• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rewrite the Skier's Responsibility Code

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
If I yell "on your right or left", 50% of the time I get it wrong. I especially get it wrong if it is yelled at me. So I prefer to just yell loudly if I am not sure what they should do. I like "I'm here" - that seems to work. Or "coming through". At the edge of the trail when I ski near the woods beind stopped skiers I yell "don't move"! To summarize, I like to yell. But on a runout or a narrow slow trail, I just say on your right/left.

I don't want to get hit by another skier, nor do I want to hurt someone. So I am loud when necessary.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Ski patroller friend is pushing the 15' rule. She tells skiers to stay at least 15' from each other. I call it the friend zone - If I don't know your name you better not be skiing this close to me.

It's a good principle on a wide open slope but more difficult as traffic gets denser and near impossible on a busy cattrack when passes have to be within 6 feet. (and for those who say hang back and don't pass the counterpoint is "and put yourself at the mercy of the first clown coming in too hot?")

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
If I yell "on your right or left", 50% of the time I get it wrong. I especially get it wrong if it is yelled at me. So I prefer to just yell loudly if I am not sure what they should do. I like "I'm here" - that seems to work. Or "coming through". At the edge of the trail when I ski near the woods beind stopped skiers I yell "don't move"! To summarize, I like to yell. But on a runout or a narrow slow trail, I just say on your right/left.

I don't want to get hit by another skier, nor do I want to hurt someone. So I am loud when necessary.
Same as MTB. I yell trail left but either I or they don't get it right. I'm just more patient now and wait.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I tend to go by: Leave enough time to think about which side I'm passing on and make sure it's the correct direction...i.e. think before you speak. AND if I yell it out and the person reacts the wrong way, I need enough time to yell "your other left/right". If there's not enough time for this short interaction...I'm traveling too fast or close to pass safely.

Mister Tea

The skier formerly known as Walt
Skier
Just one addition:

8. Powder is dangerous. Do not try to ski powder! Leave it to the pros. If it is a powder day, stay in the lodge until the "all clear" has sounded. The usual "all clear" signal is skiers returning to the lodge saying "well, it's all tracked out now" or "nothing but crud left." At that point, it is safe to go out, but do not under any circumstances ski a line that is untracked. Who knows what lies below? Just stay in the lodge.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Best to let the Ski Patrol pack it down until it is safe. Best to realize that the run open sign means go to a different run?:)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Guessing correctly or not.. shouting commands at others out there isn't the best way to pass people. Some folks especially inexperienced folks just freak out and fall or crash in to others around them if you're yelling at them, clicking poles etc... passing by close enough to feel the need to shout at people out there..

I prefer to cruise by carrying enough speed and especially with enough distance that no matter which way they cut odds of a collision are extremely low. If you don't have enough room and speed to be past them before they even know you are there and to avoid any TOTALLY UNEXPECCTED move on their part you should just suck it up and wait for a better passing opportunity... even it it means having to push and skate to get past a catwalk or whatever..

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just one addition:

8. Powder is dangerous. Do not try to ski powder! Leave it to the pros. If it is a powder day, stay in the lodge until the "all clear" has sounded. The usual "all clear" signal is skiers returning to the lodge saying "well, it's all tracked out now" or "nothing but crud left." At that point, it is safe to go out, but do not under any circumstances ski a line that is untracked. Who knows what lies below? Just stay in the lodge.

No Friends on a Powder day! On powder days It's so quiet in our booting up room at my home bump can hear a pin drop.. like we all aren't trying to be first in line. lol

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
As for the original assignment I still say all that is needed is "STAY OUT OV ZEE MEEDLE!!!!!!"

1657292629488.png

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMO the code is fine , Its the skiers/riders that feel the need to do what they want when they want that runs them into finding nuances in code to explain their poor judgment. we all need to survey the immediate situation and act accordingly.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
BUMP

The Durango project has drawn my attention to the fact it has been possibly rewritten with zero fanfare and publicity but is now longer and possibly less clear.

