• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The Lambo had a box.

I still think there is a design space in which rigid and semi-rigid roller bags are hoistable onto crossbars and directly securable thereto. Sportube is the obvious candidate, but that Djarv is certainly in that zone.

I mean the things are as big and as clunky and often heavier than skinnier boxes anyway; why would you want to put them in the car?

James

Out There
Instructor
I still think there is a design space in which rigid and semi-rigid roller bags are hoistable onto crossbars and directly securable thereto. Sportube is the obvious candidate, but that Djarv is certainly in that zone.

I mean the things are as big and as clunky and often heavier than skinnier boxes anyway; why would you want to put them in the car?
That’s a good point. Plus those bags are tapered. I suppose waterproof zipper might be a good idea to hose the salt and dirt off.

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
The DB seems a bit bulky / heavy for just one pair of skis (and boots).
Does it work with only one pair of skis and 'all' my gear?

Do you typically carry your boots in carry-on? and where do you put your helmet then? I don't think I can fit my boots and my helmet in an accepted carry-on size bag.
I was thinking of putting them in the ski bag and have that as my only luggage (and small carry-on backpack for random stuff).
So helmet and other gear would go in the ski bag as well.

Most of the single ski bags look to small to allow to put more stuff in them ...

As I'm mostly travelling by car it won't see that much either - only when I'm doing a random ski trip on my own.

The Dakine Fall Line seems like a decent option, just not sure if it is too big for my stuff and it will all bounce around?
Anyone used the Dakine Tram ski bag?

I obviously want my skis to arrive intact so maybe there the DB is would be the safer option ...
Dunno, all seems too difficult for me haha

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
The DB seems a bit bulky / heavy for just one pair of skis (and boots).
Does it work with only one pair of skis and 'all' my gear?

Do you typically carry your boots in carry-on? and where do you put your helmet then? I don't think I can fit my boots and my helmet in an accepted carry-on size bag.
I was thinking of putting them in the ski bag and have that as my only luggage (and small carry-on backpack for random stuff).
So helmet and other gear would go in the ski bag as well.

Most of the single ski bags look to small to allow to put more stuff in them ...

As I'm mostly travelling by car it won't see that much either - only when I'm doing a random ski trip on my own.

The Dakine Fall Line seems like a decent option, just not sure if it is too big for my stuff and it will all bounce around?
Anyone used the Dakine Tram ski bag?

I obviously want my skis to arrive intact so maybe there the DB is would be the safer option ...
Dunno, all seems too difficult for me haha
We have both a Dakine Fall Line and a DB. We have used them both to travel internationally from New Zealand to Japan, Canada and USA, so they have been through a few baggage handlers and airport luggage belts.

Overall both bags have stood up well, the DB probably better.
They are both about the same size.
I prefer the DB because:
  1. you can adjust the length to suit the skis
  2. the rib structure offers more rigid protection
  3. the position and number of grab handles are much better for manhandling around airports and transfers
  4. it is much easier to store in hotels, condos etc because it is designed to be rolled compactly when empty
We do put our ski boots in with skis - or in checked luggage because otherwise it pushes the limit or exceeds carryon weight limits (something that US airlines don't seem to have) and US carryon bags do seen a lot bigger than we are allowed domestically. We also prefer to travel light when travelling through lots of airports and security screenings. We typically have about a 25 to 35 hour trip door to door if going to Canada or USA ski areas so carry on is tech (phone, tablet, noise cancelling headphones, charging cables), wallet, passports, change of clothes, travel size toileteries (enough for a couple of days), puffer jacket, beanie and gloves.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you typically carry your boots in carry-on? and where do you put your helmet then?
The strong consensus here among us fanatics is that helmets are replaceable commodities while well fitted boots are precious treasures never to be put in a checked bag (unless maybe on the way home). James alluded to this above.

People have different solutions for helmets. I just put mine in my checked suitcase and call it good.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The strong consensus here among us fanatics is that helmets are replaceable commodities while well fitted boots are precious treasures never to be put in a checked bag (unless maybe on the way home). James alluded to this above.

People have different solutions for helmets. I just put mine in my checked suitcase and call it good.

^This.

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
So the reason for not putting them in the ski bag is not to protect the skis/bindings but of fear of losing them / not having them when you arrive?
I'll have to measure and weigh them to see if European carriers will even allow me to take them as carry-on luggage (as Mr. Kiwi mentioned above, not everyone gets to enjoy the luxury of American carriers ;-))

If my bag ends up missing I guess I just rent my whole gear including boots. Mine are not super special and never had any real issues with rental boots (guess I have easy going feet haha).

