• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski injury taking member out of Aspen Gathering

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Moderator edit: Taking discussion about Lucia's injury from the roll call thread to its own discussion.
  1. @dbostedo - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  2. @David Chaus - Feb 26- Mar 5
  3. @PisteOff - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  4. @ChunderBlunder - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  5. @TheArchitect and Mrs. TheArchitect (non-skier) - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  6. @Unpiste - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  7. @Flying Dutchess - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  8. @Phelmut -Feb 26 - Mar 5 open for roomie(s)
  9. @Philpug
  10. @Tricia
  11. @lone pine 2/26 - 3/5
  12. @bbinder
  13. @margaritamarcia
  14. @KevinF - February 26th - March 5th
  15. @SkiDB - February 26th - March 5th
  16. @MattSmith - February 26th - March 5th
  17. @Garyskr (aka @Gary Stolt) - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  18. @theNitza - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  19. @Andy Mink - 26-5
  20. @AKMINK - 26-5
  21. @jimmy - 26-5
  22. @JohnL - 26-5 for lodging
  23. @mdf - 26-5
  24. @Pumba & Peter - dates not locked in (& as long as no new strain, will need beginner ski lessons - any others interested in group lesson - hit me up!)
  25. @Noodler - TBD (I have the pass, but nowhere to stay yet; P.S. I'm fully vaccinated...
  26. @Dryheat Feb 26 - 28th
  27. @Tony S Feb 26 - Mar 5 (exclusive)
  28. @Dean Feb 26 - Mar 5 + a few days in Steamboat after
  29. @SKI-3PO 26-5
  30. @P-Ute Feb 27 - Mar 5
  31. @VickieH Feb 25 - Mar 4
  32. @Jim Kenney Feb 27 & 28. Only two days, but they're going to be two fun days! Got family coming to visit later in the week and have to return to SLC to ski and recreate with them.
  33. @Brock Tice 26-1
I removed DanoT, myself and my wife from the roll call. Lucia had a fall exactly a month ago, from toe on track binding sliding forward resulting in a concussion from hitting her helmeted head on snow, we assume. A week ago, due to some loss of motor control, especially on right side, we went to local ER where CT Scan (she also had one a few days after fall) found slow bleeding on both sides of her brain. They moved her to hospital that specializes in this type of injury and put drain on one side of her head on Mon, on the other side on Tues. and she came home Thurs.

She was doing well, taking short walks in neighborhood in the evening and only a couple of Tylenol the first day, one the second and none yesterday when she felt some numbness in her left foot during walk. It got worse when she went to bed, spreading to her left leg with a little in left arm so I returned her to hospital she was released from very early this AM. She was able to walk into ER and explain to Dr. her problem.

CT Scan this AM did not show any change from one before she was released, but they are keeping her at hospital, where I am not allowed to visit her, so I am now home. Yesterday, I canceled her flight to Steamboat where we planned to ski a couple of days before Gathering (I was driving). All my lodging reservations all cancel-able which I planned to do as before this latest setback. Lucia already was not supposed to drive for 4 weeks or go to altitude or drink alcohol for 6 weeks. I'm still hopeful for a full recovery and that she will get on skis again this Spring.

Last edited by a moderator:

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
  1. @dbostedo - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  2. @David Chaus - Feb 26- Mar 5
  3. @PisteOff - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  4. @ChunderBlunder - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  5. @TheArchitect and Mrs. TheArchitect (non-skier) - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  6. @Unpiste - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  7. @Flying Dutchess - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  8. @Phelmut -Feb 26 - Mar 5 open for roomie(s)
  9. @Philpug
  10. @Tricia
  11. @lone pine 2/26 - 3/5
  12. @bbinder
  13. @margaritamarcia
  14. @KevinF - February 26th - March 5th
  15. @SkiDB - February 26th - March 5th
  16. @MattSmith - February 26th - March 5th
  17. @Garyskr (aka @Gary Stolt) - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  18. @theNitza - Feb 26 - Mar 5
  19. @Andy Mink - 26-5
  20. @AKMINK - 26-5
  21. @jimmy - 26-5
  22. @JohnL - 26-5 for lodging
  23. @mdf - 26-5
  24. @Pumba & Peter - dates not locked in (& as long as no new strain, will need beginner ski lessons - any others interested in group lesson - hit me up!)
  25. @Noodler - TBD (I have the pass, but nowhere to stay yet; P.S. I'm fully vaccinated...
  26. @Dryheat Feb 26 - 28th
  27. @Tony S Feb 26 - Mar 5 (exclusive)
  28. @Dean Feb 26 - Mar 5 + a few days in Steamboat after
  29. @SKI-3PO 26-5
  30. @P-Ute Feb 27 - Mar 5
  31. @VickieH Feb 25 - Mar 4
  32. @Jim Kenney Feb 27 & 28. Only two days, but they're going to be two fun days! Got family coming to visit later in the week and have to return to SLC to ski and recreate with them.
  33. @Brock Tice 26-1
I removed DanoT, myself and my wife from the roll call. Lucia had a fall exactly a month ago, from toe on track binding sliding forward resulting in a concussion from hitting her helmeted head on snow, we assume. A week ago, due to some loss of motor control, especially on right side, we went to local ER where CT Scan (she also had one a few days after fall) found slow bleeding on both sides of her brain. They moved her to hospital that specializes in this type of injury and put drain on one side of her head on Mon, on the other side on Tues. and she came home Thurs.

