• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel there was a long thread on Epic about this, complete with photos from the electron microscope.

Found it. Seventy-two pages! Possible reading material for Tuesday/Wednesday's cold blast.

Refuted by Toko Brand Manager (also not short -- more cold weather reading):

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Noob question … what is base burn and what does it look like?

Micro-scale tearout and rips of the base material from frictional contact.

Don't think of it as temperature -type burning; think of it as what happens to skin in a case of rug burn.

"Burned" areas on the base appear a milky-cloudy white or paler than the normal base. An application of wax makes that appearance disappear - until the wax is worn off.

Anyway, as I mentioned in my earlier post, there is no indication or empirical showing that Phantom protects against base burn. The two things it could still do are - increase water repellency and increase dry slipperiness.

Found it. Seventy-two pages! Possible reading material for Tuesday/Wednesday's cold blast.

Refuted by Toko Brand Manager (also not short -- more cold weather reading):

Ah, yes, the Kuzmin paper. Not the SEM shots I remember tho.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah, yes, the Kuzmin paper. Not the SEM shots I remember tho.

A minute or two ago. The SEM shots could very well have been from somewhere else.

I found these, of an unwaxed base:

C0109559-Ski_base,_SEM.jpg

At this level of magnification, you've got to wonder how we glide at all, and why skins are needed to go uphill. :ogbiggrin:

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have it on 4 pairs of skis. 3 have two part Phantom and one has the 1 part. I’ve had no issues. The first application I had done at Jackson Hole. The remainder I have done myself. The Texas sun works well. Being that I don’t ski Michigan ice any longer the bases have held up very well. The most used pair had some minimal base burn (clouding) after a few seasons (2 short COVID seasons included). Had some low tide Taos etching in the bases so I had LeSki Mastery do a minimal clean up base grind and a tune. They look like new. I have waxed over Phantom, especially when it’s exceptionally cold. A good cold weather wax eliminates a lot of the “sticky”. Overall I am very pleased with Phantom. It has greatly reduced my bench time. @ChunderBlunder runs wax on his skis and on a freshly waxed set of boards he will have a slight performance advantage on the flats for the better part of one day. After that my performance is better and better than his as his wax deteriorates.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@ChunderBlunder runs wax on his skis and on a freshly waxed set of boards he will have a slight performance advantage on the flats for the better part of one day. After that my performance is better and better than his as his wax deteriorates.

This appeals to me greatly for soft snow skis. I'd love to only worry about waxing hardpack boards, and just know the two wider pair were pretty much good to go when Ullr favors us.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I chased down some of the stuff related to GigaGlide (the Euro product @dovski references above). The two products are similarly marketed but I do NOT think test data for one has any relevance to the performance of the other.

Of course none of this relates to penetration. Except things get very weird when you start looking at the contact angle durability measurement.

Notice that the plain base keeps a fairly constant contact angle before and after the snow wear.

Notice that the paraffin-wax treated base improves beyond what the plain base can achieve after 6 miles of on-snow wear.

Notice that GigaGlide starts off being superb but gets about as bad (worse on the methylene iodide test) as the plain base after 6 miles.

It is tempting to assume that any of this relates to penetration - or lack thereof. I do NOT. For my own part, I strongly suspect there is some sort of polishing effect that explains the improvement in paraffin water rejection.

Does any of this relate to Phantom? Not really - except to maybe notice that maybe properly brushing the wax one puts over Phantom improves pretty much everything?

Last edited:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
That's not what DPS is saying.

