I stood on it and was concerned I would break my head (could wear a helmet inside I guess) Is there an easy version?! I bought a simpler little balance disk.

Have you actually used this and improved your balance and proprioception over the course of an offseason?
You could do squats on a Bosu ball.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
You can get quick feet if you ski enough days. I start to get this feeling after several days of skiing bumps in one season.

To pile on with everyone else, refined balance is required to make these quick moves with your feet. This is something you can train off snow. Find something that is fun for you to work on your balance when not skiing. There are things you can add to your gym routine, or modify things you are already doing at the gym to also challenge balance. You can also do other things that are more recreational and 'fun' like trail running or inline skating.

Even really low effort things like standing on one foot in the shower or while brushing your teeth can add up over time. Bonus is that if people think you are crazy doing these things, you will have fewer schedule conflicts for going skiing :cool:

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
Uhhhhhh, I'd try this on dry land - with nothing on either side of you to fall on.
Just a suggestion.
I had hoped to balance board in the shower eventually

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I had hoped to balance board in the shower eventually
You might want to up the challenge and put a bosu ball on your balance board in the shower. Then you'll be an expert skier. :ogbiggrin:

I've messed around with a balance/bongo board a bit, and I'd definitely suggest starting out someplace with some kind of handhold or something to steady yourself. Easy to fall if you're not a bit careful at first.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
If you flip the Bosu over & stand on the hard side on one foot, can you rock it side to side like you're changing edges?
You can, though I find it very easy compared to a less spongy / smaller balance disk or a bongo board. I have done some bosu training but I think not at a challenging enough level. I am happy to have one.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
If you flip the Bosu over & stand on the hard side on one foot, can you rock it side to side like you're changing edges?
a good way to start this is leave Bosu hard side down and step from side to top to side quickly keeping your head level.
Good for the quads too.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
You can, though I find it very easy compared to a less spongy / smaller balance disk or a bongo board. I have done some bosu training but I think not at a challenging enough level. I am happy to have one.

Ah, makes sense! I think if you feel confident with tipping edge to edge on a board, it might be worth practicing slaloming on skates? It's easier to do short quick slalom turns on skates anyways, and it'll give you the feeling of moving really quickly from edge to flat to the next edge. If you can do them two-footed, try it one footed or in a pistol squat for added evil.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

I have the Fitter First version - and it's pretty trivial stuff for a skater (read: I didn't see much specific improvement and was able to do flat spins and stuff within a day or so) - but herself did finally manage to get her *s*l*o*w* extra wide weight transfers nailed and was pretty chuffed about it.

The way to slow down the action is to use the thing on DEEP shag carpet (or remnant thereof).

Anyway. She still uses it a bit (on lino so it's a lot faster). I use it for pushups.

EDIT: There's a bunch of stuff that a bongo can do but a lot more it can't - it will never open up your hips, it will never give you massive abductor/adductor control, it will never stabilise your IT band. All these benefits, and a far higher level of actual muscle and cardio work, are reasons to look at skating again and work past initial issues into a 3+ days/week habit.

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, I descended into the morass of work for a week and change, I'm presently getting my head up and above water and ready for my final ski trip of the year in just a few days (YAY!)

One of the things I definitely cannot do is these super quick weight transfers/little turns. All of my turns are overcommitted (and as we'd discussed on another thread, I don't have much sense of neutral yet). I often struggle in irregular bumps or off piste because I simply can't do a couple of very quick turns in succession.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about with Jeff and Bob from Ski Essentials (the link is queued up to the correct timestamp).

More "what are the precursors to this that I should be working on, and what drills should I be focusing on?"

Will be drilling more sideslipping, falling leaves, and working up to pivot slips on the menu for me and learning to get cleanly released turns. For this in particular type of little course correction, anything obvious come to mind?
Consider adding spins, 90 stop spins and so on. All of these add edge feel and balance. The stops and restarts in spins really force to understand the motions involved. Once you (more or less) understand all of your skills will take a jump forward.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
My off piste success, such as it is, came from understanding this combination of skills:
  • Anticipation of where your CM needs to be in relation to the upcoming terrain. You may need to be fully engaged with tips down or you might need to be back a little to absorb a bump. If you're just getting the hang of it and noodling through the woods that neutral position can be quite tall. As your speed increases you will need to be more dynamic and more knee flexion is better.
  • Anticipation Part 2 - Train yourself to look down the hill, not the next turn. It's like trying to speak a language with just individual letters - very limiting. Letters become words, words become phrases, phrases become sentences etc. Keeping a flow is hugely important and for me the most enjoyable sensation in skiing.
  • Face the fall line - your feet and skis need to do all the work and you can't afford the time and effort to move your upper body from side to side.
  • A little hop and pivot (seen in Jeff and Bob's video) will release the tails and it can be done very quickly in succession. Real slippery powder is your friend here and requires much less hop. Unweighting is the same as hopping for this purpose.
  • If conditions are good, look for the easy trees. That's where you are more of less required to do all these things but the consequences are minimal if you fail (tree wells notwithstanding). It's a great way to have fun and learn your skills.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Regarding the Bongo Board, eliminate the wheel and replace with a stick of wood. Thicker the stick, greater the challenge.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tik Tok turns.

Sponsor