• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Spoiled Teenager Alert!!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can’t wait! I’m originally from Southern California and spent most of my career in Nevada before retiring and marrying Piste Off in 2012 who was born and raised in Michigan. Unfortunately we are stuck here until his son graduates in 2019 and believe me I am over Michigan. I miss the West big time. It was great to be able to surf and ski in the same week.
I lived in Michigan for 44 years of my life, but I lived in Northern Michigan (just south of Traverse City), spent a lot of time mt biking, hiking and enjoying some of the amazing things Northern Michigan has to offer. I really enjoy going back home, but I can see how someone who lived a good share of their life in the mountains could be "over it"

When you come out to look at houses, give us a shout.

Last edited:
TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FIFY.

6 kids??? WOW.
My wife has 3 kids and I have 3. Collectively we have 15 grandchildren!! We are looking at large homes on the Nevada side of Tahoe so that we can gather all the grand kids and get them out into the mountains and onto the lake. The grand kids range from teenager to 2 years old. The youngest of our children is my son, AKA the spoiled teenager. He is in his junior year. Once he graduates we will be looking to make our move. He is considering joining the Ski Patrol. He may very well look at colleges where he can ski and may even follow us west.

While we were at Killington he ended up on a chair with a first time skier. They were on the Poma Quad. There was no easy way down from there for a new skier and this guy chose the worst route down Chute. My son shadowed him and ended up aiding him after a very bad crash. He called patrol and stayed with the man until they arrived and got him loaded on the sled. Patrol ended up giving Kevin a gift certificate for his assistance. He really liked being able to help someone in trouble on the mountain. I'm very proud of him. I've spent years skiing with him and teaching him the best I can and it was rewarding to see him be aware of the danger this person was in and sacrifice his own enjoyment to insure this individuals safety.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My wife has 3 kids and I have 3. Collectively we have 15 grandchildren!! We are looking at large homes on the Nevada side of Tahoe so that we can gather all the grand kids and get them out into the mountains and onto the lake. The grand kids range from teenager to 2 years old. The youngest of our children is my son, AKA the spoiled teenager. He is in his junior year. Once he graduates we will be looking to make our move. He is considering joining the Ski Patrol. He may very well look at colleges where he can ski and may even follow us west.
Thats bad parenting right there ;) ;) , We have some pretty good schools here where he can finish his senior year. As Warren Miller said, "If you don't move to ski country this year, you will be one year older when you do."

While we were at Killington he ended up on a chair with a first time skier. They were on the Poma Quad. There was no easy way down from there for a new skier and this guy chose the worst route down Chute. My son shadowed him and ended up aiding him after a very bad crash. He called patrol and stayed with the man until they arrived and got him loaded on the sled. Patrol ended up giving Kevin a gift certificate for his assistance. He really liked being able to help someone in trouble on the mountain. I'm very proud of him. I've spent years skiing with him and teaching him the best I can and it was rewarding to see him be aware of the danger this person was in and sacrifice his own enjoyment to insure this individuals safety.
Now, Thats good parenting right there. :thumb::thumb:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
He may very well look at colleges where he can ski and may even follow us west.
UNR is a pretty good school. @Matchstix is @mdf 's son, he went to college (Berkley?) and was somewhat close, but we don't see him often enough.

Cool story about your son helping the new skier at Killington. Kudos on the parenting.

We are looking at large homes on the Nevada side of Tahoe so that we can gather all the grand kids and get them out into the mountains and onto the lake.
NW Reno has some really nice options, as well as South Reno. We are in NW and really like how easy it is to get to a variety of ski options as well as the lake.
Homes are on the rise in our area, not sure about Incline. @ScotsSkier may have a better idea around there.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
He is considering joining the Ski Patrol. He may very well look at colleges where he can ski and may even follow us west.
Well since you are in Michigan, go to MTU. 1. they own Mont Ripley, 2. Ski Patrol is college courses too. 3. purchase the Boho pass for $99 and ski there too.

I would at least take an official visit to MTU in the winter. The party that goes to the visit will get a free tickets to all events in the next 24 hrs. One being Mont Ripley.

I need to add, and when you do go there, bring you Renouns. I would like to take a run. :)

Nitrobunny

Taking care of business...it’s what I do.
Skier
I lived in Michigan for 44 years of my life, but I lived in Northern Michigan (just south of Traverse City), spent a lot of time mt biking, hiking and enjoying some of the amazing things Northern Michigan has to offer. I really enjoy going back home, but I can see how someone who lived a good share of their life in the mountains could be "over it"

When you come out to look at houses, give us a shout.