View attachment 160016
What I am saying is that I applied DPS Phantom 1.0 to my skis and it worked ok, better with a course structure. After getting a very bad tune on vacation my ski has to be fattened and they ran it through the their Winterstager about 4 or 5 times. After that my ski no longer experienced the benefits of DPS Phantom. Now perhaps my cure was not as good as what you get in shop these days and the Phantom did not fully penetrate the base. The other possibility is that if you grind your skis too many times the Phantom is less effective. Personally I believe it is the later case as all my other cures worked.

dovski

Skier
What I am saying is that I applied DPS Phantom 1.0 to my skis and it worked ok, better with a course structure. After getting a very bad tune on vacation my ski has to be fattened and they ran it through the their Winterstager about 4 or 5 times. After that my ski no longer experienced the benefits of DPS Phantom. Now perhaps my cure was not as good as what you get in shop these days and the Phantom did not fully penetrate the base. The other possibility is that if you grind your skis too many times the Phantom is less effective. Personally I believe it is the later case as all my other cures worked.
ok lots of typos above, but that is what I get for responding to a post while riding a chairlift lol. Machine that tuned my old skis was a Wintersteiger over at World Cup Ski Shop in Bellevue, WA. Tune = Base grind. These guys were great as they went the extra mile to ensure I had a flat ski. Will not name the shop that did the lousy tune but they are in the Sun Peaks resort area and they rushed things and the ski was not flat when they finished.

All three of my kids compete in Freeride. That means ski gnarly terrain off piste pretty much all the time. Joined my eldest daughters group for a couple laps on Shot Six at Alpental yesterday and watched my girl not just hit, but pop off every boulder, drop and small cliff she possibly could yesterday, while some of the others in her group purposely avoided the larger features and rolled the smaller ones. Half way up the lift for our third run, I get call from my middle child and she says dad I just wrecked my skis ... seems she was skiing down Adrenaline and hit some rocks (she did not see them) hard did a somersault and somehow recovered after which her skis were not skiing properly. When she got to the lodge she saw a big chunk of the base hanging loose and exposed metal. Skis were not broken, but she did get core shot and also broke off a chunk of the mountain which was lodges in the base.

My point to the above story is that the way my family skis, we are regulars at our local ski shop for tuning. Two weeks ago my oldest cracked the core and blew out the sidewall of her Mindbinders on a drop. This week my other child got a core shot ... simply put with our style of skiing it is not unheard of to get a ski tuned several times in one season. For that reason I have moved away from Phantom and other permanent glide treatments as I do not believe it holds up well to multiple base grinds. Also the biggest challenge for us honestly is warm temps with sticky snow and for that your really need a warm weather wax to ensure optimum glide especially in variable warm weather conditions. Having a faster glide time in the flats is not really a concern for us.

So long story short I think Phantom is a good product. It works and will be more than enough for most skiers, especially those who do not wax. It is also good for those who do wax as it can cut down on bench time and lower your frequency of waxing, but to be clear it is not in my mind a replacement for waxing. In fact if you really care about performance with or without Phantom you will want to use temperature specific wax ... and the new liquid waxes make this a breeze. Phantom will also not prevent your bases from drying out and turning grey ... you want to wax to prevent that. If you ski rough terrain and damage your bases, that will require repairs and tuning which over time will limit the effectiveness of phantom. Long story short is that once you have your on waxing setup at home you can wax a lot of skis for the cost of one phantom application so you have to decide if Phantom is worth the investment or not.

My local Swix rep is not a fan of Phantom and debated it with me once. I am sure you have all seen the Swix propaganda against permanent glide solutions. What was interesting is that he said you could spray your skis with RainX and get similar results to Phantom ... I may actually try this on an old pair of skis just for kicks, but for the time being I am going to stick waxing, alternating between traditional hot wax and liquid wax as that seems to work best for us.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good summary of phantom. I use it on my large quiver to reduce waxing to a minimum. When really cold or really warm I use wax. In between I don't bother. I only grind my skis every few years. It's not a be all solution, it's kind of a long lasting alternative to an all temp wax.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Since I don’t live local to a ski resort at this time I don’t have a full time bench setup. When @ChunderBlunder was a patroller and I a season pass holder at our local hill (which had night skiing) we were constantly waxing our skis. Now we travel to ski 100% and 100 days a year is now down to 15-30 days a season. Just having returned from a week at Taos and getting ready to leave for Aspen we will go through our quivers and clean up edges, wax, etc.. I prefer not to have to work on my skis while on vacation unless they get damaged. Often if that happens I’ll drop them at a local shop. I much prefer to spend my trip time skiing, eating, drinking, at the pool, live music etc etc. Having the Phantom on the skis eliminates all the “glide” maintenance. $100 to have that freedom and still have good performance is a no brainer for me.

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Since I don’t live local to a ski resort at this time I don’t have a full time bench setup. When @ChunderBlunder was a patroller and I a season pass holder at our local hill (which had night skiing) we were constantly waxing our skis. Now we travel to ski 100% and 100 days a year is now down to 15-30 days a season. Just having returned from a week at Taos and getting ready to leave for Aspen we will go through our quivers and clean up edges, wax, etc.. I prefer not to have to work on my skis while on vacation unless they get damaged. Often if that happens I’ll drop them at a local shop. I much prefer to spend my trip time skiing, eating, drinking, at the pool, live music etc etc. Having the Phantom on the skis eliminates all the “glide” maintenance. $100 to have that freedom and still have good performance is a no brainer for me.
$100 for the set up? Ski essentials is charging $200 which with the cost of a new set of skis makes me less likely to add that onto the final tag :huh: despite the killer deal they are offering.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
$100 for the set up? Ski essentials is charging $200 which with the cost of a new set of skis makes me less likely to add that onto the final tag :huh: despite the killer deal they are offering.
When I had the DPS treatment done in Canada in Dec. 2020 it was $120CAD + 12% tax for the DIY kit or what I did which was pay an on mountain ski shop to do it for $179CAD + 12%tax.

mogulman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I got Phantom on my Fischer RC ONE GT 86 skis that I bought a month or so ago. I had high expectations. I don't find it to work well at all. In fact, it seems almost worse than no wax. I could see areas of dry base after skiing them 3-4 times. Definitely not getting again. Skis totally feel sluggish. Waxed them last week and they feel much better. $150 gimmick for me.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I got Phantom on my Fischer RC ONE GT 86 skis that I bought a month or so ago. I had high expectations. I don't find it to work well at all. In fact, it seems almost worse than no wax. I could see areas of dry base after skiing them 3-4 times. Definitely not getting again. Skis totally feel sluggish. Waxed them last week and they feel much better. $150 gimmick for me.
Assuming you have a shop do the Phantom, and based on everyone else's reports on here, I'd be tempted to go back to them and ask if they screwed it up. (Or if you did it yourself, did you screw it up? Seems like "worse than no wax" is a real outlier result.)

mogulman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Assuming you have a shop do the Phantom, and based on everyone else's reports on here, I'd be tempted to go back to them and ask if they screwed it up. (Or if you did it yourself, did you screw it up? Seems like "worse than no wax" is a real outlier result.)
Got it done from LevelNine when I bought them online. Is there any way to test whether it was really done, other than having a Phantom sticker on the skis? I emailed Level Nine to see if there is anything they can do. If nothing, then yeah.. I'm sticking by my comments. Maybe they did it wrong, but I'm not willing to spend $150 again unless there is some way of proving that it was applied.

Last edited:

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
LevelNine also applied Phantom to skis I purchased from them last year. Glide has been fine, similar to other skis in my quiver which had Phantom applied by various other retailers.

dovski

Skier
Got it done from LevelNine when I bought them online. Is there any way to test whether it was really done, other than having a Phantom sticker on the skis? I emailed Level Nine to see if there is anything they can do. If nothing, then yeah.. I'm sticking by my comments. Maybe they did it wrong, but I'm not willing to spend $150 again unless there is some way of proving that it was applied.
So the first time I tried Phantom 4 years back it did not cure properly and did not work. I contacted DPS and they sent me a replacement pack so I could do a second treatment. It may be worth reaching out to DPS as well as Level Nine. If the Phantom was not applied or cured properly it will not work. Now that said it will not prevent your bases from drying out, in fact they will dry out with Phantom and you will need to grind them periodically. I also found that while Phantom worked it did not work as well as temperature specific wax and it also did not work well in extreme conditions. As a result I no longer use Phantom and just wax my skis regularly.

Sponsor

Staff online