• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

School me on Skins

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
I use the mesh on my BD skins to keep them seperated, the glue is super sticky. I cut it half the length of the skin and fold the skin back on the other side. This will prevent the glue from drying out over time. I am surprised the article didn't suggest this.
Hi Scott, It’s brand specific for using a mesh skin saver. BD glue is typically super sticky and many skiers use the mesh for storage and occasionally during laps. It’s one more thing to deal with, in particular if your group is fast on transitions. Other skins, such as Pomoca, do not require mesh skin savers - even for summer storage. Sometimes, it’s just personal preference.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
G3 used to provide mesh, now they say they don’t recommend it anymore.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Scott, It’s brand specific for using a mesh skin saver. BD glue is typically super sticky and many skiers use the mesh for storage and occasionally during laps. It’s one more thing to deal with, in particular if your group is fast on transitions. Other skins, such as Pomoca, do not require mesh skin savers - even for summer storage. Sometimes, it’s just personal preference.

I completely agree. I also just bought a Contour Hybrid Mohair skin recently and it did not come with the mesh like the BD. Its glue is a lot less sticky and I just stick the skin back on itself. The article talked about keeping the glue away from a lot of air circulation and heat so it doesn't dry out during long term storage. They mentioned the mesh doesn't prevent that, but I think they are assuming you stick the full length of the skin to the mesh and leave the other side of the mesh with nothing on it. The mesh leaves a lot of the glue surface exposed to air, so one way or the other you should prevent that and the article says the glue will not dry out as fast and last longer. I had not heard that before, maybe its not such a big deal, but the author got an article published about it. ;)

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled

James

Out There
Instructor
PSA-
Montana has a special on 100% mohair kit. 120mm, good for 200cm skis. But- comes with a piercing style front attachment. You could order a different attachment separately.
Assembly required. $82; 130mm $84

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
PSA-
Montana has a special on 100% mohair kit. 120mm, good for 200cm skis. But- comes with a piercing style front attachment. You could order a different attachment separately.
Assembly required. $82; 130mm $84

That's a ridiculously good deal. So what's the deal with the "ski piercing" attachment? Is this for a ski that already has the hole or do some folks drill the hole into the tip of the ski?

James

Out There
Instructor
That's a ridiculously good deal. So what's the deal with the "ski piercing" attachment? Is this for a ski that already has the hole or do some folks drill the hole into the tip of the ski?
Lol, no idea if people drill. You can imagine the butchering. I’ve only seen K2 with the hole.

You can buy other attachments.
The M clip runs $44 My skins have that.
The bow clip like $33-38
Maybe there’s other brands
D9FDBF45-093F-47BB-B8C2-FDCAA75D0805.jpeg

00A35EEE-03F6-4FB9-AD66-FD057D5898B8.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Did another skin. This one only about an hour.
Another learning exp with the boots. So the Zero G’s have this little extension on the cuff buckle notch parts that you can put the bale in. It’s less than the first notch and extends. I figured maybe you use those for the up.

Well, I go about half way and my feet are really hot and sweating. I lift up and roll the pant cuffs to ventilate. Better. Then realize I should try unbuckling completely. Ahh, better and easier with stride.

Do people usually roll up pant legs? Seemed much better. Temp was maybe 28-25.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I have the BD Ascension skins, @Mike Thomas has Gecko skins. Skiing side by side, it was interesting to see how my skis had more glide. On a downhill section I could ski down while he was still walking down. I'm not sure if I like that or not.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I have the BD Ascension skins, @Mike Thomas has Gecko skins. Skiing side by side, it was interesting to see how my skis had more glide. On a downhill section I could ski down while he was still walking down. I'm not sure if I like that or not.

Are these the skins you're using on your 107 Ti skis? I thought the Ascension models were 100% nylon. Best for the up on steep icy tracks, but not great glide.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I received my Pomoca Climb 2.0 skins today. I'm going to use these on my ZAG Big skis and the Fischer Pro MT 86 Ti skis. I'm going to "double cut" them so that they can swap between the skis. That will make them a bit narrow for the shovels of the ZAGs and a bit narrow for the tails of the Fischers, but I need them to do double-duty.

I noticed that the Climb 2.0 skins are noticeably lighter than the Climb Pro S-Glide skins I've been using. The plush and backing aren't as thick as the Climb Pros. They also seem to pack easier, but I'll know better after I use them on Friday. They're going to be part of my "Daymakers Hack" maiden voyage.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Are these the skins you're using on your 107 Ti skis? I thought the Ascension models were 100% nylon. Best for the up on steep icy tracks, but not great glide.

Yeah that's what they say, they have other models like the glide light that I expect glide more.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied with a friend on the BD Ascension skins and she had almost no glide. She was walking down hill while I was sliding. She was on 115mm wide skis while I was on 108mm wide ones. I was on my waxed BD Glidelight skins. I was going uphill way better, as well. I was surprised she didn't have better grip. By then end of the skin she said she modified her technique and her ability to go up a steep pitch got better. Lots of variables in this AT stuff as far as I can tell.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Learned very quickly on our skin up the clear cut with @Doug Briggs that climbing technique on natural ungroomed snow is absolutely critical to maximize stride efficiency and eliminate slipping. It was very different than inbounds skinning on a groomed slope. You either figured it out fairly quickly or you were in for a very long day... :)

James

Out There
Instructor
@James thanks for posting the slipper image......... Now Im obsessing about Doghammer products https://www.doghammer.de/en/ and these belts https://www.skinalp.com/theproject and https://www.skinsbelts.com
which all cost more than the Pomoca skins I was thinking of getting...
Well my slippers finally showed up. They were shipped from Germany Feb 18th. DHL. Got to US Customs in NY March 22nd, and arrived by USPS April 28th!. Unreal.

They are however, very nice. If you’re looking for a Christmas gift for a skier, these would go over quite well. Probably should order by October. They do run out of sizes, specific color skins.
AD6BF6F1-063A-46EF-9317-311AAFFCB76F.jpeg

18125CC3-8F7D-4975-BF58-765B7FECDD5B.jpeg

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
@James glad you got them, mine came pretty quickly? maybe it's a regional postal issue. I will definitely check back in October when they restock. I love that they are made by hand and unique. Warm and comfortable, a great gift for sure.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier

In case you want slippers with a Pomoca bottom. I have these and they are very comfortable.

I like how the Contour slippers show the recognizable skin design.

James

Out There
Instructor

In case you want slippers with a Pomoca bottom. I have these and they are very comfortable.

I like how the Contour slippers show the recognizable skin design.
F87FDC0C-0672-4D74-996E-D5903B0AA884.jpeg

Those are lovely. Random colors.
Did you get a pair?

James

Out There
Instructor
Yep I like the wool.
How is it walking with skin soles on say a wood floor?

The cork on the Doghammer is quite nice. Honestly, overall those things are fantastic. I always thought of slippers just as a way to keep dirt out of the house. But I actually look forward to putting these things on. They’re a bit too big as I got the closest size left at the time, but I still love them. I think I could’ve got the Kastle skin version in the right size but those seemed too boring. Love the Contour pattern.

Sponsor

Staff online