• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Spoiled Teenager Alert!!

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last year I bought my son a pair of Rossignol E80’s at 176. What a great developmental ski it turned out to be. This year we’ve a few major trips planned, one of them being the Gathering, which will be 10 days for us. In light of the trips I purchased myself the Renoun Endurance 98 as we simply didn’t have any good all mountain 90-100mm skis in our arsenal. Knowing what rental costs are I started looking at Demo skis to buy a pair of 90-100’s for my 16 yr old son and ski buddy. He’s an early intermediate but progressing well. (He lives with his mom. If he lived with me he’d ski A LOT more than he does). Anyway, I was looking at 4 different skis for him. The Armada Invictus 95, the Völkl 90Eight, the 15-16 non Ti Fischer Ranger 98, and the Atomic Vantage 95C. All very good intermediate level skis. Today I pulled the trigger on these two purchases.

View media item 1955View media item 1956
I got the Atomics for 300 new in plastic and the Looks new for 90. What a great bargain on what should be a great setup for him this winter to begin progressing in 3-D snow. He’s only been outside of Michigan skiing once and I took him to Mammoth. We were pretty much stuck on blues due to his ability and as the snow piled up or when we got into soft snow runs he really struggled on the narrow skis he had at the time. Given how much he progressed on the 80’s last year and just how much physically bigger and stronger he is 2 years later I expect him to do well with this setup and I can’t wait to see his reaction to receiving these!! :yahoo::cool:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For my kids(lot smaller, 5-9years old last two years) soft snow was the hardest thing for them. I think part of it was the skis, there just isn't much tip rise in even a rockered 120cm ski, and part of it was their lack of weight and strength, they are slowed down much more by a pile of soft snow, where we have the inertia to keep moving through.

Have fun with skiing with your son!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My 15 year old kid would ski the 95s all season long on mid atlantic hardpack if I gave him skis that cool looking er umm I mean that wide. Keep the 80s just in case but I doubt he'll ski them anymore after you give him the newer skis :D

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My 15 year old kid would ski the 95s all season long on mid atlantic hardpack if I gave him skis that cool looking er umm I mean that wide. Keep the 80s just in case but I doubt he'll ski them anymore after you give him the newer skis :D
Curious to see what he does in that regard. He won’t be getting the Atomics immediately. He’ll start the season on the 80’s and I’ll pick up coaching him where we left off. There’s a few things I want to accomplish there before I put him on a fatter ski. I’m going to have him do NASTAR with me this year too. I don’t expect it to take him long. He’s at the point where it’s really starting to click. He’ll get the Atomics for Christmas. I lost almost the whole last season when he went through a brief snowboarding phase and then I ended up having a kidney removed in February. He loves red too. He really likes all my Atomic race skis. He’s going to flip when he opens these. I keep just about all my skis and all of his. I buy a lot of skis with system bindings/Demo bindings so that anyone can use them and so that he could grow and I wasn’t remounting all the time. He has a lot of nieces and nephews coming up behind him that will be able to enjoy the skis he’s outgrown. I’m getting more and more of the grandkids on the slopes every year. He has friends that come out now and we have boots and boards for them. I live a half mile from a small Michigan ski hill. It’s all lit up for night skiing too. So we have some fun.

Last edited:

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
Last year I bought my son a pair of Rossignol E80’s at 176. What a great developmental ski it turned out to be. This year we’ve a few major trips planned, one of them being the Gathering, which will be 10 days for us. In light of the trips I purchased myself the Renoun Endurance 98 as we simply didn’t have any good all mountain 90-100mm skis in our arsenal. Knowing what rental costs are I started looking at Demo skis to buy a pair of 90-100’s for my 16 yr old son and ski buddy. He’s an early intermediate but progressing well. (He lives with his mom. If he lived with me he’d ski A LOT more than he does). Anyway, I was looking at 4 different skis for him. The Armada Invictus 95, the Völkl 90Eight, the 15-16 non Ti Fischer Ranger 98, and the Atomic Vantage 95C. All very good intermediate level skis. Today I pulled the trigger on these two purchases.