I just can't imagine that I can be bothered with mucking about with them boots in my carry-on ...

Think I am convinced of getting the DB - found a dutch shop that has them decently priced and even has the Raspberry one :)

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
So the reason for not putting them in the ski bag is not to protect the skis/bindings but of fear of losing them / not having them when you arrive?
If my bag ends up missing I guess I just rent my whole gear including boots. Mine are not super special and never had any real issues with rental boots (guess I have easy going feet haha).
Yes to the first question. Many members here have put a lot of time and $$ into getting boots that fit their feet well.

We are a bit obsessive about boot fit, because a good snug fit, often customized by the bootfitter in the shop, delivers the best control over our skis. And ski control delivers a blissful day on snow.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Yes.

Lucky. I have yet to meet a rental boot I'm not either swimming in or in pain from by the second run.

James

Out There
Instructor
If rental stuff works for you, consider not bringing anything. Skis especiallyas many carriers charge €100 each way.

What I do, (to Europe) and it’s a constant pain since my boots are heavy.- I have a boot bag where the boots strap to the outside. Through security, and getting in the plane, I detach the boots and carry them on my shoulder. I’ve done this and in addition, have had a snall day pack. But dripped the daypack a couple years ago.

In the boot bag is everything to actually ski, including helmet, but not the heavy, very warm clothes. Without the boots on, the pack probably just meets regs. It looks fairly small anyway. With boots strapped on it’s huge and heavy.

I haven’t brought skis to Europe in the kast few years, mainly because of car pooling, and cost.

Last time I shipped my boots back. But that was within the US. Was worth the $ to not carry them, a the ski bag with 3 pair was within 1lb of overweight.

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks, food for thought ...

I would fly Swiss and they have free ski gear included so the extra cost of travel with gear is minimal. Bags are a one time cost and hopefully last me several years / trips.

Rentals are fine but obviously not as good as my own gear.
A week rental of all gear is probably gonna set me back at least €150 ... more if I want better gear ...

James

Out There
Instructor
You should check if SwissAir considers a ski bag and a boot bag as one item.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ve been using the Burton wheelie gig ski bag (actually a board bag) @180cm for many years now. After many trips it shows few signs of wear and tear. I love the bag - a close equivalent to the Dakine Fall Line. It comfortably fits two pairs of skis and all my clothing (ski and otherwise) for a trip, with boots and helmet going in a carry on boot bag.

I’ve found though with two pairs of skis it’s a struggle to get the weight below 23kg.

So for my next trip I’m going to be giving the Dakine Tram a go. It’s essentially the Fall Line, but without wheels, and comes in around 1kg lighter. That’s likely to be all the difference I need.

It seems to be less robust than the Burton but I’d only use it when travelling with two pairs of skis. I’d normally leave a pair of powder skis at my normal northern hemisphere destination so they may only get ongoing intermittent use.

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
Hmm,
You should check if SwissAir considers a ski bag and a boot bag as one item.
yes they do, you reckon that is a better option?
I like the idea of just having one bag to drag around which has everyting in it as opposed to 2 separate ones (which then may not have wheels)
although I guess the wheels are only useful in the airport, once you hit snow they become useless i assume

too many options ...
I'm starting to resemble my girlfriend who I always make fun of when she can't make a choice ...

I should just order a bag and be done with it, it's "just" a bag I guess

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Don't overthink it - buy as lightweight a roller bag as you can (kit is heavy) and use it. Without a roller you're a hostage to trolleys etc. Admittedly dragging a roller ski bag around airports and rail stations isn't always easy but I reckon that if people aren't aware enough to give you enough space then tough cheddar of they get their toes run over when you are turning. People who buy without wheels end up moaning about carrying them or else end up not packing the allowed weight.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
If any transfers to buses, trains, etc: roller bag for sure. Before the trip dial in a strap setup that lets you pull it easily. Regarding bag capacity, check your total weight - past 2 pairs, if a bunch of race skis with plates, and/or heavy long freeride skis, you could end up over the relevant weight limit thus you don't need such a big bag.

Swiss is pretty generous with ski baggage, see their website for current info on that. But check also any codeshares along the way....

As for the helmet, just wear it ogwink

Sponsor

Staff online