She was doing well, taking short walks in neighborhood in the evening and only a couple of Tylenol the first day, one the second and none yesterday when she felt some numbness in her left foot during walk. It got worse when she went to bed, spreading to her left leg with a little in left arm so I returned her to hospital she was released from very early this AM. She was able to walk into ER and explain to Dr. her problem.

CT Scan this AM did not show any change from one before she was released, but they are keeping her at hospital, where I am not allowed to visit her, so I am now home. Yesterday, I canceled her flight to Steamboat where we planned to ski a couple of days before Gathering (I was driving). All my lodging reservations all cancel-able which I planned to do as before this latest setback. Lucia already was not supposed to drive for 4 weeks or go to altitude or drink alcohol for 6 weeks. I'm still hopeful for a full recovery and that she will get on skis again this Spring.
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
@Tony -- Best wishes for Lucia.

A family member went thru something similar last year ... fall, symptoms of something, brain surgery to fix bleeding and relieve pressure, home, follow-up CT, 2nd surgery to fix bleeding, longer stay in hospital to monitor him. Yes, he had a full recovery. It may have been 6 months from the first surgery to his being fully back to his regular life. If you have any questions about the specifics, feel free to PM me.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Hope she makes a swift and full recovery. Remember you posting about the seemingly innocuous binding snafu fall at the time.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Moderator edit: Taking discussion about Lucia's injury from the roll call thread to its own discussion.

Very sorry to hear the news. Best wishes to your wife, Tony!!

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Best wishes and heal well.

James

Out There
Instructor
Sorry to hear.
Have a similar story with family member. One month post concussion in fall on snow, sudden problems walking, odd speech pattern. Taken to ER, scan shows brain shifted significantly. (I recall 20mm, but not sure) Transported to another hospital for emergency neuro surgery to drain fluid. Recovery was good, though there were occasional bouts of vertigo. Not sure if it’s related or not.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have to say this is scary, could've happened to any of us, I mean even if we don't own a system/track binding many of us do demo's/demo bindings. Reading of the resultant head trauma is sobering to say the least and not that is any consolation but TG she hit snow and not a tree or lift tower!

I hope @VickieH's post helps give Lucia more hope and reassurance that she will recover well. It certainly helped me process, as did @James post.

Best wishes and best of luck to Lucia with her recovery. I hope she heals well both physically and psychologically, get's back on the horse and continues to enjoy skiing.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Terrible! Max wishes for a fast & full recovery.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
So very sorry to hear this! Thank goodness, they have such advanced imaging and treatment options these days. My hopes for a complete recovery. The brain can do much more to heal itself than we ever thought in the past, with rest and plenty of time.

TS
Tony

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Thanks everyone for your concern. Lucia is doing well and has not experienced any more numbness, but they are going to keep her at hospital 30 miles away where they specialize in neurology until tomorrow. The Dr. I talked to today said she is most likely getting headaches from concussion syndrome. This is not really from original injury 33 days ago, but from brain now having room to expand after procedures last week that relieved pressure using drains. She may have been able to come home sooner as CT scans still look very good, but she had problems with strong meds for headaches that she was given on Sunday evening and early Monday AM. After watching Dopesick on Hulu, she did not want to try oxycodone, but it seems like if Tylenol is not enough, half of a 5 mg oxycodone works much better for her than stronger meds.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Very scary. Hope she has a swift and full recovery.

Sponsor

Staff online