• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Skiing in Europe...off to a bad start

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
This an interview with Austria’s Tourism Minister on Spiegel Travel. I put it through Google Translate; hope it works:

https://translate.google.com/transl...-piste-a-38f55482-d30b-44ff-b05c-ac36ebb0cd35

In summary:
  1. Austria authorities believe they can make skiing covid-safe.
  2. Winter sports revenue is critical (“indispensable“) to Austria.
  3. Austria does not deem to tell France when it should open the Lourve, and Italy its cafes, so “butt out of Austria’s business!”).
The problem for the large resorts, eg St Anton, is that they rely heavily on tourism from (roughly in order, AFAIK): Germany, Netherlands, UK, and then I think maybe Denmark. If those countries ban travel, or impose onerous quarantine, then that will be a huge hit on bookings. I have heard that Crystal, a major chalet operator, has cancelled all its chalet leases for this season. That decision, plus other companies doing likewise, has cancelled ~40 leases in St Anton. Bookings are understandably down, anecdotally 30% in Lech. People we know in St Anton have no bookings yet - they would normally be booked out until early March. It will sure be an odd winter, if it happens.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Isn't the après ski bars in Austria what blew up Europe and NY? We all know the skiing itself isn't high risk for community spread. It's what happens before and after skiing that's the problem.

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
Isn't the aprés ski bars in Austria what blew up Europe and NY? We all know the skiing itself isn't high risk for community spread. It's what happens before and after skiing that's the problem.

I am not sure that is correct. Yes, Ischgl’s après bars were a hotspot, but the first case was not reported until 7 March. It was well & truly rife in Milan before then. Lots of information and misinformation, biased by political considerations.

Traditional après will not be permitted in Austria this season: https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/archiv/highlights-news/covid19-safety-measures-winter20-21

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Been reading news last couple weeks on the EU controversy and of course we in NA have similar issues. One key process resorts, mountain communities, and authorities, need to implement is policy that bans skiers/boarders for say X weeks, that don't wear masks properly up above their noses where policy dictates doing so, especially in lift mazes and day lodges. Likewise in resort lodging communities no more kids glove treatment. Until that is implemented there will be minor numbers of those resistant along with the ignorant, unconcerned, and lazy that will provide media with photos and news of those at resorts not in compliance that could be spreading virus that gives authorities and political policy makers a reason to shut things down. Give people a single warning shared by all resorts while recording who they are and then ban them X weeks. My expectation is that hard approach is the only way we enthusiasts most of which are fine with compliance, will see a full season.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
we enthusiasts most of which are fine with compliance.
I have to disagree with your generalization here. If it were true, you wouldn't see so many comments or observations here and in the news about noncompliance, or even resistance.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Or at least we should be fine with compliance, that is if we care about others.

James

Out There
Instructor
Snow is bad in France?
Val D’Isere wcup race moved to Italy

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Snow is bad in France?
Val D’Isere wcup race moved to Italy

Warm temps, not that in Italy there is much more snow...but temps have been consistently down the past week...
It would be fair to say, even if it is only the end of November, that St Anton is experiencing a slow start...

View attachment 116287
Even without this danr'd plague, this winter, so far, doesn't look promising...
Here my "neck of the woods" :-D

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Another Europe "shut ski season down" widely distributed news media opinion.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/going-skiing-terrible-idea-now-060017279.html

As I've previously posted, if we snow enthusiasts are to avoid losing our ski seasons, we are going to have to step up our compliant behaviors so the public, media, and authorities are not viewing what we do as lacking in policy compliance and worsening the pandemic versus the current situation where a significant number of we enthusiasts are resistant. One can expect a fair number of the non-compliant would readily be compliant once they noticed others doing so while there are some resistant to policy that no amount of reasoning or logic is likely to make a difference short of pain. The latter needs to be culled from the herd.

