• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rewrite the Skier's Responsibility Code

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize this was my homework assignment for the Summer!
OK here goes.

YOUR RESPONSIBILITY CODE:​

1. Always stay in control. You must be able to stop or avoid other people below or at the same elevation as you (less confusing) and are responsible for damage to objects you collide with (go ahead and crash into that tree, but it's on your).
  2. People downhill of you (forgetabout ahead. This creates more grey area, but it's a lot simpler) have the right-of-way. You must avoid them (simpler and less confusing this way).
  3. Stop only where you are visible from above and do not restrict traffic. (if it ain't broke...)
  4. Look uphill and avoid others before starting downhill or entering a trail.(Ditto)
  5. You are responsible to prevent runaway equipment. (Ditto)
  6. Scratch this one - Reading all the signs everywhere ? Ain't nobody got time for that. That's just the Man laying down the law and trying to make the population compliant. Big Brother's taking over!
  7. Ski closed trails and out of closed areas AT YOUR OWN RISK. RESORT AND SKI PATROL NOT RESPONSIBLE. CALL THE TUNE; PAY THE PIPER.
  8. You must know how and be able to load, ride, and unload lifts safely. If you need assistance, ask the lift attendant. (makes perfect sense as is)
  9. Scratch rule 9; where's the fun in that!
  10. If you are involved in a collision or incident, share your contact information with each other and a ski area employee. Well that's just making law enforcement's job easier, but OK.
CAVEAT for entertainment purposes only! Not to be misconstrued as legal advice or opinion.

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
I propose a 20K deductible tied into a person's lift ticket/season pass. It should calm the amateur downhill race tuck bs real fast. Every ski area. National law. I don't care if it prices out people.

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
I encountered a snowboarder on 12_24 who badly needed education regarding the code. He swooped onto my tails on a catwalk and fell, but I remained upright. I reported him to the lifties working #4, and he admitted hitting me from behind, but repeatedly asserted that he was screaming at me to "get out of the way." I heard no such screaming, only the swoosh, and impact of snowboard on skis. The lifties backed me 100%, and at least tried to set him straight.

He had more than 20' of clear space to pass on the left, but tried pass on the right, between me and a wall of snow and dirt, and it is my opinion that the guy was seriously out of control. He honesty appeared to believe that he was in the right, and screamed profanities at me. At least no one was injured.

Sponsor