• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road bike shorts

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
My bike short collection (mostly Pearlizumi) needs replacing.

A few years ago, I won a Pearizumi kit from Wheat Ridge bikes. Bob Roll was giving out the prizes. He is a riot. Any way, I love the shorts. I assume they are a higher end short.

I ride frequently and love 50 plus mile rides.

Best shorts recommendation? I do not care about price -my a&$ is worth it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don't dare recommend shorts to anyone else. When price isn't a factor, Assos is usually first named; I don't have any of those.

If I was replacing 5-8-10 pairs of PI at once, I'd probably order a mix of Pactimo, Suarez and Castelli, with a nod to Santini for deep winter duty.

I was using NeoPro cheapos for that railroad section yesterday. Good thing too, they're impregnated with black creosote muck.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Keep in mind that all "brands" contract to a very small number of cut & sew operations to make their kits. So while there are a butt-load of "brands", the differences between them can be very, very small. In most cases, unless you turn a lot of units (any major brand) the chamois will be one of the factory's stock kits, as opening molds is not inexpensive. The nature of the gossamer fabric dictates that sewers be very skilled, which limits the talent pool, and therefore the number of factories that can produce these goods.

In our home town, we have a local brand that everyone is gaga about. Nothing special about it., If anything, it is grossly overpriced. It is made at a middle of the road cut & sew operation, from very stock materials. I don't get the attraction. Niothing remotely unique about it.

That being said, fit will be your driver. I weigh 160 - 170, depending on how much time I spend in the weight room, and am about 5'10". When I am at my heaviest, Panache, out of Boulder, is my go-to kit. Don, the owner, was a principle at Pearl. When I am slimmer, CASP or Cyclist Chaise out of the UK are my go-tos. They have really great patterns that will make your kit very unique.

I suck at cycling (unless the event has a lot of short, punchy climbs), so the best that I can hope for is the Best Dressed Rider in Durango. It is the only award that I will ever win, and I am going for it. Check out Cycling Fashion Victim group on FB for a lot of great kits, and biting humor about them.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm with @cantunamunch in not recommending clothing for others. That said, of all the short/bibs brands I've ever worn, Assos comes out on top in terms of comfort and durability.
Plus, Assos wins the prize for the most obtuse product naming. A fair number of their shorts and other cycling gear can be found on the Competitive Cyclist site, among others. Every once in a while, you can find them at brick and mortar stores in the Denver area.

TS
Nancy Hummel

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I just bought a pair of Assos. Will try them and see. I appreciate all of the suggestions.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Any way, I love the shorts.

1. Keep it simple and go with what you know?

2. Bontrager (possibly amongst others?) offers a 30-day no questions return policy. Mine fit and last great, both bib and non-bib.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Polled my female riding companions for their $0.02. Note that most of them wear bib shorts exclusively.

Their top brands for fit and function:

1. Velocio (easiest for taking bio breaks without completely disrobing)
2. MAAP
3. Pearl Izumi
4. Rapha
5. The Black Bibs

Also had some positive remarks about Castelli, Assos, NeoPro, and Cutaway.

Note that Velocio was head-and-tails their favorite. Note also that Velocio is the most pricey of the bunch.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dunno. Maybe German/Swiss, French/Swiss, or Italian/Swiss don't translate well into English marketing language.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Dunno. Maybe German/Swiss, French/Swiss, or Italian/Swiss don't translate well into English marketing language.

*grin* Remember when Stockli made skis with a harlequin pattern and English speakers were confused about argyle?

They have names like "BonkaJacketLaalalai". No joke. I did not make that up.

Maybe it needs more of a yodeling voice?

Last edited:
TS
Nancy Hummel

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Polled my female riding companions for their $0.02. Note that most of them wear bib shorts exclusively.

Their top brands for fit and function:

1. Velocio (easiest for taking bio breaks without completely disrobing)
2. MAAP
3. Pearl Izumi
4. Rapha
5. The Black Bibs

Also had some positive remarks about Castelli, Assos, NeoPro, and Cutaway.

Note that Velocio was head-and-tails their favorite. Note also that Velocio is the most pricey of the bunch.

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to do this.

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
This reminds me of a photo..... here ya go!
Why Bicycle Shorts are Black.png

On a recent group ride, one of my so-called "friends" (also a bike mech at a nearby shop) kindly pointed out that the old comfy pair of PI's I was wearing was more-than -ready to be retired to the landfill, lest they mistakenly be worn in public again.

TO answer the OP, it gets complicated, and I really oughta listen to Doc, above. Most of mine are Pearl Izumi, but they make several price/quality levels, Performance, Elite, and Select. I don't know which is which, or is better for the price-- good thing they last a while. My newest pair is nice and lightweight for hot days, with good padding, "Endura" a U.K. brand carried by my LBS. I was warned they run small, the Enduras Large fit similar to P.I. mediums.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Most of mine are Pearl Izumi, but they make several price/quality levels, Performance, Elite, and Select. I don't know which is which, or is better for the price-- good thing they last a while.

Partly due to this thread, I went through my boxes and dug out a pair of old blue-pad iP Selects. Yeh, my memory was rosier than the actuality - most of my new shorts are better than that.

My newest pair is nice and lightweight for hot days, with good padding, "Endura" a U.K. brand carried by my LBS. I was warned they run small, the Enduras Large fit similar to P.I. mediums.

Endura do nice shorts - and also do really nice MTB suits. :thumb:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

A few years ago, I won a Pearizumi kit from Wheat Ridge bikes. Bob Roll was giving out the prizes. He is a riot. Any way, I love the shorts. I assume they are a higher end short.

I ride frequently and love 50 plus mile rides.

Best shorts recommendation? I do not care about price -my a&$ is worth it.

Just like ski boots its all about fit and preference. Lots of brands make great stuff but fit and sizing vary even with similar products.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I recently found these and like the wider waist band that doesn't roll or dig into the waist.

This thread has a lot of information. ....as well as some gibberish ;)

Last edited:

Sponsor