As it is now for instance with masks below noses in lift lines, those same people are noticing enough others in non compliance that it is easy for them to do so also. The way to solve the issue is simply enforcement plus removing skiing/boarding privileges for X weeks from those more resistant doing so. It is not that policy is misplaced but rather if we as an enthusiast community wish to slide on snow, we are going to need to follow policy regardless of whether such has merit. That can only happen if resorts enforce policies unlike is the current of asking people and hoping they will comply. In other words they seem to be afraid of taking a hard approach so as not to annoy some customers. Likewise in resort communities, authorities and businesses need to take a harder approach of those resistant regardless of their fear that such may result in some customers going elsewhere as the alternative may result no customers at all.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
A lot of these curfews make so much sense :rolleyes:. After all, everybody knows the virus is nocturnal and won't spread during daylight hours.
I think it's about really curbing the behaviors that occur later in the evening that could cause people to get careless. :beercheer:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I guess it's kind of like banning wine at picnics or beer at the beach - easier to enforce. I still don't like it; they should just not be so lazy/scared and clamp down on the bad behaviour, instead of depriving me.
Same could be said for driving with an open container..

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
Can anyone clarify whether I, as an American living in UK, can enter Switzerland at this time? UK Gov website indicates I cannot, as I am not a UK or EU citizen (yet - Greek passport soon. And I realise that Switzerland is not in the EU!). While my Swiss friend says his govt website says I am welcome to visit, as I am not living in the U.S., but rather the U.K. Help appreciated!

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Can anyone clarify whether I, as an American living in UK, can enter Switzerland at this time? UK Gov website indicates I cannot, as I am not a UK or EU citizen (yet - Greek passport soon. And I realise that Switzerland is not in the EU!). While my Swiss friend says his govt website says I am welcome to visit, as I am not living in the U.S., but rather the U.K. Help appreciated!

According to this, it might be possible, depending on your reason for travel, however you must quarantine for 10 days without going out at all.

James

Out There
Instructor
Another Europe "shut ski season down" widely distributed news media opinion.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/going-skiing-terrible-idea-now-060017279.html

As I've previously posted, if we snow enthusiasts are to avoid losing our ski seasons, we are going to have to step up our compliant behaviors so the public, media, and authorities are not viewing what we do as lacking in policy compliance and worsening the pandemic versus the current situation where a significant number of we enthusiasts are resistant. One can expect a fair number of the non-compliant would readily be compliant once they noticed others doing so while there are some resistant to policy that no amount of reasoning or logic is likely to make a difference short of pain. The latter needs to be culled from the herd.

As it is now for instance with masks below noses in lift lines, those same people are noticing enough others in non compliance that it is easy for them to do so also. The way to solve the issue is simply enforcement plus removing skiing/boarding privileges for X weeks from those more resistant doing so. It is not that policy is misplaced but rather if we as an enthusiast community wish to slide on snow, we are going to need to follow policy regardless of whether such has merit. That can only happen if resorts enforce policies unlike is the current of asking people and hoping they will comply. In other words they seem to be afraid of taking a hard approach so as not to annoy some customers. Likewise in resort communities, authorities and businesses need to take a harder approach of those resistant regardless of their fear that such may result in some customers going elsewhere as the alternative may result no customers at all.
A fair number of the places in Europe rely heavily on trams, and more on gondolas. What’s insane is I’ve seen no plan to reduce the packing in trams and to improve ventilation. It’s crazy. The bigger ones are 150 people in a small box who also have to wait in line usually close together there also.

Maybe they’ve come up with something?

With no alternative system, the only safe plan is just not to go on them. Or, have a well fit N95.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
This is what my friend sent me:

This is what the Swiss Embassy in UK says on its website:

"The UK was removed from Switzerland’s ‘quarantine list’ (list of states and areas with an increased risk of infection) as of 29 October 2020. Therefore, persons who enter Switzerland from the UK do not have to go into quarantine upon arrival unless they have stayed in a state or area with an increased risk of infection within the previous 10 days. Persons who have stayed in a state or area with an increased risk of infection within the previous 10 days are required to go into quarantine for 10 days upon arrival in Switzerland unless they qualify for an exemption. Persons who are obliged to go into quarantine have to report their arrival to the relevant cantonal authority within two days."

Last edited:

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@AlpedHuez id say it’s super unclear, some sites seem to indicate the decision about entry is based on residence, some indicate its nationality. I wouldn’t count on being able to enter Switzerland rn on a US passport. If I was you I’d call both embassies. We entered Canada right before the border closed on UK passports in March and sailed through and watched them give Americans an incredibly hard time (why are you here, why are you traveling, etc).

James

Out There
Instructor
How accessible is testing in France, the UK, western Europe? Is it all over the place like the US? Parts of the US are easy and free. Others, difficult.

Sponsor