• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skis for a Newbie Instructor

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Buying new skis to teach beginners is an oxymoron to me. Sure top sheets are cosmetic, but skis wear by flex cycles. (and edges too) The more times they flex, the less snap they have. At a major destination resort like Jackson, you're likely going to have a steady supply of lessons. You don't need a new ski to teach wedge turns, and that ski will just get beat on. As for missing a sweet run, if you can't size up the fullness of the parking lot or the early am powder forecast, then you shouldn't be teaching at Jackson. When you know you'll be squeezing in a few fun runs or taking a clinic is when you bring out the good skis. And you say " he has other skis for freeride time "

So I think you're asking the wrong question. Find any old used front side ski in an appropriate length to teach. The question I think you(he) should ask is "What new ski should I buy to get the most out of clinics and training at Jackson?" Unless it's a one year and done type experience plan.

*PS. Boots are important too.

Last edited:

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I normally have a two ski quiver for instruction. I like beginners to use short skis to make it easier to learn. To teach them I have a pair of 133cm skis. (I wore out my Atomic 120s teaching.) It makes it easier to move around the beginner slopes and to demo. For other lessons I use my "normal" skis. (Added plus, take some runs on the short skis. It will teach you to be centered on your skis.) I keep both pairs on the outside rack when teaching and pick the appropriate skis according to the upcoming lesson.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
When I am teaching, I am working on my skiing. I try and do the best demos I can so my students have a good visual of what I am asking them to do.

I do not want to be doing this on some piece of crap skis with a shitty tune.

I make the most of my day. I get out on the hill and ski before lineup. I ski as much as I can before lineup. I do not have time to go back to the locker room and change skis. Also, if I do not work, I go skiing and do not want to have to switch skis.

Buy a decent pair of versatile skis. Who gives a rat’s ass about top sheet. Skis are tools to be used.

Last edited:

Disinterested

Getting off the lift
Skier
If you're likely to be skiing all over the mountain with your guests on any given day then a 80 waisted ish ski with good performance characteristics is I think the way. Some of the head supershapes, some of Rossi's fatter cheater race line, etc. I think if you want a one ski quiver that is the best option to go for.

sam mosier

Free skier
Instructor
I am looking for some ski recommendations for my son, who will be working as a first year instructor at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort this winter. He spent this past winter in Steamboat so his skiing certainly improved and he became much more aggressive on the slopes. He is looking for some skis to be his "teaching skis", keeping in mind that as a new instructor he will be doing a lot of "pizza" and "french fries". He is 23 yo, 5'10" and 145 lbs(distance running vegan). What skis would you recommend to him for teaching (he has other skis for freeride time)? For budget considerations previous years models would be a bonus. Thanks for your opinions.

Mods: I certainly understand if you want to move this but I thought this might be the best place to get recs from instructors.
Get a good pair of skis. preferably a narrow 75-88 turny ski. Dont be afraid to go shorter than you think 170 or so. You need a good ski so when you hopefully are skiing and learning in clinics from other instructor/coaches you have something that works. (oh and I teach kids not! to touch my skis or anyone elses. They need to learn that.)

Sponsor

Staff online