Anyone got the definitive truth on what "Your Responsibility Code" actually is. NSP seem to think it has 7 points with no mention of downhill skier, Whitefish (first resort that came up on code google) have 10 with
  • People ahead or downhill of you have the right-of-way. You must avoid them.
Colorado SKi COuntry seem on the fence with telling us there are 7 points and then listing 10 which seem the same as Whitefish's

?????????? WTF???????????

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There was a slight modification. There are 10 points

YOUR RESPONSIBILITY CODE:​

1. Always stay in control. You must be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
  2. People ahead or downhill of you have the right-of-way. You must avoid them.
  3. Stop only where you are visible from above and do not restrict traffic.
  4. Look uphill and avoid others before starting downhill or entering a trail.
  5. You are responsible to prevent runaway equipment.
  6. Read and obey all signs, warnings, and hazard markings.
  7. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
  8. You must know how and be able to load, ride, and unload lifts safely. If you need assistance, ask the lift attendant.
  9. Do not use lifts or terrain when impaired by alcohol or drugs.
  10. If you are involved in a collision or incident, share your contact information with each other and a ski area employee.
  • It is forbidden to ski or enter any trail or area that has been closed by a rope or is marked with a “CLOSED” sign. Violator’s pass may be revoked for the season. It is a class 2 petty offense punishable by a max fine of up to $1,000, as is any violation of the Colorado Skier Safety Act.
  • The one USFS backcountry access gate on the mountain is listed on our trail map. NEVER go under a closure or boundary rope.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Is that the same as written in Colorado law now? Or something different again - I'm assuming you've posted Copper's version by the reference to the Colorado Skier Safety Act.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
The NSAA (National Ski Areas Association) owns and publishes the "Your Responsibility Code". Their website explains the recent (2022) language changes and the shift from 7 points to 10 points.

Here's the website: https://www.nsaa.org/NSAA/Safety/Re...spx?hkey=341ee8dd-2dba-4255-b689-6105e62352d7

And here's the text explaining the changes:

Why a new Code?​

NSAA first developed the Skier Responsibility Code in 1962. In the last 60 years, the Code has undergone several revisions to stay in step with modern language and skiing behavior (and to include snowboarders, bikers and everyone who enjoys the slopes!). The 2022 version of Your Responsibility Code has grown from seven points to 10. The pre-existing seven points were revised, sometimes minimally, to modernize the language. One previous point was split into two. Two new points were added: one, to emphasize the importance of not skiing or riding under the influence of alcohol/drugs; another to let skiers and riders know what to do when you get into a collision or other on-mountain incident.

This season, ski areas across the country will begin to adopt this language. However, it takes some time to make new signage and get everyone on the same page! You can expect to see this 2022 Code used more widely over the next three seasons. In the meantime, take a moment to read this Code; talk with your kids or friends who are new to the slopes; and remember that staying in control is the best way to stay safe on the slopes.

YRC-2022.png

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The NSAA (National Ski Areas Association) owns and publishes the "Your Responsibility Code". Their website explains the recent (2022) language changes and the shift from 7 points to 10 points.

Here's the website: https://www.nsaa.org/NSAA/Safety/Re...spx?hkey=341ee8dd-2dba-4255-b689-6105e62352d7

And here's the text explaining the changes:

Why a new Code?​

NSAA first developed the Skier Responsibility Code in 1962. In the last 60 years, the Code has undergone several revisions to stay in step with modern language and skiing behavior (and to include snowboarders, bikers and everyone who enjoys the slopes!). The 2022 version of Your Responsibility Code has grown from seven points to 10. The pre-existing seven points were revised, sometimes minimally, to modernize the language. One previous point was split into two. Two new points were added: one, to emphasize the importance of not skiing or riding under the influence of alcohol/drugs; another to let skiers and riders know what to do when you get into a collision or other on-mountain incident.

This season, ski areas across the country will begin to adopt this language. However, it takes some time to make new signage and get everyone on the same page! You can expect to see this 2022 Code used more widely over the next three seasons. In the meantime, take a moment to read this Code; talk with your kids or friends who are new to the slopes; and remember that staying in control is the best way to stay safe on the slopes.

View attachment 183168
Yeah, but the dude was still in my line!

Sponsor

Staff online