View media item 1955View media item 1956
I got the Atomics for 300 new in plastic and the Looks new for 90. What a great bargain on what should be a great setup for him this winter to begin progressing in 3-D snow. He’s only been outside of Michigan skiing once and I took him to Mammoth. We were pretty much stuck on blues due to his ability and as the snow piled up or when we got into soft snow runs he really struggled on the narrow skis he had at the time. Given how much he progressed on the 80’s last year and just how much physically bigger and stronger he is 2 years later I expect him to do well with this setup and I can’t wait to see his reaction to receiving these!! :yahoo::cool:

I bought the women’s version of that ski for one of my teenage daughters last year, and she really likes the ski. She’s a strong skier who likes to spend most of her time in the trees or off the trail exploring, and they’ve really worked well for her. I’’m sure your son will enjoy.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought the women’s version of that ski for one of my teenage daughters last year, and she really likes the ski. She’s a strong skier who likes to spend most of her time in the trees or off the trail exploring, and they’ve really worked well for her. I’’m sure your son will enjoy.
Thanks! I looked at them for myself but they’re too soft. I was seriously looking at the Vantage 100CTi until I was introduced to the Renouns. I think it will be a great ski to take him to the next level.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
... I can’t wait to see his reaction to receiving these!! :yahoo::cool:
No doubt, he's gonna love 'em. Good times!

I'd be very interested in hearing what you think of the Renouns; I patrol at Mt. Brighton and am in the market for a pair of 100-ish skis for my trips north and west.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No doubt, he's gonna love 'em. Good times!

I'd be very interested in hearing what you think of the Renouns; I patrol at Mt. Brighton and am in the market for a pair of 100-ish skis for my trips north and west.
I’ve never made it out to Brighton. Pine Knob is a half mile from me and Mt Holly and Alpine are only 15-20 minutes drive each. Definitely no need for anything wider than 80 at any of those places. I will definitely be posting my impressions of the Renouns. Hoping to get my first runs out at Killington over thanksgiving.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve never made it out to Brighton. Pine Knob is a half mile from me and Mt Holly and Alpine are only 15-20 minutes drive each. Definitely no need for anything wider than 80 at any of those places. I will definitely be posting my impressions of the Renouns. Hoping to get my first runs out at Killington over thanksgiving.
Yeah, it always looks odd to me when I see someone on 100s during a typical day here. Different story at Nubs, though.

Gore Mtn is about an hour closer than Killington, worth a stop if you've never been there. I much prefer it, actually.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A lot of pros still say kids should continue to learn on skinny camber skis, but my kids had so much fun last year on rockered skis that I'm not sure where I stand on the issue. When I was learning we skied 8 days a year max and I can't imagine how much easier it would have been to learn on today's skis.

I bet he'll be cruising in the woods by the end of the season. Have fun!

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot of pros still say kids should continue to learn on skinny camber skis, but my kids had so much fun last year on rockered skis that I'm not sure where I stand on the issue. When I was learning we skied 8 days a year max and I can't imagine how much easier it would have been to learn on today's skis.

I bet he'll be cruising in the woods by the end of the season. Have fun!
As I mentioned earlier....I firmly believe he needs to master a few more turn shapes and moves on the 80's and do them with strength and purpose before I put him on a wider and slightly longer ski. I think we can accomplish that in a half dozen or so outings at the local hill and a couple dozen runs through the gates. Once he is strongly in the intermediate category with some good fundamentals he can start to get comfortable on the bigger skis. I want him in the gates with me on NASTAR days so he can better learn to time his turn initiation and better learn the turn shapes and the edge to edge transitions needed to hit (or not hit :doh:) specific targets. Confidence in the gates should translate into confidence in the trees. It did for me. That's my plan anyway. I definitely want him as ready as he can be before March and so does he. He gets bummed about holding me back. It doesn't upset me. I love skiing with him. I get enough days on my own. I do look forward to the day that we both just drop pretty much everything without hesitation. That's ultimately the goal we share.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sounds like a good plan. I ski an 86 waist with camber and front rocker which works well on ice and snow up to 2.5 feet deep and will probably put them on something like that for the east while keeping my eye out for some used race skis.

Nitrobunny

Taking care of business...it’s what I do.
Skier
Ummm wait, where's the spoiled husband thread? And nope we aren't adopting any more children at this time (we did adopt two of our six) - we're too close to having this one leave the coop!!!! Just what will we do as empty nesters? Oh wait I know, move to Tahoe and..........

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ummm wait, where's the spoiled husband thread? And nope we aren't adopting any more children at this time (we did adopt two of our six) - we're too close to having this one leave the coop!!!! Just what will we do as empty nesters? Oh wait I know, move to Tahoe and..........
I made the move from Michigan to Tahoe. You can too!

Nitrobunny

Taking care of business...it’s what I do.
Skier
I made the move from Michigan to Tahoe. You can too!
I can’t wait! I’m originally from Southern California and spent most of my career in Nevada before retiring and marrying Piste Off in 2012 who was born and raised in Michigan. Unfortunately we are stuck here until his son graduates in 2019 and believe me I am over Michigan. I miss the West big time. It was great to be able to surf and ski in the same week.

Sponsor