We definitely will! I've had property all over Nevada and hunted the Ruby Mountains on horseback when I was younger. I'm looking forward to getting back to the state I consider home. Our plans are to buy 2 homes, one in Tahoe and the other in Vegas. I had a career that while it was exciting and took me all over the world, it was also extremely physically demanding and by the time my 30 years was done, I had fought ALL (leukemia) had two bone marrow transplants and ended up with what I call the royal flush of autoimmune diseases including RA and lupus. The extreme cold isn't exactly my friend and tends to cause some pretty painful flares. A cruel outcome to someone who was a skiing fool most of my adult life. So, the Vegas house is a place to be a little bit warmer for me, not to mention one of my sons lives in Vegas with his family and my other two boys tend to visit Vegas often. They are in Colorado and Texas. All three of them are 36 and all three have been skiing since they were 8 years old. The great side of the 30 years of service is a 401k that can easily make 2 or 3 houses possible and a pension that's more than enough to pay all our bills and allow for some awesome trips. PisteOff is only starting to ski the places I've enjoyed since my teenage years and it's fun to watch him explore and discover them. He's got lots of catching up to do and I expect him to do that all full speed (because he knows no other way to be LOL) and because life is short after all. It's definitely what you make it. He's my designated skier these days. I only wish I would have met him 20 years earlier...

Nitrobunny

Skier
We definitely will! I've had property all over Nevada and hunted the Ruby Mountains on horseback when I was younger. I'm looking forward to getting back to the state I consider home. Our plans are to buy 2 homes, one in Tahoe and the other in Vegas. I had a career that while it was exciting and took me all over the world, it was also extremely physically demanding and by the time my 30 years was done, I had fought ALL (leukemia) had two bone marrow transplants and ended up with what I call the royal flush of autoimmune diseases including RA and lupus. The extreme cold isn't exactly my friend and tends to cause some pretty painful flares. A cruel outcome to someone who was a skiing fool most of my adult life. So, the Vegas house is a place to be a little bit warmer for me, not to mention one of my sons lives in Vegas with his family and my other two boys tend to visit Vegas often. They are in Colorado and Texas. All three of them are 36 and all three have been skiing since they were 8 years old. The great side of the 30 years of service is a 401k that can easily make 2 or 3 houses possible and a pension that's more than enough to pay all our bills and allow for some awesome trips. PisteOff is only starting to ski the places I've enjoyed since my teenage years and it's fun to watch him explore and discover them. He's got lots of catching up to do and I expect him to do that all full speed (because he knows no other way to be LOL) and because life is short after all. It's definitely what you make it. He's my designated skier these days. I only wish I would have met him 20 years earlier...

Oh and I would be remiss if I did not mention that PisteOff will likely use his entire pension to buy thousands of dollars worth of ski's and ski related equipment every month....I will the good wife and sit here and smile with my 5 Saint Bernards :) Well at least one more. Samson at least deserves a Delilah :wag:

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh and I would be remiss if I did not mention that PisteOff will likely use his entire pension to buy thousands of dollars worth of ski's and ski related equipment every month....I will the good wife and sit here and smile with my 5 Saint Bernards :) Well at least one more. Samson at least deserves a Delilah :wag:
And my whole social security check will be earmarked for après ski enterprises............:beercheer:

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes dear.... :micdrop:
Seriously though, I think I am most excited about getting the grandchildren out on the mountain and teaching them to ski, watching them progress, taking them to the next level. I'll take them fly fishing and hunting, teach them to shoot, etc. It's a good way to wind down life after what will have been a 38 year career. The wife and I have also talked about getting involved in some charitable work for the US Ski Team. We'll see.

Nitrobunny

Skier
Seriously though, I think I am most excited about getting the grandchildren out on the mountain and teaching them to ski, watching them progress, taking them to the next level. I'll take them fly fishing and hunting, teach them to shoot, etc. It's a good way to wind down life after what will have been a 38 year career. The wife and I have also talked about getting involved in some charitable work for the US Ski Team. We'll see.

Oh definitely! I loved Austria where everyone over the age of two, three at the latest, was on a set of skis and in many cases, ice skates too. Many places are in the world are like that. Just think how different life would be if everyone got their kids outdoors, doing something incredibly healthy for body, mind, heart and soul instead of handing them a cell phone at 8 years old and having them obsess about the next tweet or snap. No thank you. I was incredibly fortunate to have parents who supported my aspirations. When I was diving off the roof of the house into the swimming pool at age 9 my parents instead of getting angry with me, drove me to the local park and introduced me to platform diving. Everything I wanted to try, I was giving the way to explore it regardless if it was sport, art or science. The "spoiled teenager" who this thread is about is incredibly fortunate to be the last of six children at a point in our lives where there is literally nothing we can't and won't do for him if he shows intent and desire. We have more time than we did when we were younger and we have more resources available to us when my three were his age. PisteOff spends a great deal of time and money outfitting the young man and we spend a great deal of time planning the next adventure. Being a teen in 2017 isn't easy. When we were kids we were allowed to make stupid mistakes and do dumb things because that's what teenagers do. Now if a kid does something stupid at school, police are called, tickets are written and the next thing you know it's all over social media. That's a lot of stress and pressure on a kid who's trying to figure out his place in the world. My husband does an incredible job talking with his son and being available to him. We are trying to show him a life well lived is in the details and all we really want from his is to grow up and be a decent human being. The grand children are the icing on the cake. So much fun! We've got three grandsons around three and under and it's time to get some sticks under their feet and get a little pizza french fry time in this winter. My husband will probably have them busting through gates in a few years knowing him. I wouldn't have it any other way...

Nitrobunny

Skier

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is this the part where I feign surprise and amazement or do I just smile sweetly and say “Well isn’t that nice???” I think I’ll go with the second one! :)
A simple "you're right" will suffice.

Sponsor

Staff online