• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snow tires - recommendations?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The best recommendations you could ask for, "what would a guy in the business recommend for his mother".
As a specialty winter tire if cost were not a factor (considering tread wear and that the winter rubber doesn't extend past half way) the Bridgestone would be a winner, we're it not for the studded Hakkapeliitas.
Between it and the non-studded Hakka true winter tire, I will defer to someone who has more experience with both.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Studded Hankook I Pikes up here... Studded Hakka's are nice too as they handle about the same... It's not the snow or ice that gets you, up here on paved roads... Unless you're stuck on a steep ice hill in traffic. You'll see the studded people pulling out to continue while everyone else just sits and waits. We also cruise at normal speeds during big storms. Kinda weird to everyone else. We got to the mtn in 1.75 hrs one time (normal time 1h 10min) during a big Nor'Easter storm. Toyota Highlander (AWD of course) while my buddy in his big pick up truck w/ serious AT tires and wgt in the back, took 2.5 hrs to arrive. We left from my house at the same time. He had to slow way down. We discussed and met him there. That's where I REALLY saw the difference in studded, dedicated high end snow vs all others.

Here in the NEK, it's mostly the mud & ice on the dirt roads. I wouldn't consider anything else as ice and mud season are SICK! :dig:

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Studded Hankook I Pikes up here... Studded Hakka's are nice too as they handle about the same... It's not the snow or ice that gets you, up here on paved roads... Unless you're stuck on a steep ice hill in traffic. You'll see the studded people pulling out to continue while everyone else just sits and waits. We also cruise at normal speeds during big storms. Kinda weird to everyone else. We got to the mtn in 1.5 hrs one time during a big Nor'Easter storm. Toyota Highlander (AWD of course) while my buddy in his big pick up truck w/ serious AT tires and wgt in the back, took 2.5 hrs to arrive. We left from my house at the same time. He had to slow way down. We discussed and met him there. That's where I REALLY saw the difference in studded, dedicated high end snow vs all others.

Here in the NEK, it's mostly the mud & ice on the dirt roads. I wouldn't consider anything else as ice and mud season are SICK! :dig:
The only thing I might not do is "cruise at normal speeds during big storms" I tend to error on the conversation side when it comes to speed.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Since this has become a catch-all snow tire thread, the Conti VikingContacts have been performing quite well this year on my lightweight FWD Massachusetts car.

I might even like them better than the X-ice xi3 I had the last couple of seasons. Good stopping distance. Very predictable on ice/packed snow/cold wet roads. Much better in the rain than the Michelins, which were prone to premature hydroplaning. You can feel when they’re about to break loose and plan for it, which is nice.

Only place I’ve got into trouble so far was when I stopped on a steep uphill traffic light, both drive wheels on a polished ice sheet. Had traction sitting on the brakes and traction when moving, but not the in between part. After the initial panic, backed up and to the side to get one wheel on dirt, and got moving forward. No drama.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The only thing I might not do is "cruise at normal speeds during big storms" I tend to error on the conversation side when it comes to speed.

Eh, don't forget he's on state and county roads up there, not highway. A lot of them 2-lane with gobs of no-pass zones.

Slowing down below other peoples' expectations means he would be creating a traffic jam.

Which increases danger, both from behind and people trying to go around.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Since this has become a catch-all snow tire thread, the Conti VikingContacts have been performing quite well this year on my lightweight FWD Massachusetts car.

I might even like them better than the X-ice xi3 I had the last couple of seasons. Good stopping distance. Very predictable on ice/packed snow/cold wet roads. Much better in the rain than the Michelins, which were prone to premature hydroplaning. You can feel when they’re about to break loose and plan for it, which is nice.

Only place I’ve got into trouble so far was when I stopped on a steep uphill traffic light, both drive wheels on a polished ice sheet. Had traction sitting on the brakes and traction when moving, but not the in between part. After the initial panic, backed up and to the side to get one wheel on dirt, and got moving forward. No drama.

Any noticeable tread squirm? My TerrainContacts are scary for tread squirm, especially on cold metal-grate bridges. Like 8mph entire-car lateral shimmy level scary.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I do slow down, but at my age and conservative Gas Use profile (LOL) due to the fact that we are always at the mtn... Normal during a big storm is anywhere from 50 - 65. W/ studded dedicated snows I hardly ever go over 65 mph... unless I'm wearing earplugs!!! "WHAT WAS THAT!?!?? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" LMAO .... and that's in a Highlander! In Wifey's CRV she just tells me to "SHUT UP! WATCH THE ROAD!" LMAO :beercheer:

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any noticeable tread squirm? My TerrainContacts are scary for tread squirm, especially on cold metal-grate bridges. Like 8mph entire-car lateral shimmy level scary.
Not life changing. Steering feel is softer (but I’m coming from driveguard runflats that I hate, so apples to oranges), but that doesn’t seem to translate to anything I’d characterize as particularly obnoxious squirm. Goes where it’s pointing. Comfortable cornering hard. But honestly I’m the wrong person to ask as the car gets so much bump steer that I might subconsciously compensate.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
As a specialty winter tire if cost were not a factor (considering tread wear and that the winter rubber doesn't extend past half way) the Bridgestone would be a winner, we're it not for the studded Hakkapeliitas.
Between it and the non-studded Hakka true winter tire, I will defer to someone who has more experience with both.
Purely for myself as someone who likes to go out the worse it gets, and has tested a lot of tires in some insane real world conditions, I think studless snow tires occupy a no-man’s land in the age of modern all weather tires. That’s both in the truck and CUV class.

Studless slide in the same places in 2D conditions and have much lower headroom in 3D conditions, which overall is a reduced performance envelope, particularly on road at speed. Above 75 mph, there is a clear difference between the DMV2 and Falken AT Trail (which has a 140 mph speed rating), but ms nay doesn’t drive much above 80 and she’s not going to notice. And it‘s an Ascent, but the Falken made that car so much better than I actually bought upgraded coil springs for it because it deserves to be able to be driven hard with that motor. Those are sitting in the box they came in, because it’s not my car.

But…I haven’t had a chance to do more than a couple of tests with the DMV2 in winter conditions and if I end up thinking they are a class of performance better I’ll be honest about that.

Until then, if you really need snow tires on anything but a 2WD for forward traction, then you really need studded. The best all weather tires are otherwise more than sufficient if you understand things like the best way to not slide is to not use your brakes (gear based compression braking). You can’t lock up your brakes if you aren’t standing on them.

Studded tires are in a completely different class. There is nothing else that works on real ice, but we don’t really have any real ice in a continental climate. Real ice is what Seattle just got. If you haven’t seen any of those vids, they are amazing. Parked cars sliding together down hills. Incredible.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Eh, don't forget he's on state and county roads up there, not highway. A lot of them 2-lane with gobs of no-pass zones.

Slowing down below other peoples' expectations means he would be creating a traffic jam.

Which increases danger, both from behind and people trying to go around.
I passed a bunch of people on two lane roads driving slowish yesterday on a long drive punctuated by periods of new snow mixed over remnants of old snow. It’s amazing that people really don’t like to be passed in winter, like it’s some right of passage own the place. If there are more than 5 cars behind you, pull over and let everybody pass.

There are times when driving an old school truck engine like a 5.7L V8 with 6 manual gear selection options for the auto transmission is just perfect, because you get real compression braking. Both of my 4x4s are shod in the Patagonia MT, and in a mix of soapy and cold snow, they are just flawless with letting the engine do the braking.

Makes you feel better about the miserable gas mileage the rest of the time.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It’s amazing that people really don’t like to be passed in winter, like it’s some right of passage own the place. If there are more than 5 cars behind you, pull over and let everybody pass.

I think it's a reaction that derives from not controlling ones own fate - or at least perceiving that one doesn't.

Reactions: nay

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I might need ONE set of new snows next season.

Anybody have a crystal ball on Hokey-Pokeys becoming available again?

Studless. No need for studded, ever, in my applications. I can slow down a bit for the 1% of the time I wish I had them.

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I passed a bunch of people on two lane roads driving slowish yesterday on a long drive punctuated by periods of new snow mixed over remnants of old snow. It’s amazing that people really don’t like to be passed in winter, like it’s some right of passage own the place. If there are more than 5 cars behind you, pull over and let everybody pass.

I think it's a reaction that derives from not controlling ones own fate - or at least perceiving that one doesn't.
Might also be when you have cars in front of you there is a constant need to use washer fluid to keep the windshield clear.

Sometimes I like being behind other cars, their headlights provide further visibility to what lays ahead. When we drove up to Sugarloaf over Christmas week the roads had random ice flows from the rain/freeze. I was happy to let someone else spot it 1st in the dark roads of backwoods Maine. We were in the Jeep, so no chance to test the Alfa snow tires.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Sometimes I like being behind other cars, their headlights provide further visibility to what laus ahead. When we drove up to Sugarloaf over Christmas week the roads had random ice flows from the rain/freeze. I was happy to let someone else spot it 1st in the dark roads of backwoods Maine. We were in the Jeep, so no chance to test the Alfa snow tires.

I do that all the time - please pass me - so they can hit the deer. :D

In the drippy half-fog half-rain especially but on clear nights too.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
we did more testing again

VC7 and hakkas = still where its at.

michelin x-ice is closing though, all tests done on a few week old tires and shit conditions.

I got hakka dubs on 1 car now, VC7 on another, and x-ice on the 3rd ;D

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The best recommendations you could ask for, "what would a guy in the business recommend for his mother".
Heh. I was helping a beginner-ish woman friend buy new skis at the Bootdoctor in Taos and asked the salesperson if he would put his mother on the skis he was recommending. He said yes unreservedly, sale was consummated, friend is really happy.

I feel like that’s an acceptable thread drift for a skiing forum, but just in case, she’s getting CrossClimate 2s put on her Tesla, based on my, and the tire guy’s, recommendation.

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Update. X-ice on the new Jeep. Had Hakkas on the old Jeep.

So far so good. The Xice have been great in frozen over snow over rain combo and in slush and light snow. Haven't been in deep deep snow yet. Not enough snow here yet. Been too warm. :nono:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Heh. I was helping a beginner-ish woman friend buy new skis at the Bootdoctor in Taos and asked the salesperson if he would put his mother on the skis he was recommending. He said yes unreservedly, sale was consummated, friend is really happy.

I feel like that’s an acceptable thread drift for a skiing forum, but just in case, she’s getting CrossClimate 2s put on her Tesla, based on my, and the tire guy’s, recommendation.
Side story about buying a new car. I purchased a new car and was negotiating the trade in price of my old vehicle, the sale person thought he was being a smart guy asked me if it was good enough for his wife to drive, I was playing hardball with him so I asked him if she was pregnant, he answered no. I answered YES but I guess that set him off his game and I was able to get a little extra for my trade in.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I might need ONE set of new snows next season.

Anybody have a crystal ball on Hokey-Pokeys (hakkas) becoming available again?

Studless. No need for studded, ever, in my applications. I can slow down a bit for the 1% of the time I wish I had them.

Bumping. Hoping!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid