• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess the wheels are only useful in the airport, once you hit snow they become useless i assume
The big wheels on ski bags and some luggage work fine on the sort of packed snow you find in parking lots and sidewalks.
The upright-4-wheel style you find on most newer suitcases are worse than useless in snow.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

black is still available.
Thanks for posting. I just ordered one in orange. It sticks out more when the ski bags are being unloaded at baggage claim.

Djarv Midnight Sun

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The amount of crap, er stuff, we bring on a week long ski trip is best described as a crapload. So 2 of us, 2 big rolling suitcases about 45lbs each. My boots, helmet goggles gloves shell in a roll on bag, my backpack with laptop, ipad, physical book, etc.. chargers, water bottle, snacks, etc. Robin carries her Transpack with boots helmet gloves, laptop, etc.. So we are pretty loaded down before we even get to the ski bag. We have a Dakine double roller bag that at 10 is getting a little worn at the ends but works fine. In that goes 2 pairs of skis, poles, some extra gloves, goggles, buffs, chemical toe and hand warmers. 90% of the people who fly with double ski bags seem to have the same model so we have some orange handle wraps for easier identification.

Above is when we fly - you wouldn't believe how much we can fit in a Toyota Highlander for a trip to VT!:cool:

James

Out There
Instructor
Hmm,

yes they do, you reckon that is a better option?
I like the idea of just having one bag to drag around which has everyting in it as opposed to 2 separate ones (which then may not have wheels)
although I guess the wheels are only useful in the airport, once you hit snow they become useless i assume

too many options ...
I'm starting to resemble my girlfriend who I always make fun of when she can't make a choice ...

I should just order a bag and be done with it, it's "just" a bag I guess
At some point you go for something, take the consequences and learn what you can deal with. There really is no straightforward answer.

I have the Sync double roller bag. It’s one of those rectangular style bags. It’s heavy. When loaded up, it’s also heavy on the handle end. Last May in Denver at near max weight, I was thrilled to get a trolley to put everything on.

I used to use a plain sift cylinder somewhat padded bag where I managed to fit two pair in, plus clothes, gloves, etc for padding. had handles and a shoulder strap. The length limit couldn't fit a 190 though.

In many ways I miss the light, soft cylinder style non roller bag. Not sure I agree about the wheels being easier. Maybe.
The guy I envied on the train had a very light one pair bag with just one pair in it.

I have done a 2km road slog to the train station in Chamonix with prob a 30lb backpack w/boots, a large 2wheel suitcase, and the wheeled 2pair ski bag. Not sure I could’ve pulled that off with the unwheeld 2 pair bag. Would’ve been hand carry.

I do agree the four wheel vertical wheels are useless outside of smooth floors.

** The easy solution is to get a two pair wheeled bag if you need two pair. You have to pay attention to length if you have long skis.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yeah you get my sherpa/ski donkey award of the week ;)

Oh don't you guys call donkeys something else? ;)

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Anybody used the Patagonia Black Hole ruling ski bag? Looks pretty great. Not cheap, but I am still using a Black Hole duffel purchased in 1985 so I think I could get my money's worth.

James

Out There
Instructor
^ They stopped making that shiny glossy one for awhile. Used to be the duffle would attach to it. I see they’re making the Snow Roller now with Black Hole fabric.

@cantunamunch , look-

• Multiple Grab Handles​

Simple, streamlined exterior with six grab handles that can also serve as lashing points

• —————

There’s not the dramatic difference between a Roller ski bag and a non roller bag like there is for a non roller suitcase vs a roller suitcase. Or maybe I just haven’t found the right one.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anybody used the Patagonia Black Hole ruling ski bag? Looks pretty great. Not cheap, but I am still using a Black Hole duffel purchased in 1985 so I think I could get my money's worth.
I love my black hole duffel too, but for that price I would want a shoulder strap option for lugging when hands are full.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I do agree the four wheel vertical wheels are useless outside of smooth floors.
Mine seems to work tipped over like a two wheel case OK - as good as my old two wheeled case I think. Which is still sometimes useless in snowy parking lots.

For the ski case, I always want wheels... I don't travel very light... I usually have a full size 4 wheel suitcase, bootbag on my back, ski tube/bag, and a carry on (small backpack or shoulder bag). The wheeled suitcase and ski tube are key.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hmm,

yes they do, you reckon that is a better option?
I like the idea of just having one bag to drag around which has everyting in it as opposed to 2 separate ones (which then may not have wheels)
although I guess the wheels are only useful in the airport, once you hit snow they become useless i assume

too many options ...
I'm starting to resemble my girlfriend who I always make fun of when she can't make a choice ...

I should just order a bag and be done with it, it's "just" a bag I guess
On the wheels and snow, it depends on the snow. One time I needed to drag my bag from Chitose train station to the hotel a number of blocks way. The snow was deep enough that the wheels had no effect at all except adding drag. I recall similar just dragging my bag a block through deeper snow in Hakuba too.

Within airports i’ve never really encountered a situation where trolleys aren’t available. So if your only transit is from a taxi to the check in desk, and then on arrival from the luggage collection to a bus or taxi, and trolleys are there (as they always seem to be) the wheels may turn out to be somewhat superfluous.

If weight isn't an issue it’s better to have the wheels - it gives you a touch more flexibility. If weight limits are tight and you have easy transitions with trolleys available, the non-wheeled bag may be the way to go.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine seems to work tipped over like a two wheel case OK
You must have bigger wheels. On mine, the wheels dig in and don't turn, even on reasonably well-packed snow. Unlike my previous suitcase, with two larger wheels that worked on packed snow.

My 4-wheel case has trouble with the grout lines in the tile floor at the Albuquerque airport, too.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The amount of crap, er stuff, we bring on a week long ski trip is best described as a crapload. So 2 of us, 2 big rolling suitcases about 45lbs each. My boots, helmet goggles gloves shell in a roll on bag, my backpack with laptop, ipad, physical book, etc.. chargers, water bottle, snacks, etc. Robin carries her Transpack with boots helmet gloves, laptop, etc.. So we are pretty loaded down before we even get to the ski bag. We have a Dakine double roller bag that at 10 is getting a little worn at the ends but works fine. In that goes 2 pairs of skis, poles, some extra gloves, goggles, buffs, chemical toe and hand warmers. 90% of the people who fly with double ski bags seem to have the same model so we have some orange handle wraps for easier identification.

Above is when we fly - you wouldn't believe how much we can fit in a Toyota Highlander for a trip to VT!:cool:
You and I appear to come from the same School of Packing. I've tried to pack lighter but it's no use.

James

Out There
Instructor
4D464D0B-3594-4AE2-872B-AFDE9B1E479B.jpeg

This works. Two boot bags, 4 skis.

Sponsor

Staff online