• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommendations for Slalom Shaped but Softer Flexing short-radiused ski for aspiring technical skier

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
I am looking for recommendations for a Slalom Shaped but Softer Flexing short-radiused ski to learn/improve my "technical skiing."

(I think that is what I want . . . But I am too experienced as a 24-season PSIA Level II ski instructor to know that I may not be experienced enough to know what I want or need.).

I am 202 lbs (91kg) aiming for 195 lbs (88kg) 5' 11" and I prefer my Lange L10 Race boots with more forward lean for this type of skiing over my current Lange RS 130 which have a more upright stance.

I am looking for something with a waist of 68mm or narrower in a 11m to 13m radius 165cm-170cm in length.

I will be coming from an older fully cambered Dynastar Contact in 172cm, 122-72-102 with dull edges.*

I am used to fully cambered slalom shaped skis. Rocker is counter-intuitive to me in a slalom shape where you want early engagement of the tip -- which rocker kinda defeats doesn't it? But again, I am open-minded if you have actual experience to share.

I need to be able to bend it on edge into a tight radius turn at a mere mortal skier / ski resort safe speeds but to generate sufficient centripetal force to allow me to incline my body fully against the outside ski for the technical skiing to which I aspire. Kinda like this (not a mere mortal):

If you are a technical skier or are an aspiring technical skier who has been down this road before me, your suggestions would be appreciated.

Help from @jimtransition @Mike King @geepers and from everybody else would be appreciated.

* I also have some 20 year old Salomon Equipe SL race skis in 155cm which I know are way too stiff for me to accomplish this goal. 20 years ago I came in hot locked into the tails and took out the ski school waiting fence. Luckily there were only two people there at the time. But they were my Supervisor and my Ski School Director. I don't know why they just didn't fire me then. But they just shook their heads and walked away and left me on my own to untangle my skis from the fencing and to rebuild the pen. Go figure.

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Tim Hodgson - Oz season 2019 I tested a bunch of frontside carving skis.

My short list came down to:
  • Volkl Racetiger SC
  • Head iRally
  • Dynastar SL MasterSpeed
I also really liked the Elan SLX 165. They were just so quick. But a heavy ski for a day in day out ride.

Basically all of those skis were nimble, fun to ski, flexed well (for me) and were nice to use in the bumps. The Volkl was kind of top of the list but CSIA did not provide a good pro deal on Volkl so I bought the Dynastar. Only two sheets of Titanal so not a hugely heavy ski and it handles wide radius well for a supposed 14m ski. That's the ski I now use all the time. At 67 underfoot it's a blast on the groomers, good for the bumps and lightweight pow. Can be less than optimal in wet heavy pow.

The other skis I tested were:
  • Volkl Deacon 74
  • Head iSpeed
  • Dynastar SpeedZone 12
  • Kastle MX 74
  • Stockli AX
Plus some other instantly forgettable skis I couldn't wait to hand back.

I mention the second list as you are around 40-45lbs heavier (same height) and some of them may be worth a try. I found them those to not flex as well for me as the top list skis.

The Stockli AX should probably go in the forgettable group. Such a disappointment. :duck::popcorn:

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lots of good options already, really most consumer SL skis fit the bill and would be great. If it's pure piste performance you want, stay away from (relatively) fatter or rockered skis like Deacons.

I would recommend trying a modern FIS SL as well, it's not going to be forgiving for moguls, but you can't beat it for response on hard snow. See if any reps in your school have a pair to demo.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Blossom Numero Uno N*1 SC We have the N*1 Lady here which is the same ski, a nice soft flexing SL.
Hmmm. I asked about that. Blossom guy said no. Lady has (thinner) metal. SC has none. It's in one of the other Blossom threads.

Since the OP weighs 200, might not matter much anyway. Why not just a short-ish RC?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be coming from an older fully cambered Dynastar Contact in 172cm, 122-72-102 with dull edges.*
So what's the plan for keeping the edges sharp on the new SLs?

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
You are right. N1 Lady also has a different shape 123-67-104 (except the 145 cm length). This shape is more slalom than the shape of the N1 RC/SC, which is 121-71-106.

But I agree with you based on the height and weight of OP, N1 RC would be a better choice than N1 Lady.

I think another great but slightly more expensive option is the Stockli Laser SC. It fits the requirements of OP perfectly.

Hmmm. I asked about that. Blossom guy said no. Lady has (thinner) metal. SC has none. It's in one of the other Blossom threads.

Since the OP weighs 200, might not matter much anyway. Why not just a short-ish RC?

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
I do not know if you have budget limitations but the Stockli Laser SL will put a smile on your face every single turn. Powerful if you want but easy to ski as well.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I do not know if you have budget limitations but the Stöckli Laser SL will put a smile on your face every single turn. Powerful if you want but easy to ski as well.
I'm really having trouble understanding how a 200 lb skier can find any SL radius carving ski too stiff to easily bend. (tip ski allow weight to press down on the ski - no problem). Are you only skiing champagne powder?

That being said, the Stockli Lazer SC would be my choice for an easier-to-bend Stockli Lazer SL.

Also, if you learned to carve tip-to-tail, you might like the Fischer (SC or Curve) models and the Stockli SL/SC better than a lot of other models, most of which incorporate tip rocker to make them more forgiving. The other models work fine if you already know what's going to happen when you get them fully tipped on edge; it's just the initiation that's a bit of a jump.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm really having trouble understanding how a 200 lb skier can find any SL radius carving ski too stiff to easily bend. (tip ski allow weight to press down on the ski - no problem). Are you only skiing champagne powder?

He wants to be able to modulate turn entry/exit on surfaces with limited grip and at speeds that aren't full-on gate charging. IOW, he wants to be delicate/finessed about it instead of banging the ski out to full flex at full body lurch. Otherwise, you know, just get one of those full-length plated Carpanis.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I will second the Head Rally, and I am about the same size as you. 6' 1" 195 lbs, the length I use is the 170CM it is such a fun ski. At the 170CM it is 76MM under foot. If you want something a little wider the Head Titan is 80 - 81 under foot. I have also skied the Titan but at my advanced age 73 it is a lot of ski for me. After about 3 - 4 hours I have to go back to the Rally. If you are a younger guy it should also be a good choice, again it was a 170CM I was skiing.

James

Out There
Instructor
Just to introduce some reality, this is a very soft ski for a 200lb guy. Likely softer than most rec skis, but torsionally stiffer. If you were going to race, this would be too soft. Now, how one finds these things in soft flexes is another matter. I just happened to be in the store in April. The racer who ordered it never even got on it.

It’s actually an FIS slalom. I’d just change the tune from a 0.3base/4 side to like a 0.7-1base 3 side. I tried to sell it briefly here, but no takers. I’ve decided to keep it, and put bindings on it.
0E46273C-B9C0-4B9A-9617-EA7DC8294E55.jpeg

E359694B-0740-4BCD-9784-06671CEDDF7B.jpeg

I’d second the Stockli Lazer SC, a Blossom or an Augment.
Honestly, I’d recommend a Head FIS sl over that enormous bloated Hammerhead tip of the current Rally. That’s a L2 ski frankly. That original Rally was a good ski, but at 200lb, it’s a bit overpowered. It actually takes more finesse at speed to make it work than something stoughter.

Some tip shapes. 1st gen Rally, two fiffetent years, with a proper tip. I hate that square plow Rossi tip also. With a tip like the others and it’s 70mm waist width, it would be a much better all mountain ski in the Euro tradition.
F106A216-4FCA-4982-A73E-C54A88FE7D24.jpeg

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I haven't been on some of these, but more options:

Blizzard Firebird SRC (165cm, 12.5m, 121-68-105)
Stockli Laser CX (163cm, 12.8m, 122-68-100)
Fischer RC4 Curv Ti (164cm, 13.0m, 121-68-102)
Elan SLX Fusion (165cm, 12.8m, 121-68-104)
Nordica Dobermann SLR RB (165cm, 13.0m, 120-69-104)

TS
T

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
He wants to be able to modulate turn entry/exit on surfaces with limited grip and at speeds that aren't full-on gate charging. IOW, he wants to be delicate/finessed about it instead of banging the ski out to full flex at full body lurch.

Thank you cantunamunch !

François Pugh while it is true that I can bend my Salomon Equip FIS race skis at full lateral extension, I cannot at an 11 o'clock turn initiation.

Gellie describes what I already do and what I want to perfect with the word "push" in his "How to Create Early Pressure Webinar" (when you open it, it is also entitled "Early pressure in your carved turns - Aug 2020."

It refers to the 11-10 o'clock initiation of a carved turn where the torso topples downhill, the old inside ski becomes the new outside ski and skier "pushes" on the tip of that ski to create early pressure and bend in that ski. He describes the skier's feeling as hanging upside down. I don't want to overstate my ability, but I do that now.

For me it requires my old forward leaning Lange L10 Race boots, and a shaped slalom ski with a softer shovel (Dynastar Contact) and I do it at slower speeds on steeper terrain.

I am looking for a ski to help me perfect that turn entry move.

I think tip rocker would actually inhibit or delay the tip catch required by that movement but, again, I am open minded.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online