• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snow tires - recommendations?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for sharing this 55%/ 45% note I was not aware of this. It is a disappointment when expecting good traction for more than 55% of the tread life. I don't expect a full tread life out of a snow tire but would like more than 55%.
From my experience with probably a half dozen sets of Blizzaks, even at 70% worn they are still better than most all seasons at full depth. YMMV

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From my experience with probably a half dozen sets of Blizzaks, even at 70% worn they are still better than most all seasons at full depth. YMMV
Without a doubt. I only have experience with Blizzak and now Conti Viking contact 7's. i don't have the longevity with the Continentals yet, only 1 season in but so far so good. But the Blizzaks have all gone 3-5 seasons for us and lots of miles. It's not like my summer tires last any longer. Tires wear. The times they've lasted only 3 season were because we sold the vehicle and they didnt fit our new one. Our last set I gave to my parents after 2 seasons and they used for another 3 before they got a new vehicle.

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
But at that point are they better or worse than other brands of full snows?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Depend on which brand of snow tires you're talking about. I would use them over some cheapo chinese made snow tire, even if they were brand new. But I would compare them directly to any of the "good" brands. I've used just about every brand over the last 20 years since I have had multiple cars with them on every winter. Bridgestone, Dunlop, Michelin, Goodyear, etc. The only ones I've never personally used was Nokian because they weren't widely distibuted in my area or available through places like Tire Rack (where I have bought 90% of my tires).

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great video from Tyre Reviews, as always. Just out today:

Nice to see the studded Hakkas added to the test as a reference. Is the other reference Continental WinterContact TS870 sold in North America? I'm not seeing any tires that look like the tread pattern on Tire Rack.

Last edited:
TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Here's the article for a more skimmable option:

JonathanShefftz

Putting on skis
Skier
[...] Based on just numbers, the Vredestein is a pretty good balance. I wonder what it drives like. [...]

I put ~25.4k miles on a set of 245/45R18 Vredestein Wintrac Pro (for sale, since I sold the car) on a 2019 VW Arteon (AWD of course).
Drove just like I hoped it would drive: sufficient traction on snow and ice, barely felt like a winter tire on dry (only slightly less smooth than the OEM 245/40R19 ProContact Tx), and had the assurances of good wet stopping distances (where almost all "studless" winter tires -- i.e., not so-called "performance" winter tires -- perform so poorly),

JonathanShefftz

Putting on skis
Skier
Not all "snow tire" conditions are similar. I drove in Iceland this March on studded tires, and boy, was I glad for those studs. There was a lot of packed snow/ice surface, and sometimes some deep. Occasionally, there was gravel/sand mixed in, but it was almost never completely down to asphalt.

Meanwhile, I live in southern New England. We almost never drive on packed snow or ice. They get out and pre-treat the roads, which leads immediately to slush, and then they plow. So slush, wet, and even dry conditions far outweigh the occasional mid-storm snow-covered surface. Before buying, consider and research according to most-common local conditions.

;)Just like skis: buy for the conditions you typically drive, not for the conditions you wish for.
Quoted for emphasis!
If I lived in, say, Tahoe with massively deep snowstorms, or in, say, Calgary, with consistently cold temps, or off of a dirt road in a more rural location in New England, then sure, many of the winter tire choices in this thread would make sense.
But even awaking long before dawn to chase backcountry powder in New England, almost the entire drive is plowed to some extent, and then the return trip is a mix of slush, wet, and dry, where a so-called "performance" winter tire is a far better choice.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's the article for a more skimmable option:

I believe this is the written review matching the new video, as it has the reference studded Hakkas:

For my new winter quiver, I think I'll put Cross Climate 2's on my RWD G35 to complement the studded Hakkas on my Sequoia. Pick the ski car based on the conditions, just like skis.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I believe this is the written review matching the new video, as it has the reference studded Hakkas:

For my new winter quiver, I think I'll put Cross Climate 2's on my RWD G35 to complement the studded Hakkas on my Sequoia. Pick the ski car based on the conditions, just like skis.
Nice to have options. I live in Sudbury Ontario. The 'vette is going into storage. The Mazda 3 is getting Studded Hakka 10s. The X-ice are being given to my son out-law.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Nice to have options. I live in Sudbury Ontario. The 'vette is going into storage. The Mazda 3 is getting Studded Hakka 10s. The X-ice are being given to my son out-law.
Don't be a pussy. Throw some Hakkas on the vette too. It deserves to share in the fun. :ogbiggrin:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
I would were it not for the fact that I exposed my old 750 Interceptor to salt spray, one fine warmer winter day years ago. The freezing rain was "Challenge Accepted"; the salt spray and a few months in the parking garage was a disaster. Not doing that to the 'vette.

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
All my research was wasted...I found a used set of Alfa OEM wheels locally with Goodyear Winter Command Ultra tires. They seem to be similar performance wise to the X Ice but the OEM wheels are a huge bonus!

Now...it just needs to snow!!

Attachments

• 20221019_133637.jpg
    20221019_133637.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 12

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
All my research was wasted...I found a used set of Alfa OEM wheels locally with Goodyear Winter Command Ultra tires. They seem to be similar performance wise to the X Ice but the OEM wheels are a huge bonus!

Now...it just needs to snow!!
How much tread depth is left on them?

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
How much tread depth is left on them?
Quick measure shows ~8/32, down from 11/32 tread depth when new per the published spec for the tire. I think/hope they'll be good for 2 winters given the amount of driving I do.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Quick measure shows ~8/32, down from 11/32 tread depth when new per the published spec for the tire. I think/hope they'll be good for 2 winters given the amount of driving I do.
I have found that the shorter the tread, the more miles you get per 1/32" of tread. It seems closer to the last half lasting twice as long as the first half, but I've not done a controlled experiment on this. I do have enough experience, waiting for OEM rubber to wear out and also making my snow tires last too long, to confirm that it's close to that.

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have found that the shorter the tread, the more miles you get per 1/32" of tread. It seems closer to the last half lasting twice as long as the first half, but I've not done a controlled experiment on this. I do have enough experience, waiting for OEM rubber to wear out and also making my snow tires last too long, to confirm that it's close to that.
I wonder if that is a function of the heat cycling/hardening of the tires over time? These tires will be far more winter capable than the stock Pirelli rubber.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I wonder if that is a function of the heat cycling/hardening of the tires over time? These tires will be far more winter capable than the stock Pirelli rubber.
I wonder if the percent decline is traction that is talked about up thread has anything to do with the rubber hardening?

Sponsor